Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given Stephen Jones’ negotiating ‘skills’, is anyone surprised?

full

shabazz

Reaction score
The sad part is that leverage is not related to his play on the field. Most of it comes from the ridiculously poor deal Jerry signed last time around. Giving up the no trade clause, no franchise tag, and signing for only 4 years put Jerry in the situation he is in today. He basically has no leverage unless he wants to start an irreparable confrontation with Dak in order to trade him.
Yup......it's says more about Jerry than Rayne Dakota.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Given Stephen Jones’ negotiating ‘skills’, is anyone surprised?

full
The mistake Stephen made before was signing players too early.

Crawford, DLaw, Jaylon. Your favorite contract hits. They are waiting to see now in contrast.

The Cowboys are operating differently. They do not procedurally restructure year by year to the degree they used to. The Diggs contract wasn't significantly backloaded last year. Nevermind the deal for Diggs looks damn good now.

Now it may crash and burn and but then again it might not. At least it is different.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you don't think Jerry knows how much it will take to sign him????? I agree there may not be an official offer but I'm 100% confident they have exchanged numbers. It's probably why they BOTH agreed to stall negotiation.
I am extremely confident they don't want him back (even at a bargain rate) and have set him up to fail big time this coming season so there is no doubt ( from the hate mongers) when he departs.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
When a team can decide to let you know to play out a contract and not sign you to a ridiculous one, said the team has leverage. If the Joneses' decide to not pay Dak and let him walk, will Dak feel the leverage still to get that amount of money elsewhere? Who on earth will pay him what he wants? If anybody has leverage in the organization it's Ceedee or Micah...you know, guys who are good at their job

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i think if he has no contract by the start of the regular season he will be allowed to walk into being a free agent if he had done much better in the playoffs he would of already had a contract extension

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
When a team can decide to let you know to play out a contract and not sign you to a ridiculous one, said the team has leverage. If the Joneses' decide to not pay Dak and let him walk, will Dak feel the leverage still to get that amount of money elsewhere? Who on earth will pay him what he wants? If anybody has leverage in the organization it's Ceedee or Micah...you know, guys who are good at their job
LOL LOL........you are way off

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Untrue, and here’s why….if Prescott absolutely wants to remain a Cowboy under any circumstance, there’s a number where Jerry and kid would be foolish to refuse it.

If he wants to leave under any circumstance, there isn’t a thing Jerry/kid can do about it.

Prescott is in full control of whether he wants to stay or go.
How does any of this make what I said untrue?

Both of them can make decisions independently. That doesn't give either side leverage.

Prescott could want to stay but if the Jones don't want him, that's hardly full control.

On a side note, just because I have seen comments in these threads that seem to confuse supply & demand vs leverage. There are only so many jobs and even fewer qualified candidates. That's just supply & demand. It doesn't give any starting caliber QB any more leverage than any other available QB.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
LOL......I assume you mean Jerry won't bother making him an offer. There is nothing he can do to stop Dak from testing the market if chooses to do so.
you are correct i dont think jerry makes him a offer at least i hope he dont him a offer dak is what he is and he is not a championship qb

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, sit back and let those dollars go up-and-up. And wait for somebody else to pay. Bye

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And like the Cowboys they are not contractually obligated to a quarterback in 2025. I agree. That’s the kind of situation Dak will be seeking.
If the Steelers aren't decent this year, wouldn't that probably mean the end of Tomlin's tenure & a rebuild for the organization?

If so, why would a rebuilding team want to tie up that kind of resources on a aging QB? Would they still owe Russ something?

I just think there are more layers to these scenario's than who may need a QB and do they have cap space. Honestly layers that us fans don't even know about or have the full picture.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL......I assume you mean Jerry won't bother making him an offer. There is nothing he can do to stop Dak from testing the market if chooses to do so.
Trust me on this one as Jerry won't care...............
No offense but do you think he will be such a valued commodity having accomplished very little in his career but great stats against lousy teams?
Common now man NFL GM watches the same games we do..................trust me he ain't no golden cow here!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
against lousy teams?
You do know this is a fan phrase, right? You won't hear it inside NFL locker rooms or coaches and GM.
Better yet.....find me a quote of a GM or coach calling another NFL team lousy or bad. They may admit teams having injuries to key players even then they any team can beat another team on any given Sunday. But you know this Pappy........lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mistake Stephen made before was signing players too early.

Crawford, DLaw, Jaylon. Your favorite contract hits. They are waiting to see now in contrast.
I think you’re bundling very different contracts and circumstances together here.

Lawrence was franchise tagged - twice - before they signed him. That’s the OPPOSITE of early.
The Cowboys are operating differently. They do not procedurally restructure year by year to the degree they used to. The Diggs contract wasn't significantly backloaded last year. Nevermind the deal for Diggs looks damn good now.

Now it may crash and burn and but then again it might not. At least it is different.
They haven’t recently because they couldn’t. The previous kicking the can on Prescott’s deal is what’s got them in the predicament that they’re in now. And it’s given all leverage to the player and agent.

It’s been stated many times - and rightfully so - that top contracts only go up the longer teams wait.

Other teams realize that and are making efforts to get deals done sooner. Meanwhile, the Joneses continue to wait and watch costs continue to rise.