Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I didn't say 4M, just that he might not be looking to break the bank because the situation could be more important than money to him at this point. If it was only about money, then I wouldn't be surprised if he just retired like he said the he might do.

I just don't see Peterson taking any offer less than the top 5 at the position. I also think there is a good chance he remains in Minn.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think we give Murray a lot less credit than he deserves for an 1,800-yard season.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Josh Gordon is hype and not one of the best WR's in football? Lmao! If you say so.

Yeah I do and I would consider anybody saying different an idiot. He was great for one year and meh for the other two. Even if he could remain on the active roster he has to prove he can do it again, until that point, hype.

AP's desire does not need to be questioned. He clearly wanted to play at all costs this season and took a deal so that he can come back sooner to play.

Is AP not the most physical RB in the league?

We are talking 2015 where he will have a whole training camp.

Also AP would be evaluated by teams before signed. They would know if he lost his edge due to Father Time.

Desire is 40 touches against the Bears. Ware wore down in December again and again. Of course AP will look great in a shell, during May. How will he look running into a wall of meat come the playoffs? This assumption he be the same player as 2012 really makes me want to play poker with you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AP will not take $4 million per. Everyone knows that. Even FO.

The vikes will not pay him his current contract and he won't stay there for mush less.

There would be a dozen teams looking at AP and rightfully so. He is a special talent that can single handedly take over a game with his legs.

He is under contract and he has made it clear that he wants to play here. If we want him we'll have him.

We'll settle for Murray at $4 million per and rightfully so. That's a lot of bang for your buck and ultimately a better option at that rate. Maybe even at $5 million per. We've been firm on that offer all year and that tells me something.

FO has a price in their head and then they look at the other options.

Then if he will not take 4 mill why the hell offer that to the league leading rusher? AP is human he is also getting older and the comment teams will check him out? Hell everyone is fresh at the start of the season it is the wear over the course of the season where it begins to take the toll. Sorry I'm tired of going backwards with older players, Dallas thus far has moved away from doing that I hope they continue to build now and for the future not some 1 or 2 year deal that will come at a fairly high cost.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't see Peterson taking any offer less than the top 5 at the position. I also think there is a good chance he remains in Minn.

If Peterson does get cut, then what is top 5 for 2015? McCoy is scheduled to make 7.65M.

The franchise tag is 9M or 10M, but that is based on the past 5 years. Salaries have come down for RBs in that time frame.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Peterson does get cut, then what is top 5 for 2015? McCoy is scheduled to make 7.65M.

The franchise tag is 9M or 10M, but that is based on the past 5 years. Salaries have come down for RBs in that time frame.

Top 5 will be based on 2014 scale and if we would give him top 5 money then I would just as soon see Murray get the top 5 money. Again really not overly interested in going back to bad habit of getting older players at high cost.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Top 5 will be based on 2014 scale and if we would give him top 5 money then I would just as soon see Murray get the top 5 money. Again really not overly interested in going back to bad habit of getting older players at high cost.

It probably wouldn't be as simple as annual salary because Murray will expect a longer contract. Murray probably wants 4 years, 30M. Peterson might be available for 2 years, 14M.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It probably wouldn't be as simple as annual salary because Murray will expect a longer contract. Murray probably wants 4 years, 30M. Peterson might be available for 2 years, 14M.

Yes he Murray would likely want a 4 year deal as for Peterson I would expect a 2 to 3 year deal. One thing it does not change is the age issue and looking for a quick fix which more times than not burn Dallas.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That history is filled will guys that were overused and then had a major fall off... With the obvious exception of one Adrian Peterson.
Huh? Adrian Peterson was never overused. He's never had as many as 370 carries in a season, and he only topped 320 twice. And of course, he has struggled with injuries, in 2011 when he blew out his knee and in 2013, when he missed two games and was ineffective for a few others because of injuries.

The exception you're looking for was Eric Dickerson.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes he Murray would likely want a 4 year deal as for Peterson I would expect a 2 to 3 year deal. One thing it does not change is the age issue and looking for a quick fix which more times than not burn Dallas.

I see the risk with Peterson and Murray as about equal. Peterson should be fresh while Murray was significantly over-used this season. That could easily offset the age difference.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think signing Peterson is a no-brainer, in the sense that it would prove that our front office has no brains.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I agree with Rocyaice, a year away from contact is a concern for a player getting back into "football shape". But look if the price/years are right and he's available it does seem to be the move. But if it takes some kind draft pick trade walk away quickly...

Look at it this way, Adrian has had one year to recuperate his body, so he would be fresh coming into 2015. :D

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Agreed. Getting a 30-year-old with a previously serious knee injury and a big strike against him already isn't someone worth spending a whopping fortune on. Chances of him wanting too much for us to absorb would be great.

He ain't the first running back to suffer an ACL and coming back with vengeance. AP is a stud and is in tremendous shape, this 30 year old crap is laughable. If you can put a player of his calibre on this team you do it immediately.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I
Stop making things up, you do not know this.

Yes, they are usually over the hill when they do, see Ware, Demarcus & Manning, Payton.

If Dez could take it to the house anytime we are not discussing AP right now.

I know for a fact AP is faster than Murray. You do too.

Peyton Manning is still a top 5 QB. AP is easily a top 3 RB and still probably the best player at his position. How you can say they are over hill is making things up. Not facts.

Dez has taken it to the house more than any other WR this season. More facts.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He ain't the first running back to suffer an ACL and coming back with vengeance. AP is a stud and is in tremendous shape, this 30 year old crap is laughable. If you can put a player of his calibre on this team you do it immediately.

Yes because he is different from other humans. lol Murray is in tremendous shape as well and younger. To me this is not just about rushing but being able to play the full position of RB as runner, blocker, receiver. I do have a lot of respect for AP but I also have a lot of respect for Murray and how he has conducted himself within this team as a player and a leader.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is a key point.

The market for running back salaries is coming down, not up.

Those claiming a big asking price from Peterson are those who don't want him here just as those claiming him signing for a song are those that do.

I expect that he would be willing to sign a deal paying him an average of $5 million per year would get it done as his desire to start fresh somewhere else, his fondness for the Cowboys, and his desire to play and live in Texas will be strong factors.

And we know the Cowboys can craft a contract that would put money in his hands short term and defer some of the cost until a year after he's gone. Common practice with big-name signings.

I like the added bonus of pairing a player wronged by the NFL with a team done dirty too.

Like-minded reasons for motivation.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think we give Murray a lot less credit than he deserves for an 1,800-yard season.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but he lacks break away speed. This line made huge holes that many quick backs could have taken for much longer yardage. I think there is no denying that.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
His 2015 salary of 12.75M is what likely causes them to release him. Obviously the Head Coach would want him, but whoever manages their cap is the one making the decision.

I see the risk with AP being similar to the risk with Murray in terms of going downhill. Yes, AP is older, but Murray was significantly over-used this season and the history of RBs that were over-used is not good in the following seasons.

I'd sign AP to a shorter contract than what murray will be looking for.