Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleD

Reaction score
It seems pretty hard for zoners to realize that AP is not a free man and that the Vikings control
his destiny. They will either keep him and pay his contract or trade him to the highest bidder
just before or during the draft when value is highest. I can't see any team trading for him
with his current contract in place. I could see Baltimore or Arizona competing with Dallas
for his services what team would trade for him if he refuses to lower his contract or says
he won't report. There's a lot of moving parts here and AP may not get his wish.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point

Obviously I wasn't referring to Jerry or Stephen announcing to ESPN that "we want AP".

My point was that we usually hear plenty of rumblings from the all the so-called VR insiders about stuff like this. They may sometimes be right or wrong, but we would normally here a ton of guys saying we have big interest if he's available.

Check out The Break or Talkin' Cowboys, those guys have been talking about mutual interest for weeks. Several of them, especially Nick Eatman, are pretty convinced that it will happen. And some of them have talked to Peterson's father about it personally.

It's been the opposite of that. If anything, they have said we clearly have no interest.
Now there have been some that would like to see it happen...like a Cowlishaw. But that's just personal wishes.

Again, check out stuff from those guys and those shows. They're all about as close to inside as you can get.

Assuming Hardy plays 10+ games, they certainly don't currently have the cap room...even with the Romo restructure.
They would (and no doubt could) find a way though.
Cut Carr, give dez a long-term deal, and a few other things
I just don't see it happening....
But again, never say never.

Just a fan's speculation, but here's what I see for a new Peterson deal:

a contract in the range of 3 years $25 million with at least half ($12.5 million) guaranteed. That way, Peterson gets better security than the currently none he has under his current Vikings deal, getting his current Vikings salary essentially guaranteed. And Ben Dogra gets his 3% of this new deal in the process.

With a minimal first year salary, you're looking at a total cap hit of about $6 million for Peterson in 2015. I think we could certainly handle that much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems pretty hard for zoners to realize that AP is not a free man and that the Vikings control
his destiny. They will either keep him and pay his contract or trade him to the highest bidder
just before or during the draft when value is highest. I can't see any team trading for him
with his current contract in place. I could see Baltimore or Arizona competing with Dallas
for his services what team would trade for him if he refuses to lower his contract or says
he won't report. There's a lot of moving parts here and AP may not get his wish.

When was the last time a star player so clearly and publicly expressed a desire to leave their current team and was forced to stay?

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Jay Ratliff and Kyle Orton weren't free men either but they proved who has the ultimate power when the player is willing to go all in. No team is going to waste a roster spot on a disgruntled player and pay him $12 million when that player can just show up and claim to get hurt after 20 minutes of the first practice or simply not put any effort into playing. All the team has left to do is cut the player which is exactly what the player wants. Ratliff and Orton proved this. Most players just aren't willing to do it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
@RavensInsider: Vikings statement 'The Vikings have been informed that Adrian Peterson has been reinstated. We look forward to Adrian rejoining the Vikings'

Lol what else are they supposed to say? "Ok guys market is open make your bids? " This is PR at its finest

LittleD

Reaction score
Jay Ratliff and Kyle Orton weren't free men either but they proved who has the ultimate power when the player is willing to go all in. No team is going to waste a roster spot on a disgruntled player and pay him $12 million when that player can just show up and claim to get hurt after 20 minutes of the first practice or simply not put any effort into playing. All the team has left to do is cut the player which is exactly what the player wants. Ratliff and Orton proved this. Most players just aren't willing to do it.

If he doesn't show up for training camp and games he gets fined game checks... That 12mil goes down pretty fast
if he decides to stay at home. I think the Vikings will draft a running back anyway and so they don't have to do anything
with AP if he decides to stay away.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I've officially changed my stance. Let's go get him. Trade this year's first and next year's 3rd.

Just kidding! Stay in Minny and rot!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Wait until draft night! This board might implode!

:popcorn:

It will be interesting to follow the next 2 weeks. As I've mentioned in other threads, you will now probably see Peterson and agent privately and publicly put all kinds of pressure on Minnesota to make a move.The rumors/talk will be everywhere. Only Stephen or Jerry Jones publicly squashing any possibility of this happening will end the speculation.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Lol what else are they supposed to say? "Ok guys market is open make your bids? " This is PR at its finest
Having listened to a lot of people from the Vikings organization on NFL Radio, I think they truly want him to come back. They view their QB as being legit and having AP gives them a real probability of a shot at the playoffs. Their position isn't unwarranted either -- over the final 5 games of 2014, Bridgewater had a 72% completion percentage with 250 yards per game, 8 TDs and 5 INTs for a 102 passer rating.

LittleD

Reaction score
When was the last time a star player so clearly and publicly expressed a desire to leave their current team and was forced to stay?

He's going to be super hard to trade with his existing contract. The Vikings are not going to just let him walk
like Dallas did with Orton or Rat.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't think Peterson would be worth the cost. Would you rather pay for a Ferrari and get a Dodge Charger or pay for a Prius and get a Prius?

$ over Ws?

I would rather buy a used Ferrari than a used Prius or whatever car is behind curtain number 27

But maybe that's just me

NorthDalal

Reaction score
It will be fun to follow but this will be a game of chicken.Will there be a market for AP at his current contract rate? The Cowboys must .....and I believe will, wait for the offers to die down or evaporate from AZ, BAL and others. MN cannot play him in 2015 with major local sponsors in opposition.Cowboys can't pay current contract $$$ so....wait til after the draft when this rich RB class is on NFL rosters, ask for permission to negotiate with APs agent then give up a 3rd in 2016 for a reduced AP contract averaging 8 million over 3 years.Regarding Murray at 8 mil: Those of us who are active FF players know the rule of 350 touches and the huge dropoff it brings in the following year.I believe the Cowboys do too.Therefore Murray walks a rested AP comes here for 8 mil.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Having listened to a lot of people from the Vikings organization on NFL Radio, I think they truly want him to come back. They view their QB as being legit and having AP gives them a real probability of a shot at the playoffs. Their position isn't unwarranted either -- over the final 5 games of 2014, Bridgewater had a 72% completion percentage with 250 yards per game, 8 TDs and 5 INTs for a 102 passer rating.

They can want him all they want. The fact of the matter is Peterson doesnt want to be there. Im not denying minnesota would be better with him. Im just saying he doesnt want to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.