Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is good news. By Wednesday Fish will be reporting that the Cowboys might be interested if Peterson will redo his contract. By Friday, we'll have a deal in place with the Vikings for a conditional 7th, subject to reworking Peterson's contract. Eatman will actually break the news but Fish will clarify that the deal is for Peterson to play RB for the Cowboys. We'll have a suspenseful weekend during which the Cowboys and Peterson try to rework his deal. Meantime Fish will offer plenty of insightful tidbits on his premium site (Breaking News: Peterson will wear 28 if he signs with the Cowboys). Peterson will finally sign next Monday and Fish will tell us how he predicted it all along. As I say, really good news.

Then we just need to sign Vick and we'll have the new Triplets. A woman abuser, child abuser and dog abuser.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I think San Diego needs somebody to step in now, from day one. That may be a bit optimistic for Gurley coming off of the ACL. That may have them going with Gordon (hopefully anyway).

True but you have Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville...several teams above our current slot that could use the best RB in this draft.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would not be shocking, I also read last week Arizona had not yet even entertained trading for peterson due to his current salary.

Yeah, redoing the deal would have to be part of it.

Fitzgerald has always wanted to finish his career in Minnesota, though, so it makes sense if Peterson would do it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read that part of Fitzgerald's deal included a no-trade clause.

I hadn't heard that, but he was a ball boy back when Chris Carter played there. I've heard he's always wanted to play at home, so the idea of any trade would have to have his consent.

And I'm aware it's not equivalent value. But it is a way to make both vets happy and to rid Minny of their current player headache and save some face. It just makes some sense to me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a long off-season.

I refuse to believe "runners like Todd Gurley and Tevin Coleman." is the answer for the departure of Murray.

They aren't. The answer is Darren McFadden and Ryan Williams with some help from 1 of Randle, Dunbar or a rookie.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I hadn't heard that, but he was a ball boy back when Chris Carter played there. I've heard he's always wanted to play at home, so the idea of any trade would have to have his consent.

And I'm aware it's not equivalent value. But it is a way to make both vets happy and to rid Minny of their current player headache and save some face. It just makes some sense to me.

If that were to happen would be the best back they have had since Ottis Anderson.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If this is truly the case......

With the 27 pick of the 2015 NFL draft...... The Dallas Cowboys select Todd Gurley; Running Back; from the University of Georgia

One can only hope.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but you have Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville...several teams above our current slot that could use the best RB in this draft.

Oh yeah, there are definitely several teams that could conceivably take him ahead of us. But each of those teams also has other significant needs too.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Rookie Running back have proven to offer tangible results, probably one of the easier positions to transition from college to pros. It may be an over simplification but all you do is run to day light, so as RB you need to know the play and protection after that the player does what he always does runs to daylight. Where a rookie loses touches is in know passing plays where he will get replaced by a better blocker.

I would agree with that. But I would think we would want someone with more then just tangible results...

Just because I dont like RBBC, doesnt mean it wont work...:) NE did it, and many others do too..

Ravens picked up Forsett and he went off , etc etc...

But then then are the Trent Richardsons, and Felix Joneses....etc etc.

I would hate to get into the season and realize, "this aint working". When it was the biggest reason the Dallas Cowboys fielded a competitive team for the first time in many many years.

Again, it "may" work. And , at this point, its going to have to work. Unless we pick up AP. Because I dont see anything else out there...

jrumann59

Reaction score
I would agree with that. But I would think we would want someone with more then just tangible results...

Just because I dont like RBBC, doesnt mean it wont work...:) NE did it, and many others do too..

Ravens picked up Forsett and he went off , etc etc...

But then then are the Trent Richardsons, and Felix Joneses....etc etc.

I would hate to get into the season and realize, "this aint working". When it was the biggest reason the Dallas Cowboys fielded a competitive team for the first time in many many years.

Again, it "may" work. And , at this point, its going to have to work. Unless we pick up AP. Because I dont see anything else out there...

What i mean by Tangible is, if he is a 2 down back his first year 700-900 yards would be very good for rookie runner with the rest be spread among the committee

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The percentage of rookies who dont make an impact in their first year.

I am not big on RBBC, and a rookie is too much of a risk, imho, when this team is positioned to make a SB run.

I dont want to see Romo having to carry the team again...

How about the percentage of rookie running backs who make an impact?
Running back is one of those positions where a rookie can make a huge impact his first season.

Tony Dorsett
Eric Dickerson
Earl Campbell
Emmitt Smith
Franco Harris
Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Eddie Lacy
Stephen Jackson
Thurman Thomas
Bobby Humphreys
Marcus Allen

I think you get the picture ...

DFWJC

Reaction score
The percentage of rookies who dont make an impact in their first year.

I am not big on RBBC, and a rookie is too much of a risk, imho, when this team is positioned to make a SB run.

I dont want to see Romo having to carry the team again...

If you had to pick a position where a player can most contribute as a rookie, it would be RB.
That (and maybe ILB) is maybe the most NFL ready position.

There are exceptions, but generally, if a RB is going to be good he's usually good as a rookie.

An exception would be a rookie RB that doesn't get a chance or a RB that gets hurt their rookie year.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Its a long off-season.

I refuse to believe "runners like Todd Gurley and Tevin Coleman." is the answer for the departure of Murray.

Coming into the season you felt confident about Murray and the season he was going to have?

I did not. Because Murray had never even had a great year yet alone a special one.

Yeah I'd be fine with a committee headlined by Gurley.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they are the answers for us at RB this year, we are screwed lol

Nope. They have legit ability. There is obviously concern about them staying healthy, but that was a concern with Murray also.

I've reviewed McFadden on the All-22. He still has very good athletic ability. The blocking was terrible in Oakland and defenses loaded the box against the run because their passing game was never a threat. He is a great fit in the Cowboys Zone scheme.

Ryan Williams has better college game footage than many of the RBs in this draft. He now has significant time since injuring his Patella and he looked good in the preseason last year. People are discounting him because he was on the practice squad, but the Cowboys obviously made a deal with him to not sign with other teams because he did have offers to join other 53 man rosters. None of the backups were going to get many carries in 2014 so it was important to have backups that were significant special teams contributors which Randle and Dunbar were.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
How about the percentage of rookie running backs who make an impact?
Running back is one of those positions where a rookie can make a huge impact his first season.

Tony Dorsett
Eric Dickerson
Earl Campbell
Emmitt Smith
Franco Harris
Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Eddie Lacy
Stephen Jackson
Thurman Thomas
Bobby Humphreys
Marcus Allen

I think you get the picture ...

Well, you went back to Bobby Humphreys? Marcus Allen? woahhh

I could easily put up a list of RBs who didnt make it,

My point is, if were counting on drafting a "Marcus Allen", chances are, were going to see Romo passing the ball a lot more this year.

Reactions: BAT
Status
Not open for further replies.