After this Mess of contract negotiation, will a team be willing to pay Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If he has a great year his price will go up. A great season will give him all the leverage. He has to look out for himself and his family and fans could care less about that. The NFL is a cutthroat business. QB salaries have skyrocketed and he wants to take advantage of it. It’s all going to come down to how he plays in 2020 and if his play equates to wins. A great year that leads to team success will make it a lot easier for the Cowboys to meet his demands. It’s not easy handing over the farm to a QB after an 8-8 season.
We did with Romo in 2013 after what 3 straight 8-8 seasons making him the highest paid QB in the league. Just saying...

Flamma

Reaction score
Every year the Bar for QB salaries increase. We really shouldn’t use them as a measure to other QB’s talent level .

I don’t recall this uproar when Romo became the highest paid QB in 2013. Who thought he deserved to be highest paid.

This is just the nature of beast in NFL QB contracts every year. Next year someone else will be over paid, etc,

I really can't comment on this because I was not into the salary cap and contracts at that time. So I can't give an opinion. But as much as Romo aggravated the hell out of me, I still think he was better than Prescott. And I never considered Romo elite. There are parts of Dak's game I like much better than Romo's, I just don't think overall he is better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
IMO it would not. It would price himself off of the team. The time to pay him has passed. You can't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he can do in the future. If the Cowboys can't keep their team, no reason to pay him. He'll play for someone else.

Success doesn’t price QBs off teams or the Chiefs wouldn’t have paid Mahomes. QBs are paid off their potential which is why a great 2020 season will force the Cowboys to meet Dak’s demands.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We did with Romo in 2013 after what 3 straight 8-8 seasons making him the highest paid QB in the league. Just saying...

We didn’t make Romo the highest paid QB in the league with that contract and QB salaries have skyrocketed since then. DLaw’s contract was more than we paid Romo in 2013.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really can't comment on this because I was not into the salary cap and contracts at that time. So I can't give an opinion. But as much as Romo aggravated the hell out of me, I still think he was better than Prescott. And I never considered Romo elite. There are parts of Dak's game I like much better than Romo's, I just don't think overall he is better.
How about Stafford in 2017. Ryan in 2018, Highest paid QB. The examples go on. Paying your franchise QB isn’t just about their talent level in the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
How about Stafford in 2017. Ryan in 2018, Highest paid QB. The examples go on. Paying your franchise QB isn’t just about their talent level in the league.

How did that work out? They win anything yet?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Flamma

Reaction score
Success doesn’t price QBs off teams or the Chiefs wouldn’t have paid Mahomes. QBs are paid off their potential which is why a great 2020 season will force the Cowboys to meet Dak’s demands.

Mahomes signed a 10 year contract extension that is spread out over 12 years. Dak wants a 4 year contract that cripples the team's cap. Two totally different situations.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo’s contract in 2013 made him the highest paid Qb in the league surpassing Flacco’s deal.

The highest paid QB doesn’t always represent the best QB.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tony-romo-signs-108m-contract-with-dallas-cowboys-0ap1000000155364

Romo’s guaranteed money surpassed Flacco but the total contract didn’t. Flacco’s contract was 120.6 million over six years. Everyone knows the highest paid QB doesn’t represent the best QB, however it does now with the Mahomes deal.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo was never the highest paid Qb in the league and his contract actually gave plenty of cap space. He was actually the highest paid QB in Cowboys.

And Garrett actually was the OC then and it was the negotiations in Romo’s contract that actually gave Romo power and started stripping play calling away from Garrett. For example, Romo was now allowed in the EARLY team meetings to help with the game plan, while with Garrett in complete control, he was basically just running the Garrett offense. That’s why Jones called it “Peyton-like responsibilities”... Romo carries the franchise in mediocrity, while Dak walked into a golden set-up and is carried by the OL, Zeke, Cooper or Smith. If one went out, call it a day because Dak has shown how mediocre he is, without any single one of them playing.

Romo in the offense with Linehan had them a competitor for the SB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo’s guaranteed money surpassed Flacco but the total contract didn’t. Flacco’s contract was 120.6 million over six years. Everyone knows the highest paid QB doesn’t represent the best QB, however it does now with the Mahomes deal.
Yea but one year or QB won’t set the tone for years to come. Mahomes is more of the exception than the rule.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mahomes signed a 10 year contract extension that is spread out over 12 years. Dak wants a 4 year contract that cripples the team's cap. Two totally different situations.

We don’t know all the exact details as to what Dak wants. What’s being reported isn’t always accurate. There are a lot of details that only the two sides negotiating know about.

Flamma

Reaction score
That’s not how QB are measured though .

If it was then no teams would resign their QB until they won a championship.

Bottom line, you extend a QB with the intent you can win a championship, right? Maybe some teams don't. As long as the QB brings them in money, who cares? It's a business, right? But to me it makes no sense to pay a QB to the point that you can't win a championship if that's your goal. I'm not saying you can't win with Dak. Just not with Dak at that price. The 49ers are a good example. They made it to the SB with a QB that doesn't blow anyone's hair back. But he's not taking up 20% of the cap.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yea but one year or QB won’t set the tone for years to come. Mahomes is more of the exception than the rule.

Bottom line if Dak has a great year all the chips will be on his side.

Flamma

Reaction score
We don’t know all the exact details as to what Dak wants. What’s being reported isn’t always accurate. There are a lot of details that only the two sides negotiating know about.

Dude I agree with this 100%. I'm just going by what I'm hearing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo was never the highest paid Qb in the league and his contract actually gave plenty of cap space. He was actually the highest paid QB in Cowboys.

And Garrett actually was the OC then and it was the negotiations in Romo’s contract that actually gave Romo power and started stripping play calling away from Garrett. For example, Romo was now allowed in the EARLY team meetings to help with the game plan, while with Garrett in complete control, he was basically just running the Garrett offense. That’s why Jones called it “Peyton-like responsibilities”... Romo carries the franchise in mediocrity, while Dak walked into a golden set-up and is carried by the OL, Zeke, Cooper or Smith. If one then go out, call it a day.

Romo in the offense with Linehan had them a competitor for the SB.
Please provide some detail how paying Dak 37 million over 4 years instead of 35 over 5 years is going to handcuff the Cowboys managing the Cap.

And if the effects and impacts on the team competitive status would be impacted more or less without Dak after next year .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dude I agree with this 100%. I'm just going by what I'm hearing.

I don’t go by everything I hear. Too much miss information is reported. Some of these clowns act like they’re sitting in on the negotiations.