Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Slowed down from what? He was never fast.

He took a beating late because the team was awful. Not the case here.

Bull. Smith hit 30, had a 1,200 yard season, another barely 1,000 yard season, and then declined dramatically and looked average with the Cardinals.

He was not the same back when he was around 30, not even close. Still productive? Sure. But are we now arguing to giving up high draft picks for players a little above average now?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Walter Payton ran for 1,700 yards in 1984 at age 30. 1,550 yards in 1985 at age 31, and 1,300 yards in 1986 at age 32. .

Emmitt Smith ran for 1,400 yards in 1999 at age 30, 1,200 in 2000 at 31, and 1,000 in 2001 at age 32, while the Cowboys were falling apart around him.

John Riggins had the best two years of his career at age 34 and 35 with 1,300 and 1,200 yards respectively. scoring 24 touchdowns in a single season at age 34.

With due and deserved respect to all, none played on a team nearly as talented as this current Cowboys team at that point in their respective careers either.

Emmitt was falling as well he did have a good season at 30 and AP may have a good season at 30 but the fall off for Emmitt came quickly and we were not giving up picks to keep him. I would much rather use picks to help this defense than to use picks to get a player on the downhill side.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where here have I said that it's a guarantee a rookie RB will come in and live up to their potential? Quote me.

I haven't attributed that quote to you so I have no idea where you think I have.

This is about risk, this is about making logical decisions. You can bring up the "AP is a GOD!" or that he's superhuman, and that's fine if you believe that, but you have to understand that signing a contract with that crap in mind is absurd.

And what's a bigger risk, obtaining a known and proven commodity or one that is unproven?

If you want to speculate separately about the other components like possible salary on a new deal or draft compensation, I would be happy to address each one individually to give each factor the attention it deserves.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bull. Smith hit 30, had a 1,200 yard season, another barely 1,000 yard season, and then declined dramatically and looked average with the Cardinals.

He was not the same back when he was around 30, not even close. Still productive? Sure. But are we now arguing to giving up high draft picks for players a little above average now?

Exactly, Dallas did not have to give up a pick to keep Emmitt around and he did have a good season as he turned 30 and then it quickly started to fade.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I haven't attributed that quote to you so I have no idea where you think I have.

And what's a bigger risk, obtaining a known and proven commodity or one that is unproven?

If you want to speculate separately about the other components like possible salary on a new deal or draft compensation, I would be happy to address each one individually to give each factor the attention it deserves.

Then why bother to draft at all? they are all risk. AP missed a season with a blown ACL who is to say he will not suffer another injury or that the next injury he may choose to hang it up? Of course there are risk but this team over the last few season have been bringing in youth and cutting ties with older players and it has started to produce a winning team and now people want to go backward for a 1 year run? Sorry can't buy into that. Maybe that is the difference those who think we must win the SB next year or it is over and those who feel it is closer to being over when you make silly moves.

erod

Reaction score

Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Clint Stoerner.....

Billy Davis, Ken-Yon Rambo, Antonio Bryant, Eric Bjornson....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Incorrect. He ran for 1,397 yards in 1999 at age 30.

And were the Cowboys not falling apart around Smith at that time? Top receiver Irvin playing in just four games in '99 before his career was abruptly ended. Troy Aikman playing just 11 games before his career ended in 2000.

And how is this leap of logic to 'a little above average now' reached?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm telling you, he's going to be his same self for at least a year, probably two, and maybe five.

He is worth this risk. He's Superman.

I say he is Clark Kent and I would rather use draft picks to help this defense out and believe there is enough talent at RB in this draft to be able to get a top quality RB

erod

Reaction score
I guarantee you, if you did an NFL Combine test of all the rookies and threw Peterson in there, he would destroy the field.

All this worry over a knee, and everybody wants Todd Gurley? Makes no sense.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

And were the Cowboys not falling apart around Smith at that time? Top receiver Irvin playing in just four games in '99 before his career was abruptly ended. Troy Aikman playing just 11 games before his career ended in 2000.

So, if similar, Peterson will give us a 1,300 yard season and then hit his decline rapidly after? That's worth giving up draft picks for?

It's funny, because I've been saying that. I've said Peterson will just give us his average, around 1,300 yards and that's not worth a big contract or the loss of picks.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Smith himself was falling apart as well. The entire dynasty was either ripped apart or aging. Smith was part of that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then why bother to draft at all? they are all risk.
Because you hope to choose right and stock your team?

AP missed a season with a blown ACL who is to say he will not suffer another injury or that the next injury he may choose to hang it up?

Who's to say that couldn't happen to anyone?

Of course there are risk but this team over the last few season have been bringing in youth and cutting ties with older players and it has started to produce a winning team and now people want to go backward for a 1 year run?

How is it 'going backward' to get the league's best running back?

Sorry can't buy into that. Maybe that is the difference those who think we must win the SB next year or it is over and those who feel it is closer to being over when you make silly moves.

Good luck winning anything once Romo is gone. What's 'silly' is not going everything you can to win while he's still here.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Hey Stash, what salary do you think the Cowboys would have to give Peterson and how many seasons would the contract be for ? Also ,what do you think the Cowboys would have to give the Vikings to get Peterson ?

bsheeern

Reaction score
Peterson is like that Super Hot Chic that everyone wants. Sure you're probably gonna get your heart broke in 2 years but sometimes you just have to take the chance.

erod

Reaction score
I say he is Clark Kent and I would rather use draft picks to help this defense out and believe there is enough talent at RB in this draft to be able to get a top quality RB

Yes, you could get a top quality running back that pales in comparison to Adrian Peterson. Every team in the NFL pretty much has a top quality running back. You can get those in the fourth round.

Peterson is twice as good as Marshawn Lynch, at least. Peterson is on a different scale. It's insulting to even compare him to these running backs; you compare him to the greatest who ever played.

pansophy

Reaction score
And a rookie can be the next Julius or Felix Jones too.

On who exactly? Who are we getting defensively this year in free agency that would help this team more than Peterson at running back?

True, but you won't be spending 10 million a year on him and he won't be in his early 30's for the bulk of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.