After this Mess of contract negotiation, will a team be willing to pay Dak?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But there are many defending him getting tough on these negotiations. When he hadn’t been tough on others.

And standing pat is one issue if your not totally sold on a guy. But the bigger issue is where does this leave the Cowboys now moving forward.

And why I’m following the que of local beat writers I’ve followed for decades. Which is bashing those responsible for these decisions which are directly accountable for Cowboys football . That’s what I am and will always be about.

Its like you are talking to some other person. Maybe get posters mixed up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm relaxed about it because in my view Prescott will not be difficult to replace. You disagree - fair enough.
Not at all . I’ve been a critic of Daks. My presentation is not about support of Dak.

My agenda is holding our Mgmt accountable for Cowboys Football.

And if they believed Dak was our guy and future to build around they just cut their nose off spite their face.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Right . No worries.

How many years with this core talent will we waste rebuilding with another QB. All so we can brag how we saved 3 or 4 million a year.

We’ve picked an awkwardly position to get cheap. Brilliant
I agree with that in certain ways. Very much see your point...but I'm not sure how close we are on defense.

Also, it's not as if Prescott wont be here for at least the next two years. Why cant we win then under that logic?

His plan is the Cousins route....because the cap is going to go up so much teams are gonna be lining up to pay a QB who cant get you out of the division round.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its like you are talking to some other person. Maybe get posters mixed up.
Now you’re beginning to get me. I am speaking to everyone. Your post might spark my response but I’m not just speaking to you . I need a much larger platform. But this will have to due for now. Ha

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Now you’re beginning to get me. I am speaking to everyone. Your post might spark my response but I’m not just speaking to you . I need a much larger platform. But this will have to due for now. Ha

I tried. By bad.

Swagger

Reaction score
Not at all . I’ve been a critic of Daks. My presentation is not about support of Dak.

My agenda is holding our Mgmt accountable for Cowboys Football.

And if they believed Dak was our guy and future to build around they just cut their nose off spite their face.

They didn't want to agree to Dak's terms. If what is reported to have been offered actually true then for me they offered a good deal. Market value for Prescott. If anything I think the offer was more than what he's actually worth. Where do you draw the line?

If Wentz wanted $40 million then I doubt the Eagles would have paid it.

Dak seems to overate himself compared with his counterparts and the front office didn't want to overpay by that much.

Swagger

Reaction score
Haha

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
They should’ve made Dak more available this offseason and let the open market decide his deal.

I think he might’ve been surprised by the lack of bidders and dollar amounts.

The cowboys totally botched this whole situation. They Exclusive franchise dak out of fear another team would overpay for him, but yet are unwilling to overpay themselves. When wentz and goeff were getting paid (and fans were saying wentz was overpaid at the time, now it looks like a team friendly deal) they should of paid dak. I think Dak would of taken 33mil a year because it would of been better than both goeff and wentz at that time. But the cowboys wanted to wait to see what they had, and in doing so the price tag rose. I thought he was going to get between $37-$38 million a year because the average price of the franchise tag for the next 3 years would be $41million a year (and in 3 years it would look like a team friendly deal). Then mahomes signs monster deal. Price tag rises. They only offer $35 million? The price keeps rising. Next year he's gonna ask for $40 million a year or he will play on the franchise tag for $37 million. If they don't franchise him, he will get paid in free agency. All this might have been avoided if the just franchised him(not exclusive) and matched whatever offer that came in, or take the 2 first round picks when he signs elsewhere. Imagine having 3 first round picks going into the trevor lawrence draft (imagine no football this year and the bengals keep the #1 overall pick). I don't know if it would be enough to go up and get him, but they would have been in a great position to make a move. I guess on the plus side if dak does move on, they might get a 3rd round comp pick.

Adreme

Reaction score
A LOT of teams are going to be getting on the QB ride in the next 2 years. Teams right now looking to upgrade are obviously Jags and Bears and Raiders. After that you have the Saints and Colts who are probably are going to be looking for a new QB after this season (Saints might ride with Hill for a year to get their cap in order). Then you have the Bucs and maybe even Steelers who both could very likely be moving on from retiring legends. Lastly you have the teams that will be looking to replace their bad QB whose rookie contract is expiring in Browns, Jets, and possibly Bills. Then there is the wildcard of if either the Giants or Washington TBD's feel strongly enough that they messed up their 1st round pick to dump them after 3 years.

Basically there is no shortage of teams that are going to want and need a new QB. A lot of those teams probably see themselves as a QB away from contending. He absolutely will get paid by one of them as QBs on Dak's level rarely go on the market (and I cannot remember the last time one did in their prime without major injury concerns).

NotForLong

Reaction score
What amazes me about this we are so consumed about what Dak will do but where does this leave the Cowboys in 2021?

We’ve put together a team that’s basically ready to contend now, brought in a legit HC and now after this year have basically pulled the rug right out from under it by not securing our franchise QB.

Where do we go from here? In the draft. How long will that take ? What if we whiff.

How many years does this set us back wasting all of the talent we’ve invested in all because we got tough on negotiations with our franchise QB. Unbelievable this is where we draw our line in the sand in contract negotiations.
We're good. . . chicken little

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If Jerry, who typically overpays for his own, wont give in to Prescotts demands, why would another team trade a significant draft pick for the privilege of being in the same bad spot?

That was my point yesterday. They blew any shot they had at getting anything for him by using the exclusive tag.
We don’t get squat for any player.

tm1119

Reaction score
Reading this thread confirmed what I already knew...the cowboys have the worst fans in sports

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They didn't want to agree to Dak's terms. If what is reported to have been offered actually true then for me they offered a good deal. Market value for Prescott. If anything I think the offer was more than what he's actually worth. Where do you draw the line?

If Wentz wanted $40 million then I doubt the Eagles would have paid it.

Dak seems to overate himself compared with his counterparts and the front office didn't want to overpay by that much.
I understand and if that’s where they draw the line in the sand I respect that. But my issue is calling out what the effects could be on Cowboys Football holding those responsible for the decisions accountable .

The Cowboys had been presenting they were “All In “ and “totally sold “ on Dak. We caved in on all the supporting cast, bringing in a legit HC appearing to be all set to make a deeper run these next few years .

Now without their franchise QB secured it’s only natural to see what the effects will be moving forward to hold those accountable for the decisions which directly effect the results.

NotForLong

Reaction score
If you are going to turn this into another "jerry is the ONLY big problem in Dallas" conversations then I'm not interested.

Nobody likes Jerry Jones in Dallas and EVERYONE knows that he is the #1 problem here in Dallas.
I am not so sure about that . . . after today it looks as if he may be learning in his old age.

As soon as we signed 2 DTs and a Safety I knew this was gonna be a different team under NEW Management

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are witnessing the 1st Dak Slobberer Meltdown. . . right before our eyes
You probably haven’t followed me but I’ve been more of a Dak critic slamming the Slobberers.

My agenda is with our ownership and the effects this decision could have on Cowboys Football moving forward.