Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If everything you listed happens to Dak this season he’ll still be signed for over $50 million AAV with some team. It’s not like teams think the Cowboys have worked hard this off season to surround Dak with a stronger team. The guy is going to be paid a lot of money to play quarterback for an NFL team beyond 2024. Most likely the Dallas Cowboys.
"It only takes one". I completely get that but I have a hard time seeing many front offices thinking that's a path they want to tie their future to. Unless they have just been a dumpster fire and middle of the pack would be huge leap. But if they are a dumpster fire & pay a QB that kind of money, how do they rebuild other parts of the team?

I guess we will find out.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If that loss convinced Jerry this current team can’t get over the hump then Dak has no leverage.
I don't think enough people get this. If the Jones don't want to continue the current relationship, there isn't squat Dak can do to change that. He can either ride out the final season hoping to survive healthy & seek a FA payday or he can decide to accept a trade and get the money now. Neither of which gives him leverage over the Jones.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Real GMs don't base team stats to individual play.

I bet you don't respond
Well, you lost that bet. Please have my cash neatly arranged & delivered promptly.

Who said anything about team stats? I'm talking the individual stats that agent & player bring to the negotiation table to tell folks just how awesome they are and why the deserve to be the highest paid person ever.

GINeric

Reaction score
Dak performs when he's comfortable....not when he's out of comfort zone. Pressurising him, be it chasing a deficit, or thinking someone's waiting to take his job IS THE LAST THING HE NEEDS.

Not when he's chasing a deficit? In his first four years alone, he was second in NFL history for game winning drives within that time frame.

He's not Mahomes clutch or guys on that level, but since 2016, he's ranked 12th in 4th quarter game winning drives. That's not great, but he's not on bum status when chasing a deficit either.

GINeric

Reaction score
He had a running game during that time

Well not many quarterbacks are playing well without a running game. As a matter of fact, he became 2nd team All Pro and was in MVP consideration WITHOUT a running game last year. People don't give him credit for that.

He's not elite, but name me five quarterbacks who had success in the playoffs or became an All Pro without a running game.

The next question is.... if most quarterbacks can't succeed without a running and then toss in playing on a team that led the league in penalties for 3 straight seasons.... why is Dak expected to?

Again... if other quarterbacks can't do it then why is Dak expected to?? Yes Dak need to LEAD us better in tighter situations but it's hilarious how he's expected to do things others haven't done.

Make that make sense....

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I mean he is not wrong. Dak is in position to be the first top 10 QB in the free agency era to be able to enter unrestricted free agency with 4-5 years left of their prime and, other than an extension, there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. That is a mountain of leverage. Short of an injury situation, like when Drew Brees had an injury that made people wonder if he could throw again in his last year with Chargers, he will have the most leverage you could possibly have.
Drew Brees with San Diego was not even as good as Kirk Cousins with Washington. Dak will be in a unique situation. I know France is pushing Dak to wait for free agency. I think Dak wants to stay in Dallas, I expect a deal over the summer.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Well not many quarterbacks are playing well without a running game. As a matter of fact, he became 2nd team All Pro and was in MVP consideration WITHOUT a running game last year. People don't give him credit for that.

He's not elite, but name me five quarterbacks who had success in the playoffs or became an All Pro without a running game.

The next question is.... if most quarterbacks can't succeed without a running and then toss in playing on a team that led the league in penalties for 3 straight seasons.... why is Dak expected to?

Again... if other quarterbacks can't do it then why is Dak expected to?? Yes Dak need to LEAD us better in tighter situations but it's hilarious how he's expected to do things others haven't done.

Make that make sense....
I have to assume you are not a youngster & have seen enough to understand some players are just natural playmakers and some aren't. Some become an even better player under the most intense pressure, some crumble. Dak falls in the latter of those. Don't know what more to tell you.

GINeric

Reaction score
Dak Prescott neither pushed nor took Tony Romo's job. Either would be true if Romo had not been injured and Prescott had out-competed his predecessor in training camp, preseason or demonstrated in live games as a substitute. As a result, Prescott would have outperformed Romo in head-to-head competition as evaluated by the coaches' assessment of the two players.

No. Romo, the starting quarterback, was injured during a preseason game. Kellen Moore, the backup quarterback, was injured in practice during preseason. Prescott, the third string quarterback, became the starter due to injuries suffered by the two players slotted above him.

Prescott played admirably during his rookie season. His performance level convinced Jerry Jones (and Jason Garrett) that Prescott should not be regulated back to backup quarterback (per Moore's injury) when Romo was deemed medically fit to return as the starter. The Jones' decision was underscored by the additional decision Romo and Prescott would not compete in practice at that time.

The above is the true account of the team's starting quarterback transition between Romo and Prescott. It does not contest any counter-argument stating or debating which player was the best quarterback suited to lead the offense in 2016. It is solely a written account of the opportunity afforded to Prescott in becoming the starter of the Dallas Cowboys that season.

