Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Reaction score
I'll end my rant with this.

I agree that it's a risk. Of course it is. But if I'm going to take a risk, it's going to be on a player like this who can make an impact like ONLY he can.

pansophy

Reaction score
Nothing is a sure thing, it's all a matter of percentages.

What Peterson has going for him than any rookie does not is a proven track record of success at the NFL level with an all-time great season added in.

A proven track record for when he was in his 20's. People keep saying that he is the best back in the NFL, but I haven't seen any back who is highly productive into his 30's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Because you hope to choose right and stock your team?

Who's to say that couldn't happen to anyone?

How is it 'going backward' to get the league's best running back?

Good luck winning anything once Romo is gone. What's 'silly' is not going everything you can to win while he's still here.

He was the best in 2012 his numbers slid the following season and missed all of last season. Right now he is not the best back saying he is does not make it so numbers say otherwise.
As for Romo I don't know what the landscape will look like at QB once Romo retires neither do you but I do know the success or failure of the next guy will have as much to do with the talent around that QB. Seahawks do not ask 3rd rd QB Wilson to carry the load they put together a quality team to help him. Take Wilson and put in him Tampa Bay or Oakland and chances are he is not winning jack. I think to have the best chance of winning now with Romo and in the future with another QB is based a lot on what kind of team you put around them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Emmitt was falling as well he did have a good season at 30 and AP may have a good season at 30 but the fall off for Emmitt came quickly and we were not giving up picks to keep him.

The fall off for that entire team came quickly, with free agents leaving in droves and careers ending abruptly all around him. My numbers clearly showed that running backs have success at and after 30.

I would much rather use picks to help this defense than to use picks to get a player on the downhill side.

And how does trading for Peterson prevent using picks on defense? Maybe you should clarify your opinion on how many picks it will take?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The fall off for that entire team came quickly, with free agents leaving in droves and careers ending abruptly all around him. My numbers clearly showed that running backs have success at and after 30.

And how does trading for Peterson prevent using picks on defense? Maybe you should clarify your opinion on how many picks it will take?

if I am having to use a 3rd or 4th rd pick or multiple picks that can have a big effect on addressing the defense.

erod

Reaction score
watching film of Gale sayers its like everyone else was in slo mo and he was at hyper speed. Still the greatest open field runner I have ever seen

Like Deion on a punt return. And I can't stand Deion, but he looked like a grown-up running against ten-year-olds in the back yard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, if similar, Peterson will give us a 1,300 yard season and then hit his decline rapidly after? That's worth giving up draft picks for?

We can get into all of the other factors involved if you truly wish to go that route. Just let me know.

It's funny, because I've been saying that. I've said Peterson will just give us his average, around 1,300 yards and that's not worth a big contract or the loss of picks.

Why would that be the case in a better offense, with a better quarterback, and a better offensive line?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey Stash, what salary do you think the Cowboys would have to give Peterson and how many seasons would the contract be for ? Also ,what do you think the Cowboys would have to give the Vikings to get Peterson ?

I've said before, in my opinion it would be a 4th round pick and a conditional 4th to a 2nd for 2016 based on performance.

The contract I believe works for all parties would be 3 years for $25 million with about half guaranteed.

Peterson gets his current rate for this year guaranteed, and in all likelihood his 2016 salary as well, and his agent gets his 3% of the new contract.

The Vikings get something to show now, and again for next year when they would in all likelihood cut him and get nothing.

dallasdave

Reaction score
We can get into all of the other factors involved if you truly wish to go that route. Just let me know.

Why would that be the case in a better offense, with a better quarterback, and a better offensive line?

Ask and you shall receive :hammer:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but you won't be spending 10 million a year on him and he won't be in his early 30's for the bulk of the contract.

My opinion is that we won't be spending $10 million for Peterson either. And I've shown that good running can still have great seasons at age 30 and beyond, with much lesser teams around them than our current Cowboys.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I've said before, in my opinion it would be a 4th round pick and a conditional 4th to a 2nd for 2016 based on performance.

The contract I believe works for all parties would be 3 years for $25 million with about half guaranteed.

Peterson gets his current rate for this year guaranteed, and in all likelihood his 2016 salary as well, and his agent gets his 3% of the new contract.

The Vikings get something to show now, and again for next year when they would in all likelihood cut him and get nothing.

Sound like a bargain, Do you want to call Jerry or should I?

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Peterson has been running behind a top 10 offensive line for the better part of his career. Had a great QB throwing for him in 09, ran for his average (His TD's increased). He was younger and better at that time as well. His 1,700 yard season came when he was running behind an offensive line ranked 17th in the league with run blocking.

So no, it's not a certainty that he'll rush for big numbers being on our offense with a great QB and great offensive line.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A proven track record for when he was in his 20's. People keep saying that he is the best back in the NFL, but I haven't seen any back who is highly productive into his 30's.

He ran for over 2,000 yards two seasons ago! And now we should expect him to fall off a cliff? With a year off from wear and tear?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the best in 2012 his numbers slid the following season and missed all of last season. Right now he is not the best back saying he is does not make it so numbers say otherwise.

Don't take my word for it, step outside this forum and conduct your own poll. The vast majority of people around the NFL consider Adrian Peterson to be the best back in the league.

As for Romo I don't know what the landscape will look like at QB once Romo retires neither do you but I do know the success or failure of the next guy will have as much to do with the talent around that QB. Seahawks do not ask 3rd rd QB Wilson to carry the load they put together a quality team to help him. Take Wilson and put in him Tampa Bay or Oakland and chances are he is not winning jack. I think to have the best chance of winning now with Romo and in the future with another QB is based a lot on what kind of team you put around them.

And that team is already in place. What more would you want to add offensively that we don't already have, outside of the running back which I am trying to acquire?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He ran for over 2,000 yards two seasons ago! And now we should expect him to fall off a cliff? With a year off from wear and tear?

We should be expecting him to rush for 2,000 yards again or that he's the same RB? Works both ways, and exactly why you're not thinking too deeply into this.

That's why I, and others, have said that he needs to be the one to prove he's the same back. Again, you pay players for the now not something from 3 years ago. A one-two year prove it deal, that is all Peterson is worth at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.