Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Next man up...if they even become the top paid, usually only raises the bar by a million or so
I agree with this somewhat........Burrow is the top-paid QB at $55M. The word is Dak is looking to become the next highest paid. Some have thrown $60M out there but we don't know that. Hell, Dak even admitted he's not looking to be the highest paid but he then said well not yet. Just me, but I think Jerry will sign him today for $50-53M but Dak wants more. \

He has mentioned betting on himself more than a few times. This tells me he already have a nice offer on the table but thinks he can increase that with a good season that includes a deep playoff run and he is probably right. If he gets this team to NFCCG and/or the Super Bowl, $60M will probably his floor.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don’t understand how anyone can defend Jerry or the Jones family after watching them handle the Prescott contract situation. Amateur doesn’t quite cut it here. This is a master class on how not to be a GM.
Ok, so how would you of dealt with it differently?

Whilst blame can easily levelled at Jerry, the passive/aggressive PR soundbites (from both sides) indicates they're positions are far apart.

You cant 'handle it properly' unless both parties are willing to compromise on a deal. The last contract (Money, guaranteed money, LENGTH of Contract, NTC and no-FT) kind of indicated a one sided capitulation, and unless France/Dak has moved from that position, then Jerry's quite right in querying/stalling on whether .....this may be a contract too far.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree with this somewhat........Burrow is the top-paid QB at $55M. The word is Dak is looking to become the next highest paid. Some have thrown $60M out there but we don't know that. Hell, Dak even admitted he's not looking to be the highest paid but he then said well not yet. Just me, but I think Jerry will sign him today for $50-53M but Dak wants more. \

He has mentioned betting on himself more than a few times. This tells me he already have a nice offer on the table but thinks he can increase that with a good season that includes a deep playoff run and he is probably right. If he gets this team to NFCCG and/or the Super Bowl, $60M will probably his floor.
Say it once again.....it's not the money that's the obstacle, it's the length of contract and (probably) a NTC. A couple of million either way isnt going to matter,

If Dak wants a 3/4 year deal then we cant afford the CAP hit (especially with the additional $40m Void money to add on). We need a longer contract to help spread out the hits.

plymkr

Reaction score
The last contract (Money, guaranteed money, LENGTH of Contract, NTC and no-FT) kind of indicated a one sided capitulation, and unless France/Dak has moved from that position, then Jerry's quite right in querying/stalling on whether .....this may be a contract too far.
I would handle it differently by not capitulating to him again. Dak and France got everything they wanted in the last negotiations and Jerry did not get quality play in the playoffs. Jerry can’t do that again.

On a global level, like an all around view, I feel Jerry over values our players and undervalues FAs. I feel Jerry has overpaid for his comfort zone (Lawrence, Zeke) in the past and I hope he starts going outside of his comfort zone in the future. That’s what I would do differently.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak need to be pushed.
Nice in theory, however, does Dak rise to a challenge or adversity? Post season, struggles when managing comebacks and even the last time he was in a contract year when going 1-3 (or if being ungenerous 1-4 as we trailed vs NYG).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would handle it differently by not capitulating to him again. Dak and France got everything they wanted in the last negotiations and Jerry did not get quality play in the playoffs. Jerry can’t do that again.

On a global level, like an all around view, I feel Jerry over values our players and undervalues FAs. I feel Jerry has overpaid for his comfort zone (Lawrence, Zeke) in the past and I hope he starts going outside of his comfort zone in the future. That’s what I would do differently.
Argh I get you. I assumed the below was a criticism of this years 'negotiation', when I agree, this years problem stems from the historical capitulation....why wouldnt any agent push Jerry around as he's likely to give in.
I don’t understand how anyone can defend Jerry or the Jones family after watching them handle the Prescott contract situation. Amateur doesn’t quite cut it here. This is a master class on how not to be a GM.

pitt33

Reaction score
If Jerry has lost faith in those guys due to their playoff performances then none of them have leverage.
This.

How could he not?

This is exactly what he meant by “see more leaves fall”.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I mean he is not wrong. Dak is in position to be the first top 10 QB in the free agency era to be able to enter unrestricted free agency with 4-5 years left of their prime and, other than an extension, there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. That is a mountain of leverage. Short of an injury situation, like when Drew Brees had an injury that made people wonder if he could throw again in his last year with Chargers, he will have the most leverage you could possibly have.
I would say still Peyton. He had 4 awesome years with the Broncos, and while we didn’t know how he’d come back from the neck injury, a more limited Peyton Manning would have still been #1

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As long as Dak "holds all the cards" Jerry & Son will capitulate accordingly.

That's just how they roll. They don't know how to manage wisely.

Unfortunately, they'll always set themselves up to fail.

