AB whines again

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Troubled Browns receiver showing signs of maturity
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

For the Dayton Daily News

The story of Cleveland Browns WR Antonio Bryant and the controversy that surrounds him is one that has been told like a tall tale around a campfire. From his playing days at the University of Pittsburgh where reports of sideline temper tantrums and off-the-field problems plagued him, to the pros where he was kicked out of Cowboys practice after arguing with coaches. His character issues eventually landed him in Cleveland via trade, and he's looking to make a fresh start.

Tools
Top 5 stories
June 27 in Miami Valley sports history
Former Bombers owner fighting health problems
Hey, ba-bee! It's the Buckeyes
Kyle Nagel chats with star runner Jeff See
Clock ticking on '05 title chances
Drafted by Dallas in the second round in 2002, Bryant enters his fourth year not having lived up to his potential. In three seasons, he has accumulated 141 receptions for 2,095 yards and 12 touchdowns, which are decent numbers for an average receiver, but for a one-time Biletnikoff Award winner and consensus All-American, more is expected.

The blame for lack of numbers doesn't fall solely on the shoulders of the once-dominant receiver. In his defense, he has had to deal with some adversity in his short career.

"Every year I have been in the league I've gone through changes," Bryant said. "My first year, I had (Dave) Campo, the next year we got Bill (Parcells), and the next year I had Bill for a half a season. I came here with Butch (Davis) and his staff, and now this year I have Romeo (Crennel). So every year I'm looking for continuity, a consistent offense, a consistent quarterback, that's all."

The Browns made several changes over the off-season to insure that there will be some consistency on offense. Bringing in veteran QB Trent Dilfer should help the team's cause tremendously.

Known primarily for his playmaking ability in college, Bryant remains optimistic that he can be the same playmaker at the pro level.

"I make plays when given the opportunity," he said. "It's just all about taking advantage of how many opportunities present themselves. The best way to make opportunities is be consistent in practice and just be humble, and when it comes it's kind of like a flow. They just keep bringing it to you because they depend on you. Until then, you can do only as much as you can do."

Everyone in the league knows what the volatile receiver is capable of while on the field; however, it's the things that take place while off the field that are cause for concern. Although Bryant has been a model citizen for the Browns thus far, there are still those who feel that it's just a matter of time before the outspoken receiver erupts like Mt. St. Helens. Those nonbelievers may be waiting a long time to see the eruption because, according to Bryant, he has put all the negatives behind him.

"As long as you're doing something, somebody is going to have something to say," he said. "If I was doing nothing I would just be another guy in the locker room with a number. I'm trying to do something here so there are going to be some things said. When you shake some things up some people don't always agree with that. But if you look at it, that's how people are made. You know, the people who aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in and go against the grain and get things done."

Bryant was one mellow fellow in the locker room during minicamp and may just be misunderstood because of the passion that he has for the game. He welcomes the challenge of being a leader as well as leading the offense to prominence. That being said, his maturity level appears to be reaching heights needed for him to be recognized for his performance on the field rather than off.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
"As long as you're doing something, somebody is going to have something to say," he said. "If I was doing nothing I would just be another guy in the locker room with a number. I'm trying to do something here so there are going to be some things said. When you shake some things up some people don't always agree with that. But if you look at it, that's how people are made. You know, the people who aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in and go against the grain and get things done."

Another classic!

I don't know if it qualifies as whining, but that paragraph above is the clearest example I have ever seen of the use of indefinite pronouns (something, nothing, anybody, somebody) to say zilch. His use of 'some" and "things" would put any middle school student to shame. Too bad he left out "stuff".

Gotta love it. :)

Eddie

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't sense any whining from AB.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
If he ever makes it to the Pro Bowl........................ :bang2:.

This could turn out to be the worst move BP made considering both our starting WRs are lacking in some aspects (Keyshawn - Speed and Glenn - the stones to take a pounding over 16 games) and the fact that they are both on the downside of their careers.

Parcells was too old to deal with Bryant, but 2 years from now if Bryant is dominating and Parcells is gone, I'll be pissed. :banghead:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Charles said:
If he ever makes it to the Pro Bowl........................ :bang2:.

This could turn out to be the worst move BP made considering both our starting WRs are lacking in some aspects (Keyshawn - Speed and Glenn - the stones to take a pounding over 16 games) and the fact that they are both on the downside of their careers.

Parcells was too old to deal with Bryant, but 2 years from now if Bryant is dominating and Parcells is gone, I'll be pissed. :banghead:

And if Morgan make it to the Pro Bowl.

BP didnt trust Bryant to run his routes like he was suppose to, didnt think he had the heart to play for THIS team, so why keep him here, he didnt want to play for us, so yea i'm glad we did send him away

burmafrd

Reaction score
Good riddance to the headcase. I do not believe he has the discipline or common sense ever to really make it big. He is just another moss, only much less of a player.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Huh?

