Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
I could see the outrage if we are talking the Cowboys have to give up first rounders or multiple second rounders to get him and pay him a ton.

But I suspect most people that would want Peterson are doing so with the belief that the Vikes are going to eventually cave and we can get him for a fair price.

I doubt there are many here suggesting we should trade two 2nd rounders AND pay him $15MM next year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if I am having to use a 3rd or 4th rd pick or multiple picks that can have a big effect on addressing the defense.

So you would rather an unknown 4th round draft pick over a Hall of Fame running back? I just want to be clear here.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
But a rookie is young, cheap, and loaded with potential.

Which is more of a risk? Giving up picks and taking on a big contract of a 30 year old RB or drafting a rookie on a cheap contract for 4 years?

Think about it for a bit.

More of a risk you say? Reading your narrow minded opinion is the risk I say. Everything you write is twisted, irrelevant, and has one sole purpose. To start turmoil amongst the zoners. I sense the dark side in you. I sense an argumentative spirit in you....remember arguing with boyz fans leads to suffering, suffering leads to anger, and anger leads to the dark side....tread lightly young padime.....tread lightly.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah........... a 4th round pick on defense has so much more risk than using that 4th rounder to get Peterson.

That's insane to suggest otherwise.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I could see the outrage if we are talking the Cowboys have to give up first rounders or multiple second rounders to get him and pay him a ton.

But I suspect most people that would want Peterson are doing so with the belief that the Vikes are going to eventually cave and we can get him for a fair price.

I doubt there are many here suggesting we should trade two 2nd rounders AND pay him $15MM next year.

There are a few here saying we should go all-in on Peterson to get a Super Bowl while Romo is here.

So yes, I'm going to assume some here would give up picks this year and next year for him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
More of a risk you say? Reading your narrow minded opinion is the risk I say. Everything you write is twisted, irrelevant, and has one sole purpose. To start turmoil amongst the zoners. I sense the dark side in you. I sense an argumentative spirit in you....remember arguing with boyz fans leads to suffering, suffering leads to anger, and anger leads to the dark side....tread lightly young padime.....tread lightly.

Have the new Star Wars trailer on loop, I see. I like it!

But yes, more of a risk. Giving up draft picks and taking on a big contract is always a bigger risk than drafting a player straight up. Giving a big contract to a 30 year old RB is more of a risk than a small contract for a rookie RB.

This goes for any position. If you think the risk is worth it is up to you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peterson has been running behind a top 10 offensive line for the better part of his career.

Top 10 in what way? What Pro Bowl linemen did Peterson have blocking for him?

Had a great QB throwing for him in 09,
One season. Do you want to compare any of the quarterbacks he's had in any year other than that to Tony Romo?

ran for his average (His TD's increased). He was younger and better at that time as well. His 1,700 yard season came when he was running behind an offensive line ranked 17th in the league with run blocking.

And why was that line ranked 17th? Did it have anything to do with the fact that they were blocking for the league's best running back?

So no, it's not a certainty that he'll rush for big numbers being on our offense with a great QB and great offensive line.

Yeah, and it wasn't for Demarco Murray last year either...

You're desperately grasping at straws and failing to make your case at every turn.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Things to consider.

1. He looks exactly the same as he did as a rookie. Never carried an ounce of fat since he arrived.

2. His last game played, he looked identical to the guy at Oklahoma. Not a sniff of difference.

3. He is one of those naturally built players, not a product of the weight room. He was built like that in high school. Benched over 300 pounds as a 9th grader, and ran a 4.4.

4. And the dude just loves to play, just like Dez. This is still a game to him, not just a job. He runs like a wild mustang, and it just pours out of him. It's infectious, just like Dez.

5. And I want you to think hard about this one, Doomsday. Imagine the stress it will take off Romo if Peterson is still the same back. Imagine the runs that get finished that don't require Romo dropping back three more times on a drive. Imagine the space created for Dez and Witten on a play fake. I honestly think Peterson wins league MVP hands down on this team.

6. Lastly, imagine the fun and buzz this next season will have.

It's worth all the risk. The upside is that grand. I'm telling you, this would send shockwaves through the NFC, and you'd hear a collective....

"OH, ****!"

It would be a blast.

And I'll never forget this.

