Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do know this is a fan phrase, right? You won't hear it inside NFL locker rooms or coaches and GM.
Better yet.....find me a quote of a GM or coach calling another NFL team lousy or bad. They may admit teams having injuries to key players even then they any team can beat another team on any given Sunday. But you know this Pappy........lol
True any given Sunday but our boy has made a career feasting on the NFC East.
Tom Brady also did the same but he has 7 SB rings...........you see where I'm going here?
Man if Deer in the Headlight doesn't start the game with the lead score you know it's going to be a LONG day. :omg:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think you’re bundling very different contracts and circumstances together here.

Lawrence was franchise tagged - twice - before they signed him. That’s the OPPOSITE of early.

They haven’t recently because they couldn’t. The previous kicking the can on Prescott’s deal is what’s got them in the predicament that they’re in now. And it’s given all leverage to the player and agent.

It’s been stated many times - and rightfully so - that top contracts only go up the longer teams wait.

Other teams realize that and are making efforts to get deals done sooner. Meanwhile, the Joneses continue to wait and watch costs continue to rise.
Not relative the cap they do not. Most of the "record setting" contracts are proportional to that years cap going back to Calvin Johnson's deal. That is evident with Dak's deal relative to the deals signed since despite the handwringing 4 years ago.

If anything this situation is reminiscent of last year with Diggs negotiation. Slater said as much yesterday.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When a team can decide to let you know to play out a contract and not sign you to a ridiculous one, said the team has leverage. If the Joneses' decide to not pay Dak and let him walk, will Dak feel the leverage still to get that amount of money elsewhere? Who on earth will pay him what he wants? If anybody has leverage in the organization it's Ceedee or Micah...you know, guys who are good at their job
Dak has more leverage than CD and or Micah combined. Dak can walk next year. CD and Micah don't have that luxury.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Someone, probably not Jerry will pay Dak $50 mill a season.
It'll be more than that,

Tua was offered 50 and he turned it down, said "market is market" LOL

Prescott clearly is in the 54 to $58 million range whether fans like it or not and whether someone is Jerry or not that is the market for a quarterback that just came off one of his best seasons never been part of a losing season with the Dallas Cowboys when he's actually started and finished the season..

Hes literally breaking records here and moving himself in top 10 in many NFL passing categories, and just everyone wants to be hard on him about the playoffs, that don't seem to matter for the rest of the quarterbacks not winning in the playoffs that are making that much.

so, let's hope 54 gets it done.

1. Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: $55 million
  2. Jared Goff, Lions: $53 million
  3. Justin Herbert, Chargers: $52.5 million
  4. Lamar Jackson, Ravens: $52 million
  5. Jalen Hurts, Eagles: $51 million
  6. Kyler Murray, Cardinals: $46.1 million
  7. Deshaun Watson, Browns: $46 million
  8. Kirk Cousins, Falcons: $45 million
  9. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs: $45 million
  10. Josh Allen, Bills: $43 million

sports.yahoo.com

you know Prescott's number 11 and you look up at that list there's a bunch of dudes in there top ten up there that have no Super Bowl wins except for Patrick mahomes and most haven't even touched it you know not done much more in the playoffs either So what makes you think he's not worth more than Justin Herbert that's my point I think he's in the $54 million range but I can see him wanting 56 that's where I came up with my range... I'm not saying we should give it to him but that only makes sense the market is the market as tua stated.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I'm just amazed how a player that "sucks" could be in the top 10 of his position out of 96 other quarterbacks, can become 2nd team All-Pro, be in the MVP discussion the season previous and be the player with the most contractual leverage in the NFL.....

How can a player that "sucks" accomplish all of that?

What other players in NFL history was able to do those things while being a player that "suck"? That math ain't mathin.....

By going 2-5 when it really counts , and worse having that Deer in the Headlight look every time the opponent comes to play .

Chokota SUCKS !

fivetwos

Reaction score
How does any of this make what I said untrue?

Both of them can make decisions independently. That doesn't give either side leverage.

Prescott could want to stay but if the Jones don't want him, that's hardly full control.

On a side note, just because I have seen comments in these threads that seem to confuse supply & demand vs leverage. There are only so many jobs and even fewer qualified candidates. That's just supply & demand. It doesn't give any starting caliber QB any more leverage than any other available QB.
Fair enough. I could have chosen my words better. Wasn’t trying to call you a liar or anything like that, I just think this is way more up to Prescott than it is the team.

Prescott will have several more options of teams willing to pay him a top rate than Dallas does of finding a suitable replacement any time soon.

If he wants to be a Cowboy desperately all he has to do is give them a deal, and he will be here. If he wants it both ways, it could go either way.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
True any given Sunday but our boy has made a career feasting on the NFC East.
Tom Brady also did the same but he has 7 SB rings...........you see where I'm going here?
I can't argue with this......hell, I was actually going to mention Brady but I see you get it.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Leverage? If we aren't dumb enough to extend him, then he has to show other teams that he can beat some very good teams this year. Smacking the No-Names and Giants around twice a year won't get him 60 mil somewhere other than Dallas. He's gonna bet on himself again, but so what if he loses? He could retire today and he's set for life.

Praxit

Reaction score
..if its not him who will replace him? Lance?

Who right now, that is available is better than Dak?

We are stuck with this guy, unfortunately. I say this, because he cant WIN, when it counts.

The guy has been given many opportunities, just cant deliver.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jerry is a shrewd cat. He is going to wait for the QB market to go up another 30% before signing Dak.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Dak has more leverage than CD and or Micah combined. Dak can walk next year. CD and Micah don't have that luxury.
Depends upon how you define leverage and which of those 3 players is on the wish list for the franchise....if the Cowboys want to move on from their QB, their QB has no levrage

plymkr

Reaction score
Given Stephen Jones’ negotiating ‘skills’, is anyone surprised?

full
Lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
Depends upon how you define leverage and which of those 3 players is on the wish list for the franchise....if the Cowboys want to move on from their QB, their QB has no levrage
No it really does not. Dallas can over Dak $80M and Dak can still say no.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'm just amazed how a player that "sucks" could be in the top 10 of his position out of 96 other quarterbacks, can become 2nd team All-Pro, be in the MVP discussion the season previous and be the player with the most contractual leverage in the NFL.....

How can a player that "sucks" accomplish all of that?

What other players in NFL history was able to do those things while being a player that "suck"? That math ain't mathin.....
All QBs with inflated stats get exposed come playoff time. This will always be the case no matter how the rules are changed to favor high numbers in the passing game. This is why the playoffs matter. This why Romo and Dak are phonies with horrible playoff records.