Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

therock1982

Reaction score
i agree to a certain point that if murray is to expensive then we should sign the rb from minnesota.
But i think it should be david cobb in the draft

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I agree however he is a Viking and the ball is in their court. I'm not as keen as some are of getting an older player

Agreed. Getting a 30-year-old with a previously serious knee injury and a big strike against him already isn't someone worth spending a whopping fortune on. Chances of him wanting too much for us to absorb would be great.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

His 2015 salary of 12.75M is what likely causes them to release him. Obviously the Head Coach would want him, but whoever manages their cap is the one making the decision.

I see the risk with AP being similar to the risk with Murray in terms of going downhill. Yes, AP is older, but Murray was significantly over-used this season and the history of RBs that were over-used is not good in the following seasons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
His 2015 salary of 12.75M is what likely causes them to release him. Obviously the Head Coach would want him, but whoever manages their cap is the one making the decision.

It will likely cause them to want him to restructure the deal and even if he chooses not to Peterson is not going to take a 4 mill dollar deal.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Did I say that? Reality has him coming back after a year off from a torn knee to rush for over 2000 yards, almost eclipsing Dickerson's record. That really happened.

Arguing a year off and not being in game-shape, when he isn't injured and can work out, is pretty foolish.

A year away from the game will affect him, it would affect anybody. His comeback from injury was already three years ago, now he's older slower and you don't know what his desire is. Murry has flaws, but desire is not one.

What has AP to prove now? Madden fans will always claim he could reach 3000 yards behind the right line and "be the bext back EVAH!!!!! rofl"....

2012 AP is never coming to Dallas.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score

I see the risk with AP being similar to the risk with Murray in terms of going downhill. Yes, AP is older, but Murray was significantly over-used this season and the history of RBs that were over-used is not good in the following seasons.

That history is filled will guys that were overused and then had a major fall off... With the obvious exception of one Adrian Peterson.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
He was practicing with the team 2 out of the last several weeks.

Apparently they felt he was in good enough condition to start if his appeal was won.

Josh Gordon didn't look toO bad either once he came back.

We're talking about the best RB of the past decade here and 1 of the 3 best overall players in the league the past decade.

AP is an athletic anomaly. Ask every player in the league.

Gordon didn't catch a single TD, I would call that pretty bad.

How much contact was he taking? Sure they would let him play, they were already out of contention.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will likely cause them to want him to restructure the deal and even if he chooses not to Peterson is not going to take a 4 mill dollar deal.

A restructure means that he get paid all of the money, but it just gets pushed into future years for cap purposes.

A renegotiation is a pay cut. He would have to want to stay there in order to accept a pay cut and it appears that he wants to move on.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A year away from the game will affect him, it would affect anybody. His comeback from injury was already three years ago, now he's older slower and you don't know what his desire is. Murry has flaws, but desire is not one.

What has AP to prove now? Madden fans will always claim he could reach 3000 yards behind the right line and "be the bext back EVAH!!!!! rofl"....

Good thinking. The upcoming draft could easily afford us a fine RB in the 3rd round or so. I'd be inclined to go there rather than chase someone whose career is practically behind him. We need an RB for the longterm.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
A restructure means that he get paid all of the money, but it just gets pushed into future years for cap purposes.

A renegotiation is a pay cut. He would have to want to stay there in order to accept a pay cut and it appears that he wants to move on.

I understand that but fact is Zimmer wants him back in Minn and all this talk is just that, it is an assumption based on some crazy wish. In the mean time again if Dallas would only offer Murray 4 mill there is no way in Hell Peterson is playing at 4 mill. Our Kicker makes 3.2

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Gordon didn't catch a single TD, I would call that pretty bad.

How much contact was he taking? Sure they would let him play, they were already out of contention.

You know who was throwing Gordon the ball right?

Johnny threw more picks than TDs, that's not any of the WR's fault on that team. Josh Gordon did not look out of shape at all despite his QB's demise.

The contact AP most likely endured in practice was probably the same amount of contact DeMarco Murray was receiving all season. There were no reports of AP not being fully involved in practices.

He did keep himself in shape throughout the year.

So a top 5 WR and an all decade player who will have a whole training camp to get back into shape have conditioning concerns to you for next season?

2 elite players without injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand that but fact is Zimmer wants him back in Minn and all this talk is just that, it is an assumption based on some crazy wish. In the mean time again if Dallas would only offer Murray 4 mill there is no way in Hell Peterson is playing at 4 mill. Our Kicker makes 3.2

There is no way to know what Peterson would do. He seems to be one of those guys that would do things differently than some other players.

If they do cut him, he could see the Cowboys with their OLine being a way to really pad his career stats. That's probably important to a guy like him, especially after his name has been tarnished this year. He has already made a huge amount of money and a chance at a Super Bowl and more stats is probably enticing to him.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

AP is a year older but he is no slower than the year he came back from his injury and he is certainly not slower than DeMarco Murray. You realize that AP runs under a 4.40, 40 right?

His desire that you question was too plaything year even though he was to be paid regardless and his team was out of contention. His desire is to play for his hometown and childhood favourite team the Dallas Cowboys. We know that because he called the owner of the team to tell him himself.

I am not saying dump DeMarco Murray and that AP is going to bring us a championship, but if we're interested in him, not if but when he becomes available then we are the team he wants to play for.

