News: AFC Bills-vs-Bengals Game will not be rescheduled (no conspiracies)

jwitten82

Reaction score
Exactly like I said would happen. Rearranging the playoffs made no sense. The easy answer is just what the league did. The players don't care about finishing so why should anyone else?
Honestly, since the players don't care about the playing that game, knowing the significance of it, they shouldn't care if the league rules it a tie

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't think any of us know what the players care about. This is a league decision, no doubt with TV contracts (where they make the most money) in mind.

Rearranging the TV schedule or potentially playing a neutral site game, which will still get big TV ratings? You see which way they went.

LovinItAll

Reaction score

I know this may sound callous, but whatever:

If the same thing happens again, the teams playing should decide what to do. Let’s say the Bills decided they couldn’t continue. Totally understandable. If Cincy agreed that the game shouldn’t resume, then call it a tie, not a no contest. If Cincy says, ‘Sorry, but we’re ready to play’, then it’s a forfeit by the Bills. If someone thinks football ‘doesn’t matter’ in that situation, then either outcome is fair, because the game (football) doesn’t matter.

To me, it either matters or it doesn’t, and I don’t care what side of the fence one falls on. We’ve seen men paralyzed on the field and play continued. The NFL has seen someone die as a result of game play, but the game continued (yes, it was late in the 4th quarter, but still). It looks like Hamlin is going to get a much better outcome than either of those.

I’m not saying that I think the NFL made the wrong call on Monday night. I AM saying that this - or something very much like this - will happen again. I was surprised there was no mechanism already in place for this eventuality. Now there should be.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the future, the league should start the season a week or two earlier- like around Sept 1st. Then allow all teams to have two bye weeks or one bye plus an extra week between playoffs starting. That would:
  • Allow for a potential makeup week for any games or situations like we had this week.
  • By allowing an extra week of rest for all teams entering the playoffs, it would also allow players to be more rested and healthier entering the playoffs.

Stak78

Reaction score
Even if I had died I would have wanted my teammates to finish the game and win in my memory. I would not have wanted them to quit and walk away because I had an accident. So much for winning one for the Gipper. In the name of compassion the world has gone mad. Why play anymore games again, ever? Someone could get seriously hurt and it’s just not worth it for a game, right? It’s not just a game, it’s life and they way we choose to live it despite the dangers and the inevitable heartbreak of loss and tragedy. Just my humble opinion. I’m ready for the hate my opinion will bring.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. That would happen if Buffalo played all 17 games because they have the head to head tiebreaker over the Chiefs.

If KC were to lose, and Cincinnati already beat them they would have the tie breaker.
And if the game was played and Cincinnati won they would have had HFA, now the best they can do is 2nd seed. Unless Buffalo and KC both lose, and Cincinnati wins. I think,

Having the any of these teams play at a neutral site in this very unfortunate unique situation may be the way to go.
Many fans of each team will not be happy regardless.
The most likely place for them to play is in Indy as it is a domed stadium basically centrally located.
Detroit the other option if they are not in the playoffs.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
In the future, the league should start the season a week or two earlier- like around Sept 1st. Then allow all teams to have two bye weeks or one bye plus an extra week between playoffs starting. That would:
  • Allow for a potential makeup week for any games or situations like we had this week.
  • By allowing an extra week of rest for all teams entering the playoffs, it would also allow players to be more rested and healthier entering the playoffs.

Teams with a first round by will literally have 3 weeks until they play their first playoff game. That's a long time.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The silver lining for both the Bills and the Bengals is they leave the game (minus Damar) with fresher legs for the final game and playoffs ahead. It’s a small victory.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams with a first round by will literally have 3 weeks until they play their first playoff game. That's a long time.
No. They would potentially have two weeks.1 Season ends with all playoff teams getting week off. 2. Playoffs start with 1 seeds getting second week off. (Which is the same amount of time off for the SB.)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

You'll get your second bye when they add an 18th game. Funny thing is, the CFL has been doing that for years (18 games/20 weeks).

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
No. They would potentially have two weeks.1 Season ends with all playoff teams getting week off. 2. Playoffs start with 1 seeds getting second week off. (Which is the same amount of time off for the SB.)

It's 3 weeks overall.
Sunday last game of season.
Next Sunday everyone off. (1st week)
Following Sunday Wild Card weekend. (2nd week)
Following Sunday Divisional Round. (3rd week)

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The lions would be in, in that situation I believe.

Lions and Packers have the same record. One of them will lose the game they play and would have a worse record than Washington if they win. If Seattle loses, they too would have a worse record than Washington because of Washington's tie. After the Giants, it would be Green Bay (or Lions) and Washington last in with an 8-team field.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Should the NFL try and pick a neutral site that's half way between the teams home cities??

mldardy

Reaction score
If KC were to lose, and Cincinnati already beat them they would have the tie breaker.
And if the game was played and Cincinnati won they would have had HFA, now the best they can do is 2nd seed. Unless Buffalo and KC both lose, and Cincinnati wins. I think,

Having the any of these teams play at a neutral site in this very unfortunate unique situation may be the way to go.
Many fans of each team will not be happy regardless.
The most likely place for them to play is in Indy as it is a domed stadium basically centrally located.
Detroit the other option if they are not in the playoffs.
I'm not really sure how I feel about neutral site game. You work all year to get home field to not get the advantage of it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Should the NFL try and pick a neutral site that's half way between the teams home cities??

If it's Buffalo-KC then I say play it in Indianapolis where even weather won't be a factor. Cincinnati is close to Indy, though, so if it's them it won't be very neutral.

Mannix

Reaction score
Uhhh a neutral site? I'd be pissed personally.
Buffalo is getting screwed and once again, KC catches a break....having said that, I actually thought of the Neutral Field idea as well, given that its the only way left to somewhat make this whole thing fair....and if it is on a neutral field, it needs to be played closer to Buffalo.