Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Watched every game but a handful since 1970. The Cowboys ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS had great defenses when they won Super Bowls. Doomsday in the 70's and Doomsday II in the 90's. Our current defense is light years away from being close to those dominant defenses.

Look at my post, never said they didn't, but they also had great running backs.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
No one player guarantees any team a trip to the Super Bowl. There are too many unknowns. Injury, poor play, bad calls and the list goes on and on.

That's right and that's why we have multiple new additions. Like Hardy, Lee, and whoever we get in the draft. AD is that guy that defensive coordinators lose sleep over. He put up his 2k yards the year after a torn acl, on a team with a horrible offensive line, and a team where he was their main offense. Now you give him an elite offensive line, elite WR, elite TE, good QB, etc? Yeah, look out.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
AP is a better running back than Murray.
He has always played behind a sad line
in Minny and still produced big time. Put him behind our line and he tears it up. He also has home run ability, something Murray did not have. Give Peterson huge holes and look out.

Also, our defense has improved by getting Hardy who is an elite pass rusher as well as getting Lee back if he can stay healthy. Not to mention we should get more help through the draft.

When your team is this close to a super bowl, you go out and get that player that puts you over the top. You don't roll the dice on some rookie prospect that could bust.

AD scores on the play Murray fumbled vs GB

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I am curious. All of you guys obsessing over AP coming here; what are you willing to give up? What is the highest draft pick you would give up? What kind of contract would you be willing to give? For how many years and how much per year?

See, I think most of us would be fine with AP coming here, even those of us arguing against it, but the sticking point is what we would be willing to give. For me, if AP could be had for a 3rd or 4th rounder and no more than a 2-3 year contract for $5-6 million per, I would be fine with it. Any more and I think you are mortgaging the future and that is something the old Jerry Jones would do.

So, put it on record guys. What is the most you would be willing to give up? I am interested in reading what everyone says. Both those who want him here and those who do not.

How do you know? Maybe he does, maybe he blows out his knee on the play before. These 'what-if' posts are dumb.

Peppers barely got DM and AD is much faster therefore he's through the hole

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
You are obsessing over the wrong thing. You should be obsessing how we can build a defense that is worthty of winning a championship. The one we have now isn't.

I'm not so sure. They were close last year and have added two guys who could be considered better than anyone on their defense last year. Still have the draft to go, but with a little injury luck I don't think it's a stretch to say their defense should be capable of pulling enough weight to win a chip.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I am curious. All of you guys obsessing over AP coming here; what are you willing to give up? What is the highest draft pick you would give up? What kind of contract would you be willing to give? For how many years and how much per year?

See, I think most of us would be fine with AP coming here, even those of us arguing against it, but the sticking point is what we would be willing to give. For me, if AP could be had for a 3rd or 4th rounder and no more than a 2-3 year contract for $5-6 million per, I would be fine with it. Any more and I think you are mortgaging the future and that is something the old Jerry Jones would do.

So, put it on record guys. What is the most you would be willing to give up? I am interested in reading what everyone says. Both those who want him here and those who do not.

I am hoping it only takes a 3rd or 4th..... That would be great. But, I am just guessing here on how this plays out. And at this point, there are a lot of unknowns....... He could stay right there in minny, kiss and make up. I just dont think that will happen.....But its just a guess;

I am guessing he wont be with Minnesota. So, Minny wants something in return, they dont want to just cut him and get nothing. I think that is a reasonable guess. Not too far out there;

But after that, I just dont know. How determined is AP to get out of Minny? What teams will he be willing to go to? Will he play in AZ? Balt? SD? NY?.....I know he will play in Dallas. But will Minny trade him to Dallas, if he refuses all these other better deals ? Will Minny trade him to Dallas for a third, when AZ is offering a second and a player? Does AP have that much leverage in this deal? So much, he can dictate that there is only one team he will play for? Does AP even care if its Dallas or AZ? These are questions known of us really know at this point.....but we can sort of narrow things down.

I don't think he is going to a rebuilding project. So, he is going to want a team that has Super Bowl aspirations. I don't see him accepting a low ball salary either. Maybe not as much as he was going to get in Minny, but he aint playing for chump change. Some team will pay him as much as Lynch. I am not a cap guy, but from what I understand, with signing bonuses and other options, we can get him down where it wont be a "Mortgage the Future" type of contract. Yes, maybe some dead money on a 3-4 year contract, but structured in a way where we can just cut him and not lose too much in year 3 or 4.

So, its a big guess of mine right now, but AP is going to be traded. And I think it will be a draft day thing. And , I am also guessing, that AZ will be are biggest competition, Thats if there is any competition at all....:) ................. And I think they will offer more then a 3rd rounder.

I am big on AP. I want him here. I think he is a perfect fit in Dallas. Both for him and the Cowboys. And I am expecting big things. Now, if we had gone 8-8 last year, no way am I trading for AP. But we didnt . We went 12-4 and was just as good as NE,Seattle, Indy, GB. We actually beat 3 of those teams!

And I get the argument of improving the defense. Its a strong argument. And may be the way to go. I just dont think it happens in Romos time frame. Its going to take multiple hits in the draft, to improve the defense to a point where it doesn't need a Time Consuming Offense....I dont think it happens in Romos time.... And I am on ROMOS time. Not Dan Snyders. You know these other teams, NE, Seattle, Indy, GB, Denver are making the same kind of moves......picky up FAs without mortgaging the future. (Maybe Denver is?)