We are interested in DeMarco Murray for 4 years $16 million right now. Maybe up to $20 million? I doubt much more. Gurley is there in the draft and the best RB in football will be available. He no longer wants to play for Minny and they don't want to pay him what he currently makes.

The team won't break the bank for Murray nor do they have to.

A player like AP rarely ever becomes available and our offense would absolutely be unstoppable with him.

AP and Dez Bryant can take it to the house at any time and teams know it.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
You know who was throwing Gordon the ball right?

You know who was throwing him the ball last year right?

Johnny threw more picks than TDs, that's not any of the WR's fault on that team. Josh Gordon did not look out of shape at all despite his QB's demise.

Looked kinda fat to me.

The contact AP most likely endured in practice was probably the same amount of contact DeMarco Murray was receiving all season. There were no reports of AP not being fully involved in practices.

He did keep himself in shape throughout the year.

So a top 5 WR and an all decade player who will have a whole training camp to get back into shape have conditioning concerns to you for next season?

2 elite players without injury.

Are you really calling Gordon a top five receiver? You are drunk on hype.

You just seem to not understand desire and lack of football contact is not conditioning. It's getting hit repeatedly. How hard would the Vikings have gone at in practice at the end of the season with no playoff place in sight? Zimms a hard guy but he's not gonna kill his players for nothing.

I don't think his wind will be a problem, I think it will be his killer speed and want to fight for those extra yards that will be affected?

Father time bro

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
AP is a year older but he is no slower than the year he came back from his injury and he is certainly not slower than DeMarco Murray. You realize that AP runs under a 4.40, 40 right?

Stop making things up, you do not know this.

His desire that you question was too plaything year even though he was to be paid regardless and his team was out of contention. His desire is to play for his hometown and childhood favourite team the Dallas Cowboys. We know that because he called the owner of the team to tell him himself.

I am not saying dump DeMarco Murray and that AP is going to bring us a championship, but if we're interested in him, not if but when he becomes available then we are the team he wants to play for.

We are interested in DeMarco Murray for 4 years $16 million right now. Maybe up to $20 million? I doubt much more. Gurley is there in the draft and the best RB in football will be available. He no longer wants to play for Minny and they don't want to pay him what he currently makes.

The team won't break the bank for Murray nor do they have to.

A player like AP rarely ever becomes available and our offense would absolutely be unstoppable with him.

Yes, they are usually over the hill when they do, see Ware, Demarcus & Manning, Payton.

AP and Dez Bryant can take it to the house at any time and teams know it.

If Dez could take it to the house anytime we are not discussing AP right now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys need to spend their money on defense, not risk money on an over 30 RB. Dez is going to cost up to 12 mill a year by himself. Still have 11 other FA's. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is no way to know what Peterson would do. He seems to be one of those guys that would do things differently than some other players.

If they do cut him, he could see the Cowboys with their OLine being a way to really pad his career stats. That's probably important to a guy like him, especially after his name has been tarnished this year. He has already made a huge amount of money and a chance at a Super Bowl and more stats is probably enticing to him.

and he spent a lot of money on Rusty Hardin. Saying there is no way to know what he will do, hell the same applies for the Vikes yet you continue to make that assumption. Zimmer wants him there and right now he is a member of the Vikings. If released Dallas would not be the only team looking and at 4 mill LOL excuse me that is a joke, you have JAGS in this league making that and there is a pride issue for most players around the league who will not get lowballed. I'm sorry but some here are wishing more than thinking.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
You know who was throwing him the ball last year right?

Looked kinda fat to me.

Are you really calling Gordon a top five receiver? You are drunk on hype.

You just seem to not understand desire and lack of football contact is not conditioning. It's getting hit repeatedly. How hard would the Vikings have gone at in practice at the end of the season with no playoff place in sight? Zimms a hard guy but he's not gonna kill his players for nothing.

I don't think his wind will be a problem, I think it will be his killer speed and want to fight for those extra yards that will be affected?

Father time bro

Josh Gordon is hype and not one of the best WR's in football? Lmao! If you say so.

AP's desire does not need to be questioned. He clearly wanted to play at all costs this season and took a deal so that he can come back sooner to play.

Is AP not the most physical RB in the league?

We are talking 2015 where he will have a whole training camp.

Also AP would be evaluated by teams before signed. They would know if he lost his edge due to Father Time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and he spent a lot of money on Rusty Hardin. Saying there is no way to know what he will do, hell the same applies for the Vikes yet you continue to make that assumption. Zimmer wants him there and right now he is a member of the Vikings. If released Dallas would not be the only team looking and at 4 mill LOL excuse me that is a joke, you have JAGS in this league making that and there is a pride issue for most players around the league who will not get lowballed. I'm sorry but some here are wishing more than thinking.

I didn't say 4M, just that he might not be looking to break the bank because the situation could be more important than money to him at this point. If it was only about money, then I wouldn't be surprised if he just retired like he said the he might do.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

AP will not take $4 million per. Everyone knows that. Even FO.

The vikes will not pay him his current contract and he won't stay there for mush less.

There would be a dozen teams looking at AP and rightfully so. He is a special talent that can single handedly take over a game with his legs.

He is under contract and he has made it clear that he wants to play here. If we want him we'll have him.

We'll settle for Murray at $4 million per and rightfully so. That's a lot of bang for your buck and ultimately a better option at that rate. Maybe even at $5 million per. We've been firm on that offer all year and that tells me something.

FO has a price in their head and then they look at the other options.