Amateur GM's will forever be just that . . . o_O

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
Argh I get you. I assumed the below was a criticism of this years 'negotiation', when I agree, this years problem stems from the historical capitulation....why wouldnt any agent push Jerry around as he's likely to give in.
Bingo. Until Jerry shows he can’t be pushed then he’ll always lose. I guess in my post should have been more specific because it did sound like I was talking just about the Dak contract. I’ve had this issue with Jerry going back 7-10 years now.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is NO offer made by the Jones boys.
Both sides have pretty much confirmed this.
What are you talking about? :huh:

Adreme

Reaction score
I would say still Peyton. He had 4 awesome years with the Broncos, and while we didn’t know how he’d come back from the neck injury, a more limited Peyton Manning would have still been #1
Even without the injuries at 36 you are not in your prime anymore and certainly are not going to be in your prime for the next 5 years. He was very good for those 3 years (he was objectively bad that last year) but between "will he look anything like what he did before at 36 after major neck surgery" makes you not the best QB FA ever.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Not sure what Schefter’s argument is. The best leverage is actually being good. If the team doesn’t think a player is good, those parameters don’t matter. The reason Dak is without a new contract today is because he has not played well in the playoffs the past three seasons.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Is it possible for the Cowboys to have handled the 'Dak Prescott contract situation' any worse than they have the last 5 years???
They have because the can. There are no repercussions for how this organization is run. There are plenty of fans who believe that if Dak does not re-sign, that Dak was being greedy and the front office will win in the court of public opinion. And even if they lose in the court of public opinion, how much do they really care? They are 1 of 2 NFC teams they have not reached a conference title game in the last 30 years and it has not hurt their bottom line!

Do I think they want to win? That's what they say. Do they want to make the tough decisions to win? Show me the evidence that they do. Jason Garrett should have never been retained as long as he was. Jaylon Smith should have never had a 2nd round pick used on him or extended. Randy Gregory should have never had a 2nd round pick used on him. I mean those are 2 picks that they KNEW were not ready to contribute. And what organization uses a premium pick on a player that they KNEW could not contribute other than an organization where there are no repercussions for mind boggling decisions. The last 3 off-seasons (including this one) the Cowboys have lost in EMBARASSING fashion in the playoffs and the teams has VISIBLY downgraded the team going into the following season. They sit out free agency because they say they want to keep their own, then they turn re-signing their own into a circus. I could go on and on, but if you follow this team, you already know the history.

I will not minimize 12-5, BUT.....BUT.......the way the 49ers and Packers have completely dominated us in the playoffs should force all people that UNDERSTAND football to put 12-5 into perspective. We are a LONG ways from winning 4 straight postseason games. If you cannot run and/or stop the run, you will NOT win 4 straight games in the playoffs. It's not rocket science

I cannot...and I mean cannot......stand the Jones Boys.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Not sure what Schefter’s argument is. The best leverage is actually being good. If the team doesn’t think a player is good, those parameters don’t matter. The reason Dak is without a new contract today is because he has not played well in the playoffs the past three seasons.
Fine...than move on and play Trey Lance. I would think you traded for Lance and our paying him a LOT of money this season for this very scenario. Because you could have Cooper Rush at a fraction of the cost of what you are paying Trey Lance. Without Trey Lance numbers on the book, you could have signed Derrick Henry!

What are you afraid of? Trey Lance playing and completely wetting the bed and looking like a front office that is a joke! Well sell the team because you are in the wrong business if that is what you are trying to protect.

Seriously, Dak could win the MVP this year and he could still decide to walk because you made him play all year without any protection for his future. Same for McCarthy. It's already gone too far. McCarthy is already stating that being a lame duck coach is hard on his family.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I can say with near certainty that he would have no trouble getting 60m per year from multiple suitors. Its not even a question about if but rather which one.
Then let them have him. Dak is not the long term answer so why should this team anchor themselves to him.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
There are teams that haven’t sniffed a 12 win season in awhile let alone 3 consecutive ones, that would be happy to pay Dak.

A move like that would energize their fan base and be a great marketing move.

Getting to a Super Bowl or championship game becomes secondary to fans who are just happy to make the playoffs.

Cowboy fan’s expectations are generally higher than fans of teams that wallow in actual mediocrity.

With no dog in this fight, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Adreme

Reaction score
Then let them have him. Dak is not the long term answer so why should this team anchor themselves to him.
The list of teams who got rid of top 10 QBs in their prime and got better in the short or medium term is very short. So short in fact that I could hand you a piece of paper with the name "Jared Goff to Detroit" on it and that is your list for this century, though the Rams obviously still came out ahead. You have a top 10 QB now and one who will likely, barring injury, still be that in 5 years and that is about as long term as you can think in the NFL.