Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

superonyx

Reaction score
No the plan is to replace Murray with 3 RBs. If the team can average close to 100+ per game rushing then murray has been replaced.

I'm not so sure that it is that simple. Replacing Murray isn't just about replacing his Yards per game. The harder part will be replacing him in the game situations where it really matters. The 3rd and 3 from just outside of field goal range. The 5 straight carries late in the 4th Quarter to beat the opposing defense into submission. I cant help but wonder if Murrays emergence had a large part to do with Romo and the cowboys amazing 3rd down conversion percentages this year.

Its easy to do math and plug in committee members that can make up most of Murrays yards. Its much harder to find the guys that you have the confidence in to feed the ball in the game changing situations.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
I don't think this is over. No team wants to pay AP his salary for 2015. Teams are waiting for Minn to cut him then they will talk.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that it is that simple. Replacing Murray isn't just about replacing his Yards per game. The harder part will be replacing him in the game situations where it really matters. The 3rd and 3 from just outside of field goal range. The 5 straight carries late in the 4th Quarter to beat the opposing defense into submission. I cant help but wonder if Murrays emergence had a large part to do with Romo and the cowboys amazing 3rd down conversion percentages this year.

Its easy to do math and plug in committee members that can make up most of Murrays yards. Its much harder to find the guys that you have the confidence in to feed the ball in the game changing situations.

while true, but you cannot discount the fact that murray had to be the workhorse because randle is good running the ball but not good catching, no real evidence to this but they hardly threw to him, dunbar good with receiving the ball but not real good running it where the team like to run it, McFadden is Dunbar and Randle in on RB, he is fragile but when he comes in teams will have to play him honest because he is an all round back from a skill set point of view. If he makes the team he will allow for more options on downs 1-3 with a rookie.

Zordon

Reaction score
This is good news. By Wednesday Fish will be reporting that the Cowboys might be interested if Peterson will redo his contract. By Friday, we'll have a deal in place with the Vikings for a conditional 7th, subject to reworking Peterson's contract. Eatman will actually break the news but Fish will clarify that the deal is for Peterson to play RB for the Cowboys. We'll have a suspenseful weekend during which the Cowboys and Peterson try to rework his deal. Meantime Fish will offer plenty of insightful tidbits on his premium site (Breaking News: Peterson will wear 28 if he signs with the Cowboys). Peterson will finally sign next Monday and Fish will tell us how he predicted it all along. As I say, really good news.

Lol

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I can't believe that anybody thought they would trade for him because his salary (12.75M) comes with him in a trade. Even if he took a pay cut just to get out of there, it wouldn't be a huge cut.

The only way the Cowboys would get involved is if he gets cut and nobody else offers him a huge contract. I don't think the Cowboys would go over about 8M per if he was a free agent.

Wrong.

I thought a trade would be possible. For a 4th rounder, another player or something like that.

His deal does not matter. In fact its a bonus for us. We wont get hit by his signing bonus and of course would minimize his salary afterwards. So we could end up with a three year deal with say something like 8 mills / anno without any guaranteed money stuck inside a signing bonus. That would be a great deal for us.

Now if he hits the free market there will be a SB involved. That will make it nearly impossible for us to strike a deal. Not with what we are searching for right now.

Seem well worth to me to try to get something like that done.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, you went back to Bobby Humphreys? Marcus Allen? woahhh

:laugh:

I could easily put up a list of RBs who didnt make it,

My point is, if were counting on drafting a "Marcus Allen", chances are, were going to see Romo passing the ball a lot more this year.

I wonder if someone has done an analysis on the boom-bust rate of running backs selected in the first round. I'm sure someone probably has. I just don't know how to find it. Or maybe I'm too lazy to find it. ;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong.

I thought a trade would be possible. For a 4th rounder, another player or something like that.

His deal does not matter. In fact its a bonus for us. We wont get hit by his signing bonus and of course would minimize his salary afterwards. So we could end up with a three year deal with say something like 8 mills / anno without any guaranteed money stuck inside a signing bonus. That would be a great deal for us.

Now if he hits the free market there will be a SB involved. That will make it nearly impossible for us to strike a deal. Not with what we are searching for right now.

Seem well worth to me to try to get something like that done.
You are Wrong!

I am correct!

