After further review a week later, Refs stole game from Cowboys vs Packers once again

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the NFL is under any legal obligation to provide a fair playing field. They could legally decide who wins the SB in March and make it happen.

Now going to that extreme would be a terrible mistake and be very bad for business, but the only thing realistically keeping the league from doing that is entirely profit driven, not legally driven.

Why would anyone blow the whistle? Everyone who's income comes from an association with the NFL benefits from a business strategy that increases profits. A little "manipulation" here and there benefits everyone, including the players.

The league has modified and added rules to be very subjective.
They are now involved in and profiting from the gambling side of the business.

The league has both motive and opportunity to easily tweak things here and there to the benefit of everyone who gets a piece of that very large pie without going full blow WWE.

I've been around to long to believe that the spirit of fair play will override the opportunity to legally and essentially risk free, tilt things slightly towards profits.

I want things to be the way you see them but I can't ignore the myriad of things that point the other way, smoking gun or no smoking gun.

To be clear, my thoughts on this are not based on the fortunes of the Cowboys alone. I'm absolutely not scapegoating the league for the lack of Cowboys success.
The cons simply don’t outweigh the pros for corrupting the results. The league has been prospering regardless who wins .

Any additional benefit by some teams winning rather than others wouldn’t be worth the cost if corruption in officiating to throw games was ever revealed.

And why does anyone ever blow the whistle . Maybe the 200 grand a year isn’t enough. Maybe they didn’t get to call the games they wanted . Maybe they were terminated. Who knows .

And if there was truly suspicion of corruption I’d imagine DOJ could arrange an undercover official.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
I suppose it depends where you are playing in the arena . Most people don’t make the correct choices in life to allow themselves to be in the arena .

I’ve been involved either directly or indirectly in both arenas . And the system works as it was intended .

Not everyone places themselves in a position to be a part of it . They become outsiders and feel that everyone is out to get them.

Calling it rigged is just a way of denouncing or not accepting their own failures. Or lack of effort to be a part of it.

The system isn’t perfect . It has flaws. Can be manipulated , etc. It also has check and balances.

Manipulated. That’s the word. The 2% manipulates the system legally to benefit themselves. EVERYONE is “outside” except that 2%.

ESisback

Reaction score
Well, maybe ur right.

Maybe all the flags refs call on our opponents are meaningless and don't hurt our opponents at all, and all of the flags thrown at us severely help our opponents.

Seems like a totally normal, objective, non paranoid, non-spoiled-child way of looking at the situation[/QUOTE

Sarcasm works on dumb people. The more absurd, the better!✊

ESisback

Reaction score
It's crazy how people look for excuses.

It's such a loser mentality.

Show me a team of players, or any company for that matter, who constantly looks for external excuses for failure like 75% of the fans here do, and I'll show you an organization mired in mediocrity (at best).

Maybe it's just the millennial-mindset: Not My Fault....and Give Me What I Want Whether I've Earned It Or Not.

You are certainly right about that Millennial mindset! Excuses and loser mentality have taken over. I sincerely agree.

But…

Pointing out that a small “elite” class manipulates the rules to serve their interests is NOT fabricating excuses.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the NFL is under any legal obligation to provide a fair playing field. They could legally decide who wins the SB in March and make it happen.

Now going to that extreme would be a terrible mistake and be very bad for business, but the only thing realistically keeping the league from doing that is entirely profit driven, not legally driven.

Why would anyone blow the whistle? Everyone who's income comes from an association with the NFL benefits from a business strategy that increases profits. A little "manipulation" here and there benefits everyone, including the players.

The league has modified and added rules to be very subjective.
They are now involved in and profiting from the gambling side of the business.

The league has both motive and opportunity to easily tweak things here and there to the benefit of everyone who gets a piece of that very large pie without going full blow WWE.

I've been around to long to believe that the spirit of fair play will override the opportunity to legally and essentially risk free, tilt things slightly towards profits.

I want things to be the way you see them but I can't ignore the myriad of things that point the other way, smoking gun or no smoking gun.

To be clear, my thoughts on this are not based on the fortunes of the Cowboys alone. I'm absolutely not scapegoating the league for the lack of Cowboys success.
I think they have an antitrust obligation to provide a fair level playing field. They would easily be sued and lose if any owner could prove an effort to sabotage and create their chosen winner!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Actually, I think the league did admit some mistakes in that GB game. Not sure about that specific play, however.

