Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

superonyx

Reaction score
I'm sure every running back will be so excited to be drafted by the Cowboys and this new disrespecting the running back position philosophy they are becoming known for.

So a player coming here better just stay healthy and not give his all to this team because once your 4 year rookie deal is up you will be released onto the open market. They better wait until that 4th year to carry the load. If you give too much too early you will be labeled as wore out. Thanks for the memories.

I question the strategy of having any positions where you are going to be known for this approach. Doesn't seem like the best way to be.

superonyx

Reaction score
Rookie Running back have proven to offer tangible results, probably one of the easier positions to transition from college to pros. It may be an over simplification but all you do is run to day light, so as RB you need to know the play and protection after that the player does what he always does runs to daylight. Where a rookie loses touches is in know passing plays where he will get replaced by a better blocker.

Didn't seem to be the case last year where 0 rookies could manage to even break 1,000 yards or 60 yards per game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just heard Fish say that the Coaches don't want McClain but the front office does.

Evidently he was cleared several times to practice and play last year and he would pull himself out saying he wasn't ready.

I guess the coaches don't want to deal with him.

That sucks because the guy is a fantastic football player.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Nope. They have legit ability. There is obviously concern about them staying healthy, but that was a concern with Murray also.

I've reviewed McFadden on the All-22. He still has very good athletic ability. The blocking was terrible in Oakland and defenses loaded the box against the run because their passing game was never a threat. He is a great fit in the Cowboys Zone scheme.

Ryan Williams has better college game footage than many of the RBs in this draft. He now has significant time since injuring his Patella and he looked good in the preseason last year. People are discounting him because he was on the practice squad, but the Cowboys obviously made a deal with him to not sign with other teams because he did have offers to join other 53 man rosters. None of the backups were going to get many carries in 2014 so it was important to have backups that were significant special teams contributors which Randle and Dunbar were.

Staying healthy would be a concern with AP too. I think for everybody.

I do think there is a chance DMF resurrects his career. That chance is real.
And, Williams was a great college back.

The coaches/FO would know more then any of us...So, if they take a gamble on these guys, they must see something.

Still, having said all that. I would sign AP. I would pay AP. And I would make him the focal point of the offense. AP isnt a "maybe".

superonyx

Reaction score
If there is one position in which rooks often are impactful, it's RB.

I guess it depends on how you define Impactful.
Look at the last 5 years worth of rookie RB's and see how many exploded onto the scene and made a Adrian Peterson or Demarco Murray impact.
Its not nearly as many as we have been led to believe.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Just heard Fish say that the Coaches don't want McClain but the front office does.

Evidently he was cleared several times to practice and play last year and he would pull himself out saying he wasn't ready.

that's not a good sign. coaches should be the final say on who is on the team. FO finds them, then turns it over to the coaches.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Not sure how this impacts the news of Adrian Peterson?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Didn't seem to be the case last year where 0 rookies could manage to even break 1,000 yards or 60 yards per game.

Expecting a 1000 yards from rookie is bit much since even the great Emmitt could not do it. Most rookies only get time on running downs because they cannot be trusted to pass block so that being said most teams know this and will load a box against a rookie runner because odds are if he is in the game they are going to run. I expect a rookie to contribute 700-900 yards in a season running.

superonyx

Reaction score
Expecting a 1000 yards from rookie is bit much since even the great Emmitt could not do it. Most rookies only get time on running downs because they cannot be trusted to pass block so that being said most teams know this and will load a box against a rookie runner because odds are if he is in the game they are going to run. I expect a rookie to contribute 700-900 yards in a season running.

I agree. This isn't making my excited to pass on Adrian Peterson for a rookie that will be lucky to run for 700 yards or 43 yards per game. I hope our plan isn't to replace Demarco Murrays 1845 yards with a rookie who is expected to get 43 yards per game. Especially in a year where we are considered a super bowl contended with an aging Tony Romo.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you define Impactful.
Look at the last 5 years worth of rookie RB's and see how many exploded onto the scene and made a Adrian Peterson or Demarco Murray impact.
Its not nearly as many as we have been led to believe.

No, its not. Not even close...................

Murray was in his 4th year. And was finally able to stay healthy.

Elite running backs are hard to find.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
I agree. This isn't making my excited to pass on Adrian Peterson for a rookie that will be lucky to run for 700 yards or 43 yards per game. I hope our plan isn't to replace Demarco Murrays 1845 yards with a rookie who is expected to get 43 yards per game. Especially in a year where we are considered a super bowl contended with an aging Tony Romo.

No the plan is to replace Murray with 3 RBs. If the team can average close to 100+ per game rushing then murray has been replaced.

jrumann59

Reaction score
No, it not. Not even close...................

Murray was in his 4th year. And was finally able to stay somewhat healthy.

Elite running backs are hard to find.

IMHO if it was not a contract year and Dallas was not doing that well he would have sat.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
This is good news. By Wednesday Fish will be reporting that the Cowboys might be interested if Peterson will redo his contract. By Friday, we'll have a deal in place with the Vikings for a conditional 7th, subject to reworking Peterson's contract. Eatman will actually break the news but Fish will clarify that the deal is for Peterson to play RB for the Cowboys. We'll have a suspenseful weekend during which the Cowboys and Peterson try to rework his deal. Meantime Fish will offer plenty of insightful tidbits on his premium site (Breaking News: Peterson will wear 28 if he signs with the Cowboys). Peterson will finally sign next Monday and Fish will tell us how he predicted it all along. As I say, really good news.

Bravo :clap::laugh:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
3 days later.

Fish: Cowboys are interested in trading for Adrian Peterson.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/23/cowboys-wont-enter-adrian-peterson-sweepstakes/

The Cowboys won’t be pursuing a trade for Vikings superstar Adrian Peterson, two sources tell 105.3 The Fan, citing among the reasons the team’s more disciplined approach to spending at the running back position and the running back depth in the upcoming NFL Draft. ...

Very good news if true. don't need to be giving up draft picks for a 30 year old RB who has been out a year.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
IMHO if it was not a contract year and Dallas was not doing that well he would have sat.

Yeah. I think so too.... And dont under estimate the extra motivation of a "Contract Year"...

The draft is risky to "rely on", imho. But, who knows, maybe Gurley or Coleman , really is the next AP/ES/TD....?? I hope so!

But in a few months when the AP saga has played out, and he is available, I think we make a real effort to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.