Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No one is a sure thing in a game where 300 pound men are always diving and twisting and piling on to everyone they can get there hands on.
I am intrigued by Todd Gurley but he seems as likely to get injured as old man Peterson. (I wish I were still as old as Peterson haha)

true anyone can get injured younger guys tend to bounce back and the cost factor is much less. If I was going to pay out big money I would have kept the NFL leading rusher who messed well with this offense

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Things to consider.

1. He looks exactly the same as he did as a rookie. Never carried an ounce of fat since he arrived.

2. His last game played, he looked identical to the guy at Oklahoma. Not a sniff of difference.

3. He is one of those naturally built players, not a product of the weight room. He was built like that in high school. Benched over 300 pounds as a 9th grader, and ran a 4.4.

4. And the dude just loves to play, just like Dez. This is still a game to him, not just a job. He runs like a wild mustang, and it just pours out of him. It's infectious, just like Dez.

5. And I want you to think hard about this one, Doomsday. Imagine the stress it will take off Romo if Peterson is still the same back. Imagine the runs that get finished that don't require Romo dropping back three more times on a drive. Imagine the space created for Dez and Witten on a play fake. I honestly think Peterson wins league MVP hands down on this team.

6. Lastly, imagine the fun and buzz this next season will have.

It's worth all the risk. The upside is that grand. I'm telling you, this would send shockwaves through the NFC, and you'd hear a collective....

"OH, ****!"

It would be a blast.

Drop the mic! :clap:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Things to consider.

1. He looks exactly the same as he did as a rookie. Never carried an ounce of fat since he arrived.

2. His last game played, he looked identical to the guy at Oklahoma. Not a sniff of difference.

3. He is one of those naturally built players, not a product of the weight room. He was built like that in high school. Benched over 300 pounds as a 9th grader, and ran a 4.4.

4. And the dude just loves to play, just like Dez. This is still a game to him, not just a job. He runs like a wild mustang, and it just pours out of him. It's infectious, just like Dez.

5. And I want you to think hard about this one, Doomsday. Imagine the stress it will take off Romo if Peterson is still the same back. Imagine the runs that get finished that don't require Romo dropping back three more times on a drive. Imagine the space created for Dez and Witten on a play fake. I honestly think Peterson wins league MVP hands down on this team.

6. Lastly, imagine the fun and buzz this next season will have.

It's worth all the risk. The upside is that grand. I'm telling you, this would send shockwaves through the NFC, and you'd hear a collective....

"OH, ****!"

It would be a blast.

He is human sorry you can go on and on but he is human and like all RB it takes it's toll I have seen a lot of great RB some better than AP and have the numbers and HOF to prove it but age took it's toll. I think living off the past is a mistake and it could be a costly one if he get the money he is still looking for.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And has a Hall of Fame career backing him up.

Or maybe we shouldn't guarantee that they will be better than a proven commodity?

Reductio ad absurdum, look it up.

Where here have I said that it's a guarantee a rookie RB will come in and live up to their potential? Quote me.

This is about risk, this is about making logical decisions. You can bring up the "AP is a GOD!" or that he's superhuman, and that's fine if you believe that, but you have to understand that signing a contract with that crap in mind is absurd.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how good he is and I agree with you but, the new fiscally prudent Cowboy front office
posted what they were willing to pay for a bellcow RB. I don't think Stephen is going to even 8mil
per year for a 30yr old RB no matter if he is "all world".

This and something everyone continues to ignore.

No one needs to know the history of AP, this is about the now and how much we're willing to spend and give up for a 30 year old RB. The way we've handled our cap recently and how we've gone about giving out contracts tells us AP in the cards is unlikely.

erod

Reaction score
He is human sorry you can go on and on but he is human and like all RB it takes it's toll I have seen a lot of great RB some better than AP and have the numbers and HOF to prove it but age took it's toll. I think living off the past is a mistake and it could be a costly one if he get the money he is still looking for.

And 30 is just a number for some. Didn't slow down Riggins. Marcus Allen, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Curtis Martin, Emmitt Smith.

It's not unheard of to be productive after 30. It just is for mortal running backs.

LittleD

Reaction score

No one needs to know the history of AP, this is about the now and how much we're willing to spend and give up for a 30 year old RB. The way we've handled our cap recently and how we've gone about giving out contracts tells us AP in the cards is unlikely.

There is a bit of sanity on this board after all. Keep on ... keeping on!!!

erod

Reaction score

The cap is a fallacy. Teams can do whatever they want whenever they want. It's a built-in fake excuse to not spend money.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The cap is a fallacy. Teams can do whatever they want whenever they want. It's a built-in fake excuse to not spend money.