You are just spinning now. You asked for calls that went in our favor that could have affected the outcome. I pointed out one in a game you brought up. You conclude that since holds happen all that time, it doesn't qualify. LOL. OK. I can see it would be a waste of time continuing this discussion if you are just going to create bizarre parameters that suit your argument.

The parameters ALWAYS change when you match them with counter-evidence. Look at this thread itself as you've pointed out. After actual evidence came out, then all of a sudden what "happened" on the play morphed to justify not being a hold. When we led the league in penalties last year, it's "proof" the officials are out to get us due to the numbers. When we were middle of the road earlier in the year then it was, "oh numbers don't matter, it's WHEN the penalties are called like late, game-affecting." You show a late game-affecting no-call in our favor like below and then they'll pull something else to say it doesn't qualify, just like here. Their sole strategy is to simply inject haze and suspicion based on gigantic presumptive evil-leaning leaps. Then get mad when presented with counter-evidence that doesn't co-sign the whine.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I am in no way a conspiracy theorist on a league bias against the Cowboys. I am however of the feeling that a personal bias of the refs comes into play against the Cowboys every now and then. Just human nature. While the Cowboys are one of the most loved teams, they are also one of the most hated and the number of refs who hate the Cowboys has to be, just based on the normal population of regular fans, greater than the number of refs hate for other specific teams.

That has to effect officiating to some degree!

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Actually, I think the league did admit some mistakes in that GB game. Not sure about that specific play, however.

You are just spinning now. You asked for calls that went in our favor that could have affected the outcome. I pointed out one in a game you brought up. You conclude that since holds happen all that time, it doesn't qualify. LOL. OK. I can see it would be a waste of time continuing this discussion if you are just going to create bizarre parameters that suit your argument.

Well, I told you why it wasn’t convincing. Is that it was a missed hold really that bizarre of a parameter? It’s known as a penalty that can be called on every single play. Is it not?

Since you’re sure we’ve benefited it should easy to come up with one more. A clear PI, and questionable late hit. Anything very obvious that clearly helped us win.

I’ll look at the hold of you feel it was close to as bad as the one on Irving—which was actually on the play that directly led to their win.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, I told you why it wasn’t convincing. Is that it was a missed hold really that bizarre of a parameter? It’s known as a penalty that can be called on every single play. Is it not?

Since you’re sure we’ve benefited it should easy to come up with one more. A clear PI, and questionable late hit. Anything very obvious that clearly helped us win.

I’ll look at the hold of you feel it was close to as bad as the one on Irving—which was actually on the play that directly led to their win.

No but it's a key play that possibly influenced the outcome of the game. Because it seemingly refutes your line here that we don't potential game changing calls in our favor, you toss it out because I guess, holds are missed all the time. So are PIs. So are late hits. So are unsportsmanlikes.

The Cowboys have been the beneficiaries of calls that work in their favor. You don't seem to think so. It is what it is.

PS - The hold against Suh was pretty blatant and blatant enough for the league to comment that it was a totally botched call.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Funny how you add the past 12 years. Did you have to go that far to see the Packers ultimately get flagged barely more than the Cowboys? I didn't even bother to check, so I will take your biased word for it.

How about since 2016 during this Dak and Zeke era that has affected this team the past 7 years against the Packers? Why don't you put those results down? I already did my homework. Even took screenshots. It definitely blows your point out of the water since it's blatantly clear Aaron Rodgers and the Packers have been getting helped by the officials BADLY!

Want me to post those screenshots so I can make you look silly, or are you and your pals going to take my word the way I took yours for stretching your argument by having to go 12 years way back to find a result to fit your narrative, even though what happened 10-12 years ago has nothing to do with how the officiating has affected today's Dak/Zeke led Cowboys the past 7 years.

I'll wait for your response and see if you truly want to be embarrassed or not. You decide.
If it's as "blatantly clear" as you say this "bad call" is, by all means, post all the screenshots you've got. But add videos too, so we aren't trying to decide by still photos.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Greg, you just had a fellow poster (who said he was a NCAA Div 1 official for many years) admit the game at the college level was very much run based on agendas, politics, media markets and conference shenanigans, etc, yet you continue to stubbornly dig in and refuse to believe there is some bias officiating at the NFL level. I guess you do believe in the Easter Bunny after all?
:muttley:
Did he "admit" it, or did he "claim" it? Big difference.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are certainly right about that Millennial mindset! Excuses and loser mentality have taken over. I sincerely agree.

