Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Then why bother to draft at all? they are all risk. AP missed a season with a blown ACL who is to say he will not suffer another injury or that the next injury he may choose to hang it up? Of course there are risk but this team over the last few season have been bringing in youth and cutting ties with older players and it has started to produce a winning team and now people want to go backward for a 1 year run? Sorry can't buy into that. Maybe that is the difference those who think we must win the SB next year or it is over and those who feel it is closer to being over when you make silly moves.

Its a year to year window with Romo. I think it would be a mistake to count on anything more then 3 years. And 3 years is pushing it. That is just my guesstimate. That is how I would approach managing this team.

I believe at best, there will be a 1-2 year transition to a new QB when we wont have a real chance to do much. We can use that time to eat up some dead money, spent on Romo and AP. My gut feeling is were done for quite some time after Romo.....Unless this organization starts making a real effort to prepare for that day.

So yeah, the time to win a Super Bowl is NOW!

And imagine the chance we have here if AP truly is available? AP isnt going to a team thats rebuilding. He is going to a team that has a chance at winning. There are maybe 2-3 teams he will fit in with.

Dallas is one of them. And, ohh by the way, we have an awesome young offensive line.
And, ohh by the way, AP grew up in Texas and Dallas was his childhood team.
And, ohh by the way, he has expressed interest in the Cowboys.
And, ohh by the way, our bellcow signed with Philly....

I wouldn't even consider this move if we were in rebuilding mode. And AP is the only running back I would consider paying this much. It was smart to let Murray go. And there aren't any other RBs available, worth that money. Just one. AP.

But were not in rebuilding mode. . Were in Playoffs/Super Bowl mode....at least we damn well better be.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I am beginning to come around to roo's point. You are so far in the tank to rip any potential deal to get Peterson that you can't back down now.

Again, Peterson never, ever, ever, ever played behind a line as good as the one he could play behind if he ended up in Dallas.

Even at his age, for the right price, only a total fool would say no.

And FWIW, I think the odds aren't good in our favor to get him anyway.

And if you go back and read my posts, instead of going by what stashroo says, you'd see I said the same thing. If Peterson came at the right price, bring him in.

But what is your right price? That's where we'll differ. I, and many others, are not in favor of a big contract. This isn't outlandish to say.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Its a year to year window with Romo. I think it would be a mistake to count on anything more then 3 years. And 3 years is pushing it. That is just my guesstimate. That is how I would approach managing this team.

I believe at best, there will be a 1-2 year transition to a new QB when we wont have a real chance to do much. We can use that time to eat up some dead money, spent on Romo and AP. My gut feeling is were done for quite some time after Romo.....Unless this organization starts making a real effort to prepare for that day.

So yeah, the time to win a Super Bowl is NOW!

And imagine the chance we have here if AP truly is available? AP isnt going to a team thats rebuilding. He is going to a team that has a chance at winning. There are maybe 2-3 teams he will fit in with.

Dallas is one of them. And, ohh by the way, we have an awesome young offensive line.
And, ohh by the way, AP grew up in Texas and Dallas was his childhood team.
And, ohh by the way, he has expressed interest in the Cowboys.
And, ohh by the way, our bellcow signed with Philly....

I wouldn't even consider this move if we were in rebuilding mode. But were not. Were in Playoffs/Super Bowl mode....at least we damn well better be.

again this all comes down to one simple thing those who feel that all in centered around Romo and once he is gone the Cowboys will suck, I don't buy that I think if Dallas plans wisely they can live past Romo but acting as if it is all or nothing more times than not you end up with nothing.

erod

Reaction score
I'm implying if he was released, not if we trade for him.

He's not going to be released. They'll sit him before they release him.

With Indy, Arizona, and Dallas interested already, and with a line of teams still to form, it'll be pricey in the end, I'm afraid.

Probably a 1 and a 4, something like that. I hope less.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
again this all comes down to one simple thing those who feel that all in centered around Romo and once he is gone the Cowboys will suck, I don't buy that I think if Dallas plans wisely they can live past Romo but acting as if it is all or nothing more times than not you end up with nothing.

This is what I've been saying.

But people think there is no way to plan for the future while still trying to win now.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's not going to be released. They'll sit him before they release him.

With Indy, Arizona, and Dallas interested already, and with a line of teams still to form, it'll be pricey in the end, I'm afraid.

Probably a 1 and a 4, something like that. I hope less.

We'll have to see if things get settled with them or not. I see the Vikings taking advantage of the June 1st cuts (I think they changed it to May something now) if something doesn't get worked out. If the Viking's owner is serious about wanting Peterson to stay, I think things will get settled. But I'm still leaning towards him being released next month.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is what I've been saying.

But people think there is no way to plan for the future while still trying to win now.

I think as I said you more likely to hit nothing when playing all or nothing. I think if Dallas continue being smart in their moves they can win now and they can win post Romo

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
We should be expecting him to rush for 2,000 yards again or that he's the same RB? Works both ways, and exactly why you're not thinking too deeply into this.

That's why I, and others, have said that he needs to be the one to prove he's the same back. Again, you pay players for the now not something from 3 years ago. A one-two year prove it deal, that is all Peterson is worth at this point.