The best ability is availability. Dak's overall production proves he's a better overall quarterback than Romo. I think Romo had a better downfield ball and made a few better off-schedule plays, but Romo was a turnover machine too many times.

Yes Dak had one bad year of turnovers and had crucial turnovers in the playoffs.... but Romo gave the ball away more. Imo Dak took his job, period. It's no disrespect to Romo but Dak came in playing better. Dak became a full-time starter before Romo. That's just the reality of it.

One day, someone will come along and take Dak’s job in Dallas. It's just the cycle of NFL life.

GINeric

Reaction score
I have to assume you are not a youngster & have seen enough to understand some players are just natural playmakers and some aren't. Some become an even better player under the most intense pressure, some crumble. Dak falls in the latter of those. Don't know what more to tell you.

There are many variables when it comes a team succeeding. You're absolutely right about some players being natural play makers and some not.

I respect your opinion of Dak falling in the latter of those, but here's my question to that. If Dak falls in the latter of those, why haven't other quarterbacks in the "latter level" been able to become All Pro and placed in MVP consideration without a running game like Dak did?

Let's say I agree with you about Dak being in the latter category. Why haven't other quarterbacks in this same situation do what he's done? Surely a quarterback's production from the latter level could be easily duplicated, correct?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He only has leverage if JJ allows him to have leverage. It looks to me like maybe JJ is willing to let him go. If that’s the case, Stats has no leverage.
You could possibly say that JJ is using the no trade clause as his own leverage. Stats can’t go anywhere until next year and JJ is going to get every last bit out of him that he can. Get the 3rd comp next year and roll with someone different behind center.
What does Jerry Jones have to do with Dak’s ”leverage”? His leverage is he’s an NFL quarterback, he’s experienced, has performed well in recent years, he’s in his early 30’s, and he’ll be a free agent meaning he can sign with a team and that team does not have to give the Cowboys any compensation if they sign him. That’s his leverage. There is nothing Jerry Jones can do to change it. If Dak were to be injured on the fourth play from scrimmage in the opener vs. the Browns and miss the entire season, like Rodgers last season, he’ll still be signed by a team for over $50 million AAV in 2025. That’s leverage.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins has a very similar resume to Dak, except he's in his late 30s and blew out his Achilles. He got paid $45M/yr in free agency.

Jared Goff is about Dak's age and is a similar type of player. He just got $52M/yr from the Lions.

There's no way on Earth that Dak gets less than $50M/yr on the open market. "He's not a winner" - do Goff and Cousins strike you as winners? They had no problems getting paid.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don't think enough people get this. If the Jones don't want to continue the current relationship, there isn't squat Dak can do to change that. He can either ride out the final season hoping to survive healthy & seek a FA payday or he can decide to accept a trade and get the money now. Neither of which gives him leverage over the Jones.
The point isn’t leverage over Jerry Jones. Dak will have leverage in contract negotiations seeking player compensation continuing his playing career. He has no more leverage over Jerry than over any other NFL ownership group. And no less leverage. If the Cowboys don’t want Dak then they don’t really matter. The only question then is, why is he still here?

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
If he is the Cowboys quarterback in 2025 it will be because they outbid all interested teams.
Not necessarily true. GM Jethro can sign him know without having to our bud other teams.

Gam Jethro is not very smart.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I appreciate your answer. I see a rather short list of potential suitors due to current QB commitments by a lot of teams. Most teams who have invested high picks aren't going to punt so easily unless their guy completely craps the bed. The money side is tricky because teams often have tools at their disposal to change their cap situation. So a team that might not look financially able could emerge.

Just for clarity, I don't want another team to face tampering violations. I want them to give us those picks & sign Dak to a crippling contract just to end the saga here and set us up for taking our shot at getting a highly talented young'un.
What we want and reality are not the same. Zero chance Dak gets traded.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What if he things go poorly & he doesn't even keep the stats rolling?

What if he were to get benched at some point?

What if he gets injured?

Are they really lining up to pay that kind of money to a QB who would be entering his 10th season when he stepped on the field for them while never even getting team to a conference championship?
Did Kurt Cousins get paid???

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Not necessarily true. GM Jethro can sign him know without having to our bud other teams.

Gam Jethro is not very smart.
Well, yes. Jerry, right now, would have to offer Dak what Todd France thinks Dak’s services are worth in today’s NFL. Next March Jerry will only have to offer what he’s worth to other NFL teams. Either way, it’s a lot of money. The funniest thing is Cowboys’ fans fantasy that Lance will emerge as a better quarterback than Dak. If that were to happen Lance’s agent will want more money for his client than Prescott signs for. Lance becomes a free agent the same day Prescott does.