CFZ After reading Jimmy's book, I'm not expecting a ROH ceremony any time soon

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
You read a book written by Bill Belichick??

bh2i0cowwlnztqutbfiu.jpg
Totally agree.

But to play devil's advocate - Bill had a lot of things luckily go his way. I guarantee his legacy would be much different had he taken the Jets job (and stayed there).

He inherited an organization that played in a super bowl 3 years earlier, and lucked into one of the greatest NFL players of all time after his franchise guy (who was pretty damn good himself) went down.

Jimmy didn't win nearly as many rings as Bill, but there's something to be said for a guy that replaces Landry, breaks a team down to nothing and finishes 1-15, then wins back to back championships only a short time later.

It's also worth noting that Bill is a Jimmy disciple. They've been friends for decades and he visits Jimmy every off-season in the Keys to talk about the draft and coaching. Only reason they never worked together is Bill is as averse to moving down south as Jimmy was to moving up north.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No surprise here because if Jimmy was going to tell his professional story accurately he couldn't do it without exposing Jerry but it sure won't help expedite his ROH induction I'm sure.

I knew the story well and it still made me sick to read it. An Owner destroying a dynasty simply because he wanted credit for things he didn't do. It's the most egregious act I've ever seen in sports.

IMO he took it easy on Jerry. He doesn't go into that much depth but he has to address it to explain his departure from Dallas. Why he was burned out. How long he was dealing with this nonsense.

To the sane these comments are rather benign. To an egomaniac they are a declaration of war.

I fear he will leave this Earth never seeing his name where it belongs in that stadium and that will be yet another abomination committed by the 9th wonder of the world: the ego of Jerry Jones.

Who is 80 years, 1 month and 16 days old. In case anyone was wondering.

Most egregious thing in sports??????

Also.... what exactly is your point about Jerry's age?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No surprise here because if Jimmy was going to tell his professional story accurately he couldn't do it without exposing Jerry but it sure won't help expedite his ROH induction I'm sure.

I knew the story well and it still made me sick to read it. An Owner destroying a dynasty simply because he wanted credit for things he didn't do. It's the most egregious act I've ever seen in sports.

IMO he took it easy on Jerry. He doesn't go into that much depth but he has to address it to explain his departure from Dallas. Why he was burned out. How long he was dealing with this nonsense.

To the sane these comments are rather benign. To an egomaniac they are a declaration of war.

I fear he will leave this Earth never seeing his name where it belongs in that stadium and that will be yet another abomination committed by the 9th wonder of the world: the ego of Jerry Jones.

Who is 80 years, 1 month and 16 days old. In case anyone was wondering.
Jerry is THE most insecure, neurotic billionaire I’ve ever seen. He has proven for three decades that he has never understood what it means to have shared success. His pitiful insecurities to be seen as something he never was nor ever will be is the giant monkey that has hung on this team for far too long.

If Jerry had just been happy that he hired Jimmy Johnson and empowered him to do the drafting, developing, coaching and roster moves that made those 90s Cowboys so dominant, we would have won at least two more Lombardis. Jerry got tons of credit (and deserved it) for hiring Jimmy and believing in him in the early days of JJs ownership when the Cowboys really struggled. But his pathological need to be the false centerpiece of this proud organization has given us fans the disappointment of the last 27 years.

The Cowboys may be good enough this year to make a deep playoff run. If so we will all be thrilled. But most fans also know if that happens it will be in spite of Jerry Jones not because of him.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Jerry is THE most insecure, neurotic billionaire I’ve ever seen. He has proven for three decades that he has never understood what it means to have shared success. His pitiful insecurities to be seen as something he never was nor ever will be is the giant monkey that has hung on this team for far too long.

If Jerry had just been happy that he hired Jimmy Johnson and empowered him to do the drafting, developing, coaching and roster moves that made those 90s Cowboys so dominant, we would have won at least two more Lombardis. Jerry got tons of credit (and deserved it) for hiring Jimmy and believing in him in the early days of JJs ownership when the Cowboys really struggled. But his pathological need to be the false centerpiece of this proud organization has given us fans the disappointment of the last 27 years.

The Cowboys may be good enough this year to make a deep playoff run. If so we will all be thrilled. But most fans also know if that happens it will be in spite of Jerry Jones not because of him.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post, Bob.

Per the book, Jimmy got several raises during his 5 year tenure and every time they redid the contract Jerry tried to change the language that gave Jimmy full control on personnel. He said this maniacal need for credit started even before the Super Bowls.

rags747

Reaction score
Same old same old, this has all been discussed 25 years ago. Jimmy must need the $$$!

offlimits

Reaction score
Do not rule that out.

I am the most popular fan on the most popular forum of the most popular team in all of sports.

That has to make me a big deal.

"Most popular team in all of sports"? You're a Manchester United supporter?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder when Jerry's book will come out to counter all what Jimmy claims. :lmao:

However the Jerry haters will say it is all a lie. How do we know Jimmy's book is not enhanced somewhat. :popcorn:

And I am not taking up for Jerry. He was a bozo about what happened.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TBF I remember that period and that incident very clearly. It was a Tale of Two Egos and Jimmy should share the blame. Neither would take the high road.

Exactly. But the Jerry / FO haters will never admit that.

Jimmy wanted out to take the upstart Jacksonville job, but when that happened, he wanted out to take the Dolphins job.
I lived in South Florida at the time. Jimmy wanted the Dolphins HC position, and made no secrets about that. But the Dolphins gave Shula a new 5 year contract. So Jimmy took the Dallas HC position.

And rumor was very strong after that contract by Shula, it as to be his last. Jimmy never planned to fulfill his 10 years contract in Dallas.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
You're a likes collector. You have no place in the Ring of Honor, but I am surprised that Jimmy would take the time to point it out in his book.

Seeing that many likes on my account would make me sorta sad.

Praxit

Reaction score
..you have to admit. Jerry was dumb and young. Probably thought winning super bowls was easy as pie.

You think now, he would take different precincts?