Prove what? That he has talent? Besides , he only has 2 years left.....................?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
We'll have to see if things get settled with them or not. I see the Vikings taking advantage of the June 1st cuts (I think they changed it to May something now) if something doesn't get worked out. If the Viking's owner is serious about wanting Peterson to stay, I think things will get settled. But I'm still leaning towards him being released next month.

It would be idiotic to just release him when there are multiple teams interested in trading for him.

AZ_Cowboys_Fan

Reaction score
No they don't but you can put in place an offense to help a young QB so that he can come in a help the team not carry the team. You don't build around 1 player that is stupid and once he retires it is over with. You bring up Aikman? Dallas went from Meredith to Morton got to a SB then to Roger then to White and were in the mix through out the whole time. Not all were great but they were good and played on solid teams who could compete. I don't know who the next QB of the Cowboys may be, hell he could be a great QB who knows but no QB will do much if you stick him on a team with no talent to help and support him.

I hear you and it's just two different philosophies. The way I view it is that this team has a 2-3 year window in which it is right on the doorstep of winning a SB. I feel that AP has 2 very good years left.... that could mean back to back SB victories. Sign me up for that every day of the week... that is, assuming we don't give up a ton of draft picks to get him.

pansophy

Reaction score
And if you go back and read my posts, instead of going by what stashroo says, you'd see I said the same thing. If Peterson came at the right price, bring him in.

But what is your right price? That's where we'll differ. I, and many others, are not in favor of a big contract. This isn't outlandish to say.

Exactly. If he wants to play for McFadden money and we don't have to trade for him then nobody is going to say that they don't want AP (though we will still have to deal with the PR from adding two domestic violence offenders in the same season).

But does anyone really think that the Vikings are going to cut him and that if cut AP would play for what McFadden is getting? If that is what you guys are arguing, then ok. But what I'm hearing is that we should try to trade for him and that we should pay significant money to him.

I would never ever trade for a 30 year old RB and pay him big money. We had an 1800 yard runner last year and only won 1 playoff game. I don't know why that fact doesn't sink in. AP, as great as he is, only ran for more yards than that one time in his career, and some are acting like if we add AP that somehow we are now contenders!?!?!?!

So basically the guy has to run for 2100 yards at 30 years old to have a meaningfully stronger season than Murray had last year. No thank you. Save the draft pick and money for the defense because a poor defense is the reason we have not been a true contender.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Latest on AP---sure to appease mattjames, the dead guy from the matrix, and doom.....

An NFL general manager told Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman that he believes the Raiders are "right there" in the mix to trade for Adrian Peterson.
ESPN Raiders reporter Bill Williamson adds that he "keeps hearing" Oakland connected to Peterson. GM Reggie McKenzie has been trying to add star power to his roster and Peterson would certainly fit the bill. And the Raiders are one team with the cap space to take on A.D.'s $12.75 million cap hit. It's definitely concerning for Latavius Murray owners that McKenzie has seemed hellbent on adding talent to his backfield, first flirting with DeMarco Murray and now Peterson.
Related: [SIZE=+0]Raiders[/SIZE]

This drives up price,,,?? Not good , but I dont see AP wanting to play the remaining of his career in Oakland.....? Just for the extra few million? Money is money, but for AP, who has money and will get money, there has to be more to it then that.

He has to take pride in being the best. One of the best of all time. You would have to think, he doesnt want to get buried in oakland.....?

gmoney112

Reaction score
Exactly. If he wants to play for McFadden money and we don't have to trade for him then nobody is going to say that they don't want AP (though we will still have to deal with the PR from adding two domestic violence offenders in the same season).

But does anyone really think that the Vikings are going to cut him and that if cut AP would play for what McFadden is getting? If that is what you guys are arguing, then ok. But what I'm hearing is that we should try to trade for him and that we should pay significant money to him.

I would never ever trade for a 30 year old RB and pay him big money. We had an 1800 yard runner last year and only won 1 playoff game. I don't know why that fact doesn't sink in. AP, as great as he is, only ran for more yards than that one time in his career, and some are acting like if we add AP that somehow we are now contenders!?!?!?!

So basically the guy has to run for 2100 yards at 30 years old to have a meaningfully stronger season than Murray had last year. No thank you. Save the draft pick and money for the defense because a poor defense is the reason we have not been a true contender.

I wouldn't give a draft pick but I'd pay him if they released him. They're paying an astronomical price and they have a talented back behind him, as well as this draft being extremely deep. They may not want to pay a guy that amount that doesn't want to be there, when they do have other options.

The truth is, our defense is the reason why we didn't get further, that is true. But our running game also is a big reason why we got to that point in the first place. AD is an upgrade to Murray. We'd not only fail to get worse at the position, we'd actually be getting better, which would be hard to do with the success we had.

And the run game isn't just about yards, it's about taking over a game. AD doesn't even need 1800 yards to have a "stronger season", than Murray did, he simply needs to be the monster and playmaker he's been his entire career. I don't think you'd find any defense in the NFL that'd rather face AD than Murray.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It would be idiotic to just release him when there are multiple teams interested in trading for him.

Teams are rumored to be interested in trading for him. And it's still just an interest, that doesn't mean any team will even if the rumors are true.

Status
Not open for further replies.