Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

khiladi

Reaction score
Our run game is more a product of OL and the schemes of Callahan. AP would kill in it, though Callahan will be gone. I'm assuming Pollack won't change much.

khiladi

Reaction score
People also forget, we are in WIN NOW mode, because of Romo.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Yes because he is different from other humans. lol Murray is in tremendous shape as well and younger. To me this is not just about rushing but being able to play the full position of RB as runner, blocker, receiver. I do have a lot of respect for AP but I also have a lot of respect for Murray and how he has conducted himself within this team as a player and a leader.

Don't get me wrong but Murray cost us a lot of TD's this year when he was in open space. He just doesn't have that breakaway speed like Randle or AP.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong but Murray cost us a lot of TD's this year when he was in open space. He just doesn't have that breakaway speed like Randle or AP.

Yet lead the league in TD. I like Randle he was not asked to carry the load and getting 2 to 5 carries in a game of course you’re going to be much fresher and the position is not just running the ball it is the other aspects that go with it. As for AP again my main issue is I don't want quick fix with older players. It seldom works and the cost also plays into it I don't believe for a second that AP goes anywhere on some barging bin contact. I think there it is much more likely that the vikes who salary cap situation is not in bad shape will restructure the contract with AP to help take pressure off Bridgewater.
On Murray do I think he should be getting 7 or 8 mill avg contract? No but I do think a fair offer would be around 5 to 6 mill avg. At 4 again come on our FG kicker makes a little less than 4

joseephuss

Reaction score
He also was the only threat on offense that the Vikings had, lol, pretty easy to limit him when every team knows he is going to be doing everything. In Dallas, they wouldnt know what we would be doing.

That never stopped him before.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That history is filled will guys that were overused and then had a major fall off... With the obvious exception of one Adrian Peterson.

In 2012 Peterson produced 2314 yards on 388 touches((5.96 ypt). In 2013 Peterson produced 1437 yards on 308 touches(4.67 ypt). I would say 877 fewer yards is a major fall off.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
In 2012 Peterson produced 2314 yards on 388 touches((5.96 ypt). In 2013 Peterson produced 1437 yards on 308 touches(4.67 ypt). I would say 877 fewer yards is a major fall off.

In 2012, AP played 16 games. In 2013 he played in 14. It was a return to his career averages from the anomaly year of 2012.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

can you provide this link to where he says he is ok with peterson leaving... I've looked and only found where he wants him back and he's currently under contract.

joseephuss

Reaction score
In 2012, AP played 16 games. In 2013 he played in 14. It was a return to his career averages from the anomaly year of 2012.

Playing in less games is also part of dropping off from the prior season. I agree that 2012 was an anomaly for Peterson, which is why I don't think he will approach that type of production in his career again. He won't be breaking records in Dallas. That doesn't mean he can't be effective, but the expectations of some thinking he could produce huge numbers with the Cowboys is out there.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I know for a fact AP is faster than Murray. You do too.

The part about him being as fast as 2012, pure speculation, stop it. Murry is a given, winter is faster than him.

Peyton Manning is still a top 5 QB.

Take your head out of your Madden franchise and watch real ball for a change. No way is this true. He may even retire. Good lord.

AP is easily a top 3 RB and still probably the best player at his position. How you can say they are over hill is making things up. Not facts.

AP may be top three but just throwing him in there like it's a fact is ridiculous. that's opinion, nothing more.

Dez has taken it to the house more than any other WR this season. More facts.

Except when it counted most.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but he lacks break away speed. This line made huge holes that many quick backs could have taken for much longer yardage. I think there is no denying that.

Murray also powered through tackles that would have led to no gain for other backs and made good decisions a lot of the time on what hole to hit and when to cut back. Seasons like he had do not happen by accident and do not happen just because of a good offensive line.

Maybe we would have gotten some much longer yardage from a quicker back, but we also might have been in long-yardage situations a lot more with a back who couldn't turn no gain into a 5-yard gain.

Now, I think AP is a back who can do both, and there's no doubt he's better than Murray, but when we concentrate on what we don't have sometimes we fail to see what we do.

I certainly have no problem re-signing Murray for the right price moving forward, and I'd certainly have no problem signing Peterson for the right price, but I do believe replacing Murray otherwise is not going to be as easy as some make it out to be.

For instance, Randle did well in a backup role, using his quickness to his advantage as a change of pace (which surprised me in some ways because I thought Murray was faster than Randle). However, I'm very dubious that Randle can step in as the everydown back because I don't think he can consistently fall forward. Murray had his negative yardage or no yardage moments, but he also escaped many of those.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He ain't the first running back to suffer an ACL and coming back with vengeance. AP is a stud and is in tremendous shape, this 30 year old crap is laughable. If you can put a player of his calibre on this team you do it immediately.

That's a BIG IF. He'll more than likely want far more than we refused Murray. He's well out of our money range.
Let's also not ignore the effect a year's layoff has on anyone. There's a fine line between great and just good.

Last edited:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
He ain't the first running back to suffer an ACL and coming back with vengeance. AP is a stud and is in tremendous shape, this 30 year old crap is laughable. If you can put a player of his calibre on this team you do it immediately.

NO NO NO

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I

I know for a fact AP is faster than Murray. You do too.

Peyton Manning is still a top 5 QB. AP is easily a top 3 RB and still probably the best player at his position. How you can say they are over hill is making things up. Not facts.

Dez has taken it to the house more than any other WR this season. More facts.

I'd be willing to bet AP can't outrun Randle, Dunbar or Murray in a footrace. The dude has so many injuries he runs like blade runner.

dallasdave

Reaction score
AD would thrive behind the Dallas line, and AD would be ready to run though a wall to win the Super Bowl.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Several roadblocks, one, he has to get reinstated in April and two, the Vikings need to want to let him go.

Last comments I could find from Zimmer do not suggest he is done there.

“I would respect Adrian’s decision. I’ll always be honest with him and up front, but I’m going to try to explain to him the reasons why I would like for him to be here. But it has to be a two-way street, and he has to get his life taken care of. But we’ll sit down and talk, and I’m a pretty good recruiter, too.”

The biggest issue is that the Cowboys have their own decisions to make and cannot wait on this to settle by April. The draft is where I look for a replacement if Murray is allowed to leave, not pinning hopes that he will be released and will come with a reasonable price tag.

Its not that the Vikings don't want him back - they do. Peterson is a PR nightmare. Plus you add his age (3) and factor in how much he cost - 12 million.

Keep in mind the Vikings need the public's approval for a new stadium to be built. If Peterson is a PR problem on top of everything else, I think he's going to be good as gone.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
His 2015 salary of 12.75M is what likely causes them to release him. Obviously the Head Coach would want him, but whoever manages their cap is the one making the decision.

I see the risk with AP being similar to the risk with Murray in terms of going downhill. Yes, AP is older, but Murray was significantly over-used this season and the history of RBs that were over-used is not good in the following seasons.

That 12 million price tag and APs age is a big factor on whether they want to keep him or not.

I think he still has some juice left in him up to the age of 33 - a time that Romo and Witten will hang it up.

AP is a freak. Put him behind this oline and he is gonna tear it up. Maybe not 2k. But around 1500-1700 seems about right. He also won't have to carry it as much as Murray.