If this was true, then there would no need for a cap.

It's true, there's plenty of options to create cap space, that does not mean there is no effects in the future. We have seen the effects of bad contracts in the past hurting us recently, a few of those contracts we regret.

If we wanted, I'm sure we could find room for Peterson; that doesn't make it a good idea or that the risk is any less. The fact that we'd have to restructure contracts or have to do something creative just to get enough room to bring him in tells me it's a bad idea.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Why does everyone make it seem like we can't afford him. Cut Carr and Chris Jones ask Romo and Ap too take paycuts it's really not that difficult.

erod

Reaction score
Why did you have to show me that? Why? You're killing me now! Its like the car dealer talking you into test driving that 80k Range Rover Sport when you can only afford the certified preowned Altima....

LOL, it's special isn't it? It's like he had 25 of the top 30 runs that entire NFL season. Every carry is a hold-your-breath moment.

You have to dig around and find his high school film. It's absurd.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And 30 is just a number for some. Didn't slow down Riggins. Marcus Allen, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Curtis Martin, Emmitt Smith.

It's not unheard of to be productive after 30. It just is for mortal running backs.

Smith certainly slowed down around 30 years old. And he was easily the most durable RB to ever play the game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a fact he is an older back and this league has seen great RB and yet the age factor has applied to all of them. Be it Walter Peyton, Emmitt Smith and everyone else. That is a reality. Now if you want to explain to me how this does not apply to AP then I'm all ears. To think well AP is different than any RB to have played in the NFL is wishful thinking. If you want to say he can have a good season this coming year I would not disagree with that possibility to say we could draft a young RB and get good production out of them is also a real possibility since RB normally show what they have early on in their careers.

Walter Payton ran for 1,700 yards in 1984 at age 30. 1,550 yards in 1985 at age 31, and 1,300 yards in 1986 at age 32. .

Emmitt Smith ran for 1,400 yards in 1999 at age 30, 1,200 in 2000 at 31, and 1,000 in 2001 at age 32, while the Cowboys were falling apart around him.

John Riggins had the best two years of his career at age 34 and 35 with 1,300 and 1,200 yards respectively. scoring 24 touchdowns in a single season at age 34.

With due and deserved respect to all, none played on a team nearly as talented as this current Cowboys team at that point in their respective careers either.

erod

Reaction score
If this was true, then there would no need for a cap.

It's true, there's plenty of options to create cap space, that does not mean there is no effects in the future. We have seen the effects of bad contracts in the past hurting us recently, a few of those contracts we regret.

If we wanted, I'm sure we could find room for Peterson; that doesn't make it a good idea or that the risk is any less. The fact that we'd have to restructure contracts or have to do something creative just to get enough room to bring him in tells me it's a bad idea.

Five years from now, the cap will be $50 million higher. It's a false barrier that gives owners excuses not to spend money when they don't want to.

You still have to draft well and manage salaries to win. You can't be paying Roy Williams, Marion Barber, Miles Austin, and Andre Gurode like they're hall of famers, but if you manage things generally well, you can always sign big contracts if you want.

Peterson is so rare, you do it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Please show me where the "sure thing" bin is, and I'll gladly take one from there.

I'm looking for the same thing my response was to a poster who said it was a sure thing. I don't believe in sure things and I sure as hell do not want to give up picks and big money to a 30 year old RB. That is a stupid move it is the kind of move that comes back and burns you. You want to live off his past glory that is fine I don't just a difference of opinions.

erod

Reaction score
Smith certainly slowed down around 30 years old. And he was easily the most durable RB to ever play the game.

Slowed down from what? He was never fast.

He took a beating late because the team was awful. Not the case here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AP is not a sure thing, he blew out a knee and missed an entire season there is no way to know how long he will hold up.

Nothing is a sure thing, it's all a matter of percentages.

What Peterson has going for him than any rookie does not is a proven track record of success at the NFL level with an all-time great season added in.

erod

Reaction score
I'm looking for the same thing my response was to a poster who said it was a sure thing. I don't believe in sure things and I sure as hell do not want to give up picks and big money to a 30 year old RB. That is a stupid move it is the kind of move that comes back and burns you. You want to live off his past glory that is fine I don't just a difference of opinions.

I'm telling you, he's going to be his same self for at least a year, probably two, and maybe five.

He is worth this risk. He's Superman.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 Posts Zoners Will Read Regardless of Personal Opinion After the Peterson Drama Ends

1. WOOHOO!
  2. DOH!
  3. Homer, the tap water was on F-I-R-E...

Well, maybe only two posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.