Talk about agendas... :)

The article's title is "Troubled Browns receiver showing signs of maturity"

And the thread title is about him whining again.

Shame on you Kitty. :eek: ;)

I'd still take Bryant over Morgan in a second.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Huh?

id take him over any of our wrs....(prepares for ltn's crusade for terry to enter this thread ;))

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Huh?

Potential means nothing if you dont have the heart to play, and he hasnt showed mean he has the heart to play the game 110% and do what it takes to be great.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Potential means nothing if you dont have the heart to play, and he hasnt showed mean he has the heart to play the game 110% and do what it takes to be great.

I didn't say he was great...

I said I'd take him over Morgan in a second.

:)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Antonio Bryant said:
"You know, the people who aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in and go against the grain and get things done."

Get what done?

Throw your jersey in the face of your head coach and become a distraction to your team because you did not like the fact that an established veteran like Keyshawn Johnson was getting more repetitions than you?

How exactly was that getting anything done other than serving your own childish agenda?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Juke99 said:

Well, some of us :) are more capable of forgiving tossed jerseys than others.

Last night I re-watched last season's Dallas-Cleveland game. Morgan played SO poorly that it's stunning, even in retrospect that we accepted him as trade for AB. I mean, not just the end zone drop on a fairly easy catch and other dropsies, but the pick he could have so easily preventing by just edging his body a bit.

That he did little more here...no surprise.

Goes to show how low AB had sunk here....getting "something" for him was 100 percent face saver, I 'spose. Two teams unloading unwanted goods. And it's all on AB...the DC radio guys laughed it up last year, saying AB's team-mates simply rolled their eyes whenever he opened his mouth.

I've got my money on Crayton. If Haley can do something with Morgan, injured OR healthy, he deserves a raise.

A BIG one

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Huh?

Question to those who are still pining away fro the next Michael Irvin---

Do you miss the idea of Antonio Bryant or the reality?

Do you miss the two great plays he made in his Dallas career?

Or do you miss the inconsistency, the poutiness and the attitude?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Question to those who are still pining away fro the next Michael Irvin---

Do you miss the idea of Antonio Bryant or the reality?

Do you miss the two great plays he made in his Dallas career?

Or do you miss the inconsistency, the poutiness and the attitude?

OK..so do you think it's possible to actually respond to what I posted rather that what you interpret (incorrectly)

Let's review.

I wrote, I'd take Bryant over Morgan (you know, the guy who has to learn to change the position of his hands when catching a ball) in a second.

I didn't say he's a hall of fame receiver.

Geezlouise.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tio said:
id take him over any of our wrs....(prepares for ltn's crusade for terry to enter this thread ;))
ROFL!

Find, my friend, one post where I crusaded for Terry Glenn.

One.

PS. Saying he's better than Gallowaste don't count. :)

Hey, Tio, I'd take Lav Coles and Jerry Porter over Terry and Key combined.

But AB...he can't hold T's jock strap.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Well, some of us :) are more capable of forgiving tossed jerseys than others.

Last night I re-watched last season's Dallas-Cleveland game. Morgan played SO poorly that it's stunning, even in retrospect that we accepted him as trade for AB. I mean, not just the end zone drop on a fairly easy catch and other dropsies, but the pick he could have so easily preventing by just edging his body a bit.

That he did little more here...no surprise.

Goes to show how low AB had sunk here....getting "something" for him was 100 percent face saver, I 'spose. Two teams unloading unwanted goods. And it's all on AB...the DC radio guys laughed it up last year, saying AB's team-mates simply rolled their eyes whenever he opened his mouth.

I've got my money on Crayton. If Haley can do something with Morgan, injured OR healthy, he deserves a raise.

A BIG one

Yeah..well considering how you put me on the trading block when I tossed my jersey at you, I know which group you fit into. :)

The killer for me with Morgan was that whole thing about how he is being taught to have his left hand above his right when catching passes from the left side...My lord.

I'm with you. I'm very hopeful about Crayton.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Yeah..well considering how you put me on the trading block when I tossed my jersey at you, I know which group you fit into. :)

The killer for me with Morgan was that whole thing about how he is being taught to have his left hand above his right when catching passes from the left side...My lord.

I'm with you. I'm very hopeful about Crayton.

I have a question for you, woudl you rather have a WR who's willing to learn what to do to be a great WR(obvisouly they weren't teaching this in Cleavand...no wonder the suck) Or a WR who is gonna throw Jeresy in your coaches face becausea WR was brought in to help and mentor you in becoming a great WR.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
ROFL!

Find, my friend, one post where I crusaded for Terry Glenn.

One.

PS. Saying he's better than Gallowaste don't count. :)

Hey, Tio, I'd take Lav Coles and Jerry Porter over Terry and Key combined.

But AB...he can't hold T's jock strap.
Me too. Coles is a talent, when he is in the right offense, and porter is just studly. T has been productive, but ab, a dominating wr in college with loads of potential, is 23-24 i think. Terry won't be very productive for very long.