After this Mess of contract negotiation, will a team be willing to pay Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the offer from the Cowboys was 5 years $175 million with $110 million guaranteed them by not signing Prescott is clearly more concerned with being paid as much as he can than being paid well and playing on one of the most QB friendly offenses in the league. Do not forgot the state tax benefits.

Wentz is an All Pro QB and he has a ring. Goff is a multiple pro bowl QB and he reached a SB. Both were high first round picks. All facts no opinion. A year back they signed for $32-33 million a season with similar guaranteed money to Prescott. The Mahomes contract is basically irrelevant to Prescott given the way it was structured.

Covid-19 will impact upon revenue and as a result likely the salary cap for a few years.

Even if Prescott can get $37-$38 million a season is it really worth it for him? It just seems a strange decision unless his priority is money as there's little reason to believe the Cowboys front office will budge from their current offer in relation to the salary cap given their stance over the past two years.

A lot of players would do the same but my point is given the above I do not really see how or why people would think that money isn't the priority for Prescott. Which is a concern as a Cowboys fan having a QB playing on the tag with his legs being his best weapon. I can see a lot of business decisions throughout the season.
The Cap setback is potentially only one year. The NFLPA new bargaining agreement is in 2021 which has never decreased . And by 2023 the Cap is expected to increase significantly adding a 17th game.

Your argument stems from not being sold on Dak which is understandable but that’s not the Cowboys position.

From every indication we have heard from our ownership they are All In and totally sold Dak is their guy.

Flamma

Reaction score
We’ve been resigning arguably all of our other impact players like Lawrence, Cooper, Elliott and OL. But we’ve drawn the line in the sand with our QB.

Dallas missed the boat after the 2018 season to sign him. Now it's harder. They apparently agreed to a prove it year. I can prove you can't afford to pay me year. Now tell me why you're comparing Dak to the elite players on our team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What are the consequences for over paying a QB? Over paying is one thing, but the most important concern is the percentage of the cap hit. Regardless of what percentage that is, at some point it starts to matter. If you lose too many impact players then what difference does your franchise QB make? Wait for him to retire to rebuild? Rinse and repeat?
Agreed but we just signed our other impact players for I think about 4 years.

The impact of not having a franchise QB after next year could potentially waste those investments while we pursue and or develop another franchise QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas missed the boat after the 2018 season to sign him. Now it's harder. They apparently agreed to a prove it year. I can prove you can't afford to pay me year. Now tell me why you're comparing Dak to the elite players on our team?
Do you think our organization is comparing Dak to them? It doesn’t matter what you or I think.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed but we just signed our other impact players for I think about 4 years.

The impact of not having a franchise QB after next year could potentially waste those investments while we pursue and or develop another franchise QB.

The best chance at winning a championship is with a QB under a rookie deal. Paying a slightly above average QB top dollar is not one of those ways. Dak right now is around 15% of the cap so we should be happy we have the team we have right now. That can't be sustained. Right now, and after this season I think we're better off drafting a replacement and keeping the team afloat. Is Dak really that much better? I don't see it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The best chance at winning a championship is with a QB under a rookie deal. Paying a slightly above average QB top dollar is not one of those ways. Dak right now is around 15% of the cap so we should be happy we have the team we have right now. That can't be sustained. Right now, and after this season I think we're better off drafting a replacement and keeping the team afloat. Is Dak really that much better? I don't see it.
Do you think our organization views Dak as slightly above average?

This appears to be a stark difference in contrast from a segment of fans and our front office.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There would be several teams lining up to pay Dak. Look at the contracts that are being handed out to QBs. Mahomes just signed richest deal in sports history. Anyone who thinks there isn’t a team that would pay Dak better think again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If they thought that he wouldn’t be here. The team isn’t going to pay just over $31 million for one season to a slightly above average player. They would go with Andy Dalton. Dak’s stats and winning percentage don’t point to a slightly above average player.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would love to face a dak led team..easy win.

He’s had three winning seasons in four years and has never had a losing season. He has wins over Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and a playoff win over Russell Wilson. His QB record is 40-24 which makes your comment look real stupid.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes and if we intend on resigning him to another contract when do you believe would be the best time to sign for less? This year or next year.

In my personal opinion, he's priced himself out of Dallas after that window was closed. Do you think he's going to want less money or more years next year? I don't think he particular cares about the cap. I don't blame him. He cares about himself. But as a fan I care about the cap, and so should the team's GM. If we let him take up 20% of the cap we're not winning anything.

Flamma

Reaction score

This appears to be a stark difference in contrast from a segment of fans and our front office.

Put it this way, I think our front office has a high opinion of him. But at the same time they don't think he's Aaron Rodgers either. Wanting to be paid like him is probably what got us into this situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In my personal opinion, he's priced himself out of Dallas after that window was closed. Do you think he's going to want less money or more years next year? I don't think he particular cares about the cap. I don't blame him. He cares about himself. But as a fan I care about the cap, and so should the team's GM. If we let him take up 20% of the cap we're not winning anything.
Those are all risk that must be taken on either side. I’m just not sure this is the position I draw my line in the sand if we feel he’s close to being enough which apparently our organization has. But my argument hadn’t really been based on how I feel.

I’m not really as interested in what you or I think as critiquing what those with the power to make the decisions think. And the effects and impacts as a result on those decisions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If he has a great year his price will go up. A great season will give him all the leverage. He has to look out for himself and his family and fans could care less about that. The NFL is a cutthroat business. QB salaries have skyrocketed and he wants to take advantage of it. It’s all going to come down to how he plays in 2020 and if his play equates to wins. A great year that leads to team success will make it a lot easier for the Cowboys to meet his demands. It’s not easy handing over the farm to a QB after an 8-8 season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Put it this way, I think our front office has a high opinion of him. But at the same time they don't think he's Aaron Rodgers either. Wanting to be paid like him is probably what got us into this situation.
Every year the Bar for QB salaries increase. We really shouldn’t use them as a measure to other QB’s talent level .

I don’t recall this uproar when Romo became the highest paid QB in 2013. Who thought he deserved to be highest paid.

This is just the nature of beast in NFL QB contracts every year. Next year someone else will be over paid, etc,

Flamma

Reaction score
If he has a great year his price will go up. A great season will give him all the leverage. He has to look out for himself and his family and fans could care less about that. The NFL is a cutthroat business. QB salaries have skyrocketed and he wants to take advantage of it. It’s all going to come down to how he plays in 2020 and if his play equates to wins. A great year that leads to team success will make it a lot easier for the Cowboys to meet his demands. It’s not easy handing over the farm to a QB after an 8-8 season.

IMO it would not. It would price himself off of the team. The time to pay him has passed. You can't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he can do in the future. If the Cowboys can't keep their team, no reason to pay him. He'll play for someone else.