After Week 4's Game vs Giants, Cowboys have the worst separation group of WRs in the NFL

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The WR room outside of Lamb is awful. Cooks is washed. Tolbert is a bum.

Dak was having to throw dimes on Thursday just to complete 7-8 yard passes. I was like wow he’s having to be as accurate as I’ve ever seen just to barely beat the Giants. And I’m not a Dak guy.

This team is in trouble.
It's due to scheme, not the players. McCarthy isn't dressing things up to confuse the defense with motion and rubs. He's just putting out basic plays that defenses can read before the snap. It's just way to easy for the defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's nice to have discussions on this site.

What's not nice is blanket, black or white statements about our Cowboys.

Specifically, statements like "Dak doesn't go through progressions". I can see how people would say that if they don't watch the games, but it would seem silly to post here if you don't.

But for those who cling to the above statement, did you not watch the Giants game and see ON THE TELEVISION SCREEN the arrows put on the screen that followed where Dak was looking, that showed him looking right, then left and finally basically straight ahead before throwing the ball. If you didn't watch the game, there are plenty of places to watch the replays.

Not only that, but NO NFL quarterback that has been in the league any time at all doesn't go through progressions. Certainly, some or better than others, but if a quarterback doesn't do that, over the course of a season he'd have 25-30-35 ints (Jameis Winston, anyone?"). You can't just line up, stare at one receiver and complete passes a lot, it just won't work, defensive backs would lap that up like a cat with a bowl of cream.

Now, I've said for several years that Dak isn't "elite", has issues and needs to get better. Few here would argue that point, right? The "Dak is the best quarterback in the league/is top 3/has no faults" folk are few and far between.

No, we're not happy with Dak's play, especially in the playoffs. But the ridiculous statements like he doesn't go through progressions is patently false and easily seen to be not true. Criticize where due but please keep it in the bounds of reality, please! Would open up lots more discussion, which is all we can do...

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bro this seems to be the common issue every single week, I just don't get it!!! I see why, how much separation can you get when you run the same route practically all the time!???? Curl curl curl
It’s not uncommon with this offense to have every wideout running a stop route.

Just pathetic scheme from McCarthy. Sure, this group is not the greatest, but they certainly aren’t as bad as he is making them look.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
If the DBs already know the route can you blame the WR?

Same thing happened early last season, and it's happening again like the OC regressed. McCarthy needs to give Shotty the OC job because if he's installing the plays he should call them on gameday, imho.
Ewwww I forgot Shotty has the OC title.

From his Wiki Page, this all sounds too familiar:
On January 12, 2021, Schottenheimer was fired by the Seahawks following the Seahawks' Wild Card loss to the Los Angeles Rams