He is unlikely to agree to a big pay cut. If he did, he would request that most of the contract be guaranteed.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Coming into the season you felt confident about Murray and the season he was going to have?

I did not. Because Murray had never even had a great year yet alone a special one.

Yeah I'd be fine with a committee headlined by Gurley.

coming into the season last year, I had us winning maybe 5 6 games. Then blowing it up. Garret gone, etc etc...

As for Murray, I thought of him much the same way I do now. A good , decent, power back, that can go off in certain games..... Gets a little banged up during the season, but a decent back.

But, I am glad we didn't pay Murray all that money................No way I pay Murray like that.

AP ? You pay AP.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
:laugh:

I wonder if someone has done an analysis on the boom-bust rate of running backs selected in the first round. I'm sure someone probably has. I just don't know how to find it. Or maybe I'm too lazy to find it. ;)

lol. Me too....

On another AP thread I had posted top 10 running backs selected since 2010. Bell in Pittsburgh was a good pick up , some other backs popped up, like Murray. But nothing I would qualify as even close to AP.

Plankton

Reaction score
Just heard Fish say that the Coaches don't want McClain but the front office does.

Evidently he was cleared several times to practice and play last year and he would pull himself out saying he wasn't ready.

I guess the coaches don't want to deal with him.

That sucks because the guy is a fantastic football player.

I would think after how the whole Greg Hardy courtship and signing played out that people wouldn't take Mike Fisher seriously on anything. He was all over the map in his guesses....I mean, reporting.

Fisher also seemed to have an axe to grind with McClain in how he reported about him last training camp. At this time, with the lack of negotiating and signing Brinkley and Gachkar, two guys who can play in the middle, it would seem that the Cowboys have moved on.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
coming into the season last year, I had us winning maybe 5 6 games. Then blowing it up. Garret gone, etc etc...

As for Murray, I thought of him much the same way I do now. A good , decent, power back, that can go off in certain games..... Gets a little banged up during the season, but a decent back.

But, I am glad we didn't pay Murray all that money................No way I pay Murray like that.

AP ? You pay AP.

Yeah which is my point. Everyone is talking about Murray like he was viewed as a critical piece coming into the season.

Recency bias is strong with Demarco.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I recall a thread on this very forum about how the Cowboys won't be pursuing Greg Hardy and yet that too proved to be untrue. No matter what the media or Wilfs would have us believe, as long as Peterson wants to be a Cowboy and the Jones' want Peterson to be a Cowboy, it remains a possibility.

Hardy is a "lease" with an option to "buy" later.
So.... Peterson in that kind of a deal I would consider.

Though I don't want him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is what I think will happen. On draft day, the Vikings are going to want to move up (2nd round ?) and get a coveted player or a replacement for AP.

The Cowboys will agree to a trade, but instead of giving the Vikings an outright pick, will swap picks with the Vikings for AP as compensation. So say, for example, the Vikings want to move up in the 2nd round to pick a player. The Cowboys will agree to a swap with the Vikings, giving the Vikings their second while the Cowboys get the Vikings 3rd rounder and maybe the Cowboys swap their 4th for Minnesota's 5th. That way the Cowboys still retain the same number of picks, even if they're in lower rounds and get AP in return, negotiated contract, of course.

The Vikings ultimately get what they want and a get rid of AP. The Cowboys get what they want. Win-win.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I think will happen. On draft day, the Vikings are going to want to move up (2nd round ?) and get a coveted player or a replacement for AP.

The Cowboys will agree to a trade, but instead of giving the Vikings an outright pick, will swap picks with the Vikings for AP as compensation. So say, for example, the Vikings want to move up in the 2nd round to pick a player. The Cowboys will agree to a swap with the Vikings, giving the Vikings their second while the Cowboys get the Vikings 3rd rounder and maybe the Cowboys swap their 4th for Minnesota's 5th. That way the Cowboys still retain the same number of picks, even if they're in lower rounds and get AP in return, negotiated contract, of course.

The Vikings ultimately get what they want and a get rid of AP. The Cowboys get what they want. Win-win.

While I like the premise, the Cowboys would have to have the Viking's permission to negotiate a contract with Peterson beforehand. There's no way Peterson and the Cowboys would be able to agree on new contract terms on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.