I agree 100%, With all of that; and there is also a "selfish" reason/benefit I have. I would get to see one of the best running backs Ever; In the History of the game, play every week....

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Define "all in".

I'm assuming here, like you. But there has been a poster here who said he'd give up a draft pick this year and one next year (Next year being high as well).

But when I think "all in", it's doing everything we can to get Peterson here because many believe him to be the missing piece to a Super Bowl win.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

One season. Do you want to compare any of the quarterbacks he's had in any year other than that to Tony Romo?

And why was that line ranked 17th? Did it have anything to do with the fact that they were blocking for the league's best running back?

You're desperately grasping at straws and failing to make your case at every turn.

That's your argument? Because there weren't "pro-bowl lineman" that the stats are wrong about them having a top 10 offensive line in run blocking? Sorry if you want to disregard what he's been running behind. His first few years in the league he wasn't running behind a great line (They weren't terrible though), which is why I say he was FAR more impressive back then.

We've already had the debate about Murray. Pretty sure I won that debate, so let's not do that again.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Case Dismissed, let's get Peterson, If the Cowboys can get him for two 4th round picks it's a steal.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm assuming here, like you. But there has been a poster here who said he'd give up a draft pick this year and one next year (Next year being high as well).

But when I think "all in", it's doing everything we can to get Peterson here because many believe him to be the missing piece to a Super Bowl win.

But if you note, I said "most" people that would like Peterson also don't want to give up the farm to get him either. One poster who wants to give up top picks for him doesn't refute my point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We should be expecting him to rush for 2,000 yards again or that he's the same RB? Works both ways, and exactly why you're not thinking too deeply into this.

I'm not expecting 2,000 yards from Peterson. Are you expecting that from the rookie?

That's why I, and others, have said that he needs to be the one to prove he's the same back.

Just like you've said the Cowboys have to prove interest to you when it's not legally possible. And don't think I haven't noticed how you ran from that comment.

The insanity of your claim is that the only way he proves anything is by playing in 2015.

Again, you pay players for the now not something from 3 years ago.

How do we measure 'now'?

A one-two year prove it deal, that is all Peterson is worth at this point.

In your opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a few here saying we should go all-in on Peterson to get a Super Bowl while Romo is here.

So yes, I'm going to assume some here would give up picks this year and next year for him.

An incorrect assumption and something nobody has ever said. But people often refer to false claims when their case falls apart.

Sydla

Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders. Since 2007, here are their Vikings rankings for run blocking OLs

2007 - 16th
2008 - 17th
2009 - 20th
2010 - 11th
2011 - 18th
2012 - 10th
2013 - 10th

So not sure where one can support the claim that he's run behind Top 10 OLs for much of his career. One advanced statistics analysis suggests otherwise.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm not expecting 2,000 yards from Peterson. Are you expecting that from the rookie?

Just like you've said the Cowboys have to prove interest to you when it's not legally possible. And don't think I haven't noticed how you ran from that comment.

The insanity of your claim is that the only way he proves anything is by playing in 2015.

How do we measure 'now'?

In your opinion.

Run from what? I'm not the one making claims that the Cowboys are interested in him, others here have. I'm going by this: Until there are reliable sources saying that the Dallas Cowboys are interested in Peterson, there is absolutely no reason to think there is. What do we know now? We are very interested in the RBs in this draft. You can bring up the "smokescreen" nonsense.

Insanity? Um, we have two players on "Prove it" deals right now. That's not insanity, it's good management; something both Jerry and Stephen seem to be implementing.

Anything else?

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Exactly, Dallas did not have to give up a pick to keep Emmitt around and he did have a good season as he turned 30 and then it quickly started to fade.

It started to fade when Roy Williams layed him out on the carpet of Texas Stadium. That season was injury plagued for him and then he came back for one more year and put up the same amount of yards he did as a rookie.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders. Since 2007, here are their Vikings rankings for run blocking OLs

2007 - 16th
2008 - 17th
2009 - 20th
2010 - 11th
2011 - 18th
2012 - 10th
2013 - 10th

So not sure where one can support the claim that he's run behind Top 10 OLs for much of his career. One advanced statistics analysis suggests otherwise.

So he's benefited from a top 10-11 offensive line 3 out of the past 4 years. His second best season came behind a pretty average offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.