But its Romos timeframe that is pushing my "obsession" for AP. I really want to see it happen. Becuase I am not sure what the team is anymore after Romo. I am not saying it "cant" happen on the first try. But finding a QB is extremely difficult....and regardless of all that. I want to see Romo in the Super Bowl. We dont have to mortgage the future. Just be smart about who we give these contracts too. I think AP is the guy you do , take a chance on.

After all that: sorry ..longwinded tonight.

Some kind of 3 year contract thats pays AP as a top 3 back and use signing bonuses and other contract tricks to make his salary cap hit reasonable...I am not a cap/contract guy.

The trade: I am thinking AZ gives up at least a 2nd. Maybe a first? I dont know? I really dont, but my gut tells me AZ is going to drive his price up..... I give a 1st and pay him top 3 rb money. Thats how bad I want this to happen. There is a line. And thats probably it for me. No more then that....thats a lot.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I am hoping it only takes a 3rd or 4th..... That would be great. But, I am just guessing here on how this plays out. And at this point, there are a lot of unknowns....... He could stay right there in minny, kiss and make up. I just dont think that will happen.....But its just a guess;

I am guessing he wont be with Minnesota. So, Minny wants something in return, they dont want to just cut him and get nothing. I think that is a reasonable guess. Not too far out there;

But after that, I just dont know. How determined is AP to get out of Minny? What teams will he be willing to go to? Will he play in AZ? Balt? SD? NY?.....I know he will play in Dallas. But will Minny trade him to Dallas, if he refuses all these other better deals ? Will Minny trade him to Dallas for a third, when AZ is offering a second and a player? Does AP have that much leverage in this deal? So much, he can dictate that there is only one team he will play for? Does AP even care if its Dallas or AZ? These are questions known of us really know at this point.....but we can sort of narrow things down.

I don't think he is going to a rebuilding project. So, he is going to want a team that has Super Bowl aspirations. I don't see him accepting a low ball salary either. Maybe not as much as he was going to get in Minny, but he aint playing for chump change. Some team will pay him as much as Lynch. I am not a cap guy, but from what I understand, with signing bonuses and other options, we can get him down where it wont be a "Mortgage the Future" type of contract. Yes, maybe some dead money on a 3-4 year contract, but structured in a way where we can just cut him and not lose too much in year 3 or 4.

So, its a big guess of mine right now, but AP is going to be traded. And I think it will be a draft day thing. And , I am also guessing, that AZ will be are biggest competition, Thats if there is any competition at all....:) ................. And I think they will offer more then a 3rd rounder.

I am big on AP. I want him here. I think he is a perfect fit in Dallas. Both for him and the Cowboys. And I am expecting big things. Now, if we had gone 8-8 last year, no way am I trading for AP. But we didnt . We went 12-4 and was just as good as NE,Seattle, Indy, GB. We actually beat 3 of those teams!

And I get the argument of improving the defense. Its a strong argument. And may be the way to go. I just dont think it happens in Romos time frame. Its going to take multiple hits in the draft, to improve the defense to a point where it doesn't need a Time Consuming Offense....I dont think it happens in Romos time.... And I am on ROMOS time. Not Dan Snyders. You know these other teams, NE, Seattle, Indy, GB, Denver are making the same kind of moves......picky up FAs without mortgaging the future. (Maybe Denver is?)

But its Romos timeframe that is pushing my "obsession" for AP. I really want to see it happen. Becuase I am not sure what the team is anymore after Romo. I am not saying it "cant" happen on the first try. But finding a QB is extremely difficult....and regardless of all that. I want to see Romo in the Super Bowl. We dont have to mortgage the future. Just be smart about who we give these contracts too. I think AP is the guy you do , take a chance on.

After all that: sorry ..longwinded tonight.

Some kind of 3 year contract thats pays AP as a top 3 back and use signing bonuses and other contract tricks to make his salary cap hit reasonable...I am not a cap/contract guy.

The trade: I am thinking AZ gives up at least a 2nd. Maybe a first? I dont know? I really dont, but my gut tells me AZ is going to drive his price up..... I give a 1st and pay him top 3 rb money. Thats how bad I want this to happen. There is a line. And thats probably it for me. No more then that....thats a lot.

Cowboys get better with a better RB, Go COWBOYS !!!!

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score

While Romo is fading this team isn't, noway man, don't dew it Jerruhhh, not for a 1st, this Team is about more NOW.

Take the Young Legs instead.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Our d doesn't get better if we have to give up a 1st, a starting corner (which Minny wants) and other picks.

Minny aint getting a first AND a starting corner. Thats all for show...

They might get multiple picks, but if they do, a first wont be involved.

I wouldn't think so at least?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

A first would be involved from a team that AP will not restructure for :)

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Then Oakland most likely gets him for their asking price. Maybe a future 1st or something.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
He will if he doesn't have to take a paycut in Oakland, then a big one for Dallas I'm guessing.

Yeah.... i could see that. Which is why I pay him. Maybe not as much as Oakland, but get at least close, and hope AP takes that offer and the chance at a Super Bowl, rather then getting buried in Oakland for a few more million.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Yeah.... i could see that. Which is why I pay him. Maybe not as much as Oakland, but get at least close, and hope AP takes that offer and the chance at a Super Bowl, rather then getting buried in Oakland for a few more million.

Just don't see Dallas offering their 1st. If Oakland is, you know Minny makes that deal with or without his consent. Unless he flat out says in the media he isn't playing for anyone but Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.