But…

Pointing out that a small “elite” class manipulates the rules to serve their interests is NOT fabricating excuses.
Id agree . Not sure why we have a problem with playing within the rules . But I’d argue the 2% have aggressively placed themselves in that position. Most inherit or marry into it but the rest work their butts off making sacrifices most would rather avoid. Including talented artist and athletes.

Not everyone in their youth saw the potential that being in the top 10% of their class could bring them.

I don’t have much sympathy for the slackers of the world to be complaining the world is rigged against them because they didn’t have the vision earlier in life to make those better life and career choices .

I do have passion for those less fortunate or from impoverished backgrounds and limited opportunities. The rest will have to live with those choices made. And be thankful the 2% were ambitious enough to provide them their blue collar jobs.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am in no way a conspiracy theorist on a league bias against the Cowboys. I am however of the feeling that a personal bias of the refs comes into play against the Cowboys every now and then. Just human nature. While the Cowboys are one of the most loved teams, they are also one of the most hated and the number of refs who hate the Cowboys has to be, just based on the normal population of regular fans, greater than the number of refs hate for other specific teams.

That has to effect officiating to some degree!
While it’s entirely possible there could be some individual bias , I’d like to believe there would be some accountability. We know the officials are graded every game and then at seasons end . The league even calls out mistakes or errors .

Someone would have to address suspected bias. There is a check and balance . Unless we believe there’s a league wide initiation to be bias towards the Cowboys.

aikemirv

Reaction score
While it’s entirely possible there could be some individual bias , I’d like to believe there would be some accountability. We know the officials are graded every game and then at seasons end . The league even calls out mistakes or errors .

Someone would have to address suspected bias. There is a check and balance . Unless we believe there’s a league wide initiation to be bias towards the Cowboys.

Case in point is Connor Williams - 11 holds in 2021 with the Cowboys

0 holding in 2022 - How is that even remotely possible???????

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillCo00.htm#all_ol_penalties

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Case in point is Connor Williams - 11 holds in 2021 with the Cowboys

0 holding in 2022 - How is that even remotely possible???????

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillCo00.htm#all_ol_penalties
I hear ya. What’s really bizarre to me is Martin. Only one hold this season which is about his average with like 8 in his career . I don’t care how great he is ,dude is bound to hold someone more than once a year.

Holding is a pure judgment call. And you have to see it as well. I do think the greater athletes often get the benefit of the calls. Not that it’s bias but I think it’s natural instinct to believe it’s more likely needed to cheat in order to defend a greater player. And once a player has history then they’ll watch closer.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

But…

Oh, I'm down with the small elite groups.

The Illiterates have been ruling this country, and probably this site, for quite a while.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No but it's a key play that possibly influenced the outcome of the game. Because it seemingly refutes your line here that we don't potential game changing calls in our favor, you toss it out because I guess, holds are missed all the time. So are PIs. So are late hits. So are unsportsmanlikes.

The Cowboys have been the beneficiaries of calls that work in their favor. You don't seem to think so. It is what it is.

PS - The hold against Suh was pretty blatant and blatant enough for the league to comment that it was a totally botched call.
It’s that holds are common. A Cowboys fan can likely point to any 10 missed holds on Parsons alone in one game. It’s a given that those calls don’t often go our way imo. And I can’t really argue them because they are so common.

What I’ve pointed out as evidence of a possible bias is 6 very unique calls/string of no calls that have happened to one team.

The holds, roughings, and PI s are impossible to argue. And congratulations for finding one that suits your narrative. That’s it though and as I said it doesn’t compare. We get those bs hold misses very often.

Show me a team of players, or any company for that matter, who constantly looks for external excuses for failure like 75% of the fans here do, and I'll show you an organization mired in mediocrity (at best).

Maybe it's just the millennial-mindset: Not My Fault....and Give Me What I Want Whether I've Earned It Or Not.
I guess you don’t follow elections. The only difference is there’s actually evidence of unique and rare questionable (at best) calls.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

You feel that referees that enforce rules are external?

So is the SEC some external force that Wall st. doesn’t factor in because they have no bearing on business?