Twitter: Aesthetics are obviously more important than winning

Diehardblues

Reaction score
th

JustChip

Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people think the Cowboys offense should have a separate playbook for the sun. Let’s say its 3rd and 20 and the niners are bringing a weakside blitz and doubling Cooper (which they were). Sun is covering 60% of the secondary. So 60% of your passing game playbook is missing. Or worse imagine your QB is at the other end of the stayjum and is trying to find a receiver. It’s crazy!
Not a separate playbook, but absolutely what plays are called should be a consideration for the time the sun is an issue. The same as teams do not throw 40 yard passes or attempt 55 yard field goals into a 25 mph wind.

The glare is not an issue for the entire game, every game. It’s a issue for about 15 minutes, usually in the middle to late 3rd quarter, during the late afternoon games later in the season. Sun was an issue at Texas Stadium, too, but it was during the noon games early in the season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but it’s an unnecessary risk. It bit us in a playoff game. The smartest thing to do if WINNING is the goal, you remove ANY obstacle you can control. It’s just stupid.

But in removing that obstacle you are also removing it for the opponent. It's a level playing field is all I'm saying. So I don't think you can say its about winning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, but it’s an unnecessary risk. It bit us in a playoff game. The smartest thing to do if WINNING is the goal, you remove ANY obstacle you can control. It’s just stupid.
But we know winning isn’t the ultimate goal here. And why we really can’t take this franchise serious anymore when it comes to football operations .

I know we try to sweep it all under the rug but in the end it’s all entertainment. And why our expectations need to be adjusted . Some think it’s negative or too realistic but our owner isn’t doing everything within his power to win as even admits it. But yet we are still waiting on the corner like a drug addict waiting for our next fix . I waived my white flag years ago. Yea, we still spend our time discussing every detail but in the end this is nothing more than Jethro playing out his passion to be a football guy all at our expense. It’s sheer entertainment for us now.

I cussed at first but then I laughed cause we get to watch the old hoot squirm around this mess again. It’s almost worth the admission cause the football franchise we all love to root for every game has been gone for years. We just hang around to see the next sequel . Lol

ShortRound

Reaction score

Having the sun blind your receiver costing your team a FG chance right before half would make 31 other NFL owners put some damn curtains up. But this owner values “aesthetics” over winning. Period.

Stop saying “Jerry wants to win” because winning football games is obviously less important to him than visual aesthetics. He’s been asked about this problem for a decade and he won’t change it. Is there a single sane person who would allow the sun to blind their players in a playoff game?

It’s disgusting.

The fact that the whole Jone's clan (not just Jerry) knows this and won't fix it is just mind-numbing.

ICP

Reaction score
Been this way ever since JJ left town and won't change any time soon

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Having the sun blind your receiver costing your team a FG chance right before half would make 31 other NFL owners put some damn curtains up. But this owner values “aesthetics” over winning. Period.

Stop saying “Jerry wants to win” because winning football games is obviously less important to him than visual aesthetics. He’s been asked about this problem for a decade and he won’t change it. Is there a single sane person who would allow the sun to blind their players in a playoff game?

It’s disgusting.

I don't understand why they just can't put heavy tinting on the windows on that side (only one side since sun goes down in the west and we only play afternoon games. they can even put automatic blinds that can roll down and cover the window when they expect to see glare.....roll them down (like you roll open the roof) and roll them back up....idiotic

CoachD

Reaction score
Yup for a 2 billion dollar stadium it has plenty of defects i.e. the sun blinding players, the scoreboard being too low and hit by punts, how the hell is that possible Jerry you built the place!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would have lost even with curtains lol.

Stop lying to yourselves, guys.
I agree- we got our posterior handed to us. Just saying we shouldn’t make the field a disadvantage for aesthetic purposes.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Not to defend Jerry, as I would be immediately banned here if I told you my true thoughts on him, but the glare is just as likely to blind the opponent. So it's not really about winning.
The sun is the same for both teams. That's ridiculous to intimate that it's purpose is to blind the opponent. All I know is Wilson saw nothing but sun and simply couldn't see the ball. That play ended a drive that might have ended in points.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Curtains! Curtains can be moved out of the way when the opponent has the ball.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Not even a Jerry supporter but of all the things to complain about lol.....please. We didn’t lose the game because a curtain wasn’t up. Even if you think it’s symbolic of Jerry’s ownership it’s still ridiculous

triplets_93

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't have to win to keep his job as GM, nor does his son to keep his job as Director of Player Personnel.

When the guys who make the big decisions, decide who gets paid, have no fear of losing their jobs, you get what you get.

We've got 3 playoff wins in the last 25 years, and they still have their jobs.

But we'll get 'em next year! :rolleyes:

The Jones Empire rolls on, with or without losing.
Jerry is the Master Promoter/Salesman/Marketer

When Jerry is gone, then Stephen will be forced to hire an excellent GM, because the public is not going to put up with his sales/promotion/marketing pitch... There's only ONE Jerry Jones.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Perhaps Dak and Wilson should have been aware of glare areas and taken that into considerations, just as the slope involved in the old Cowboys Stadium. Smart useage? More so than an opponent has. There should be some functional knowledge involved by Dak Prescott after a few years.