Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

DCwarrior

Reaction score
What does Jerry Jones have to do with Dak’s ”leverage”? His leverage is he’s an NFL quarterback, he’s experienced, has performed well in recent years, he’s in his early 30’s, and he’ll be a free agent meaning he can sign with a team and that team does not have to give the Cowboys any compensation if they sign him. That’s his leverage. There is nothing Jerry Jones can do to change it. If Dak were to be injured on the fourth play from scrimmage in the opener vs. the Browns and miss the entire season, like Rodgers last season, he’ll still be signed by a team for over $50 million AAV in 2025. That’s leverage.
If JJ doesn’t want him back the leverage is gone pal.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
What does Jerry Jones have to do with Dak’s ”leverage”? His leverage is he’s an NFL quarterback, he’s experienced, has performed well in recent years, he’s in his early 30’s, and he’ll be a free agent meaning he can sign with a team and that team does not have to give the Cowboys any compensation if they sign him. That’s his leverage. There is nothing Jerry Jones can do to change it. If Dak were to be injured on the fourth play from scrimmage in the opener vs. the Browns and miss the entire season, like Rodgers last season, he’ll still be signed by a team for over $50 million AAV in 2025. That’s leverage.
The OP was about Daks leverage on Cowboys. He needs no leverage on other teams as he might be a FA. Quit panicking.

Qcard

Reaction score
I actually hope Lance looks great in the preseason. Dak need to be pushed. If things don't work out for Dak then we can go ahead and lean on Lance and see what happens.
This scenario is a natural progression.

Sadly, we have weird narratives about Trey, whom has less than 500 passes.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the posting.

Timestamp 3:09 - 3:31 (link)

Barry Church: "...then Witten. Witten of all cats. And you how you know how Witten was in that locker room with Romo. Like they was, they still to this day probably best friends whatever the case may be. But when Wiitten said, " You know, nah, this is this is this is this is #4's go." Basically, like this is like Dak Squad. We got we got to ride with this man. That's when it was like oh okay that that's where we're going."

The above is essentially everything you have based your opinion upon. I have zero problem with Barry Church or shall dispute his first-hand account of what Jason Witten said. However, Barry Church's statements do not counter anything I said earlier.

Jason Witten is a player. Players are influencers. Players are not roster decision-makers. Jason Garrett is the head coach. Coaches are roster decision-maker and Garrett's decisions were not questioned as long as they agreed with Jerry Jones' wishes. Jones was the roster decision-maker at the time, before that time and still to this day when it comes to final changes.

Witten could have approached Jones and said to his face the EXACT same opinion which Church was privy too. Witten could have even elaborated upon and made an impassioned suggestion to Jones for keeping Prescott as the starting quarterback in addition to what Church knew Witten said. In turn, Jones could have agreed with Witten's input 100%. It is all still equally irrelevant.

Players can influence coaching changes, player changes (e.g. Prescott to Romo), etc. Owners, who also happen to be self-appointed general managers, decide and enforce all actual changes. And, as I have stated many times over the years, Jones, a sizeable number of fans, a large segment of the media and--as Church conveyed in the video--players on the team (including Witten), were all enraptured by the mass 'team chemistry' euphoria of that season. Jones agreed with not only Witten but many others in kicking Romo to the curb and placing 100% of his support in Prescott.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best ability is availability. Dak's overall production proves he's a better overall quarterback than Romo. I think Romo had a better downfield ball and made a few better off-schedule plays, but Romo was a turnover machine too many times.

Yes Dak had one bad year of turnovers and had crucial turnovers in the playoffs.... but Romo gave the ball away more. Imo Dak took his job, period. It's no disrespect to Romo but Dak came in playing better. Dak became a full-time starter before Romo. That's just the reality of it.

One day, someone will come along and take Dak’s job in Dallas. It's just the cycle of NFL life.
I am not seeking to change your opinion for why the team's quarterback transition occurred that season.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The point isn’t leverage over Jerry Jones. Dak will have leverage in contract negotiations seeking player compensation continuing his playing career. He has no more leverage over Jerry than over any other NFL ownership group. And no less leverage. If the Cowboys don’t want Dak then they don’t really matter. The only question then is, why is he still here?
I was specific in my comments being about leverage with the Cowboys as that was what I believed to be the subject of the comment I was responding to.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Did Kurt Cousins get paid???
Not 60 mil nor by the team he had been playing for.

I don't think anyone has argued that any halfway legit QB isn't going to be able to find a job. The questions have been what is the appropriate salary slotting for guys who aren't elite & when do you move on from a guy regardless of salary or other factors.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not 60 mil nor by the team he had been playing for.

I don't think anyone has argued that any halfway legit QB isn't going to be able to find a job. The questions have been what is the appropriate salary slotting for guys who aren't elite & when do you move on from a guy regardless of salary or other factors.
If Dak wants $60M he will be able to find a team to give to him. However, I believe that is his number 1 priority.

Adreme

Reaction score
Drew Brees with San Diego was not even as good as Kirk Cousins with Washington. Dak will be in a unique situation. I know France is pushing Dak to wait for free agency. I think Dak wants to stay in Dallas, I expect a deal over the summer.
Drew Brees had just played at a pro bowl level for back-to-back seasons (making 1) and if not for said injury would have had the Chargers in a very awkward situation.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't think enough people get this. If the Jones don't want to continue the current relationship, there isn't squat Dak can do to change that. He can either ride out the final season hoping to survive healthy & seek a FA payday or he can decide to accept a trade and get the money now. Neither of which gives him leverage over the Jones.
Untrue, and here’s why….if Prescott absolutely wants to remain a Cowboy under any circumstance, there’s a number where Jerry and kid would be foolish to refuse it.

If he wants to leave under any circumstance, there isn’t a thing Jerry/kid can do about it.

Prescott is in full control of whether he wants to stay or go.

Adreme

Reaction score
If we keep Dak we will not win a SB so how much longer will it take to rebuild? Look at the SF, Eagles and Ravens. They have rebuilt with different QB's and made competitive teams.

What are we afraid of exactly? We must stop the acceptance of mediocre playoff success.
By that logic most the roster has to go. No Lamb, no Micah, no Martin, no Diggs, no Steele, etc. as Dak will outlast them all as a QB. The idea of just blowing up the entire team when you have won 12 games for 3 years in a row seems very crazy, especially when the real problem is just a problem in the trenches.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yawn...... I think Dak will be back. BUT, if the Cowboys FO is actually waiting to see what happens and if something crazy happens and they decided to try to sign Trey Lance and move on from Dak, then he has no leverage... at least with the Cowboys. In any event, I just dont care about leverage discussions anymore. Players sign or players dont sign and us fans will root for whoever is taking snaps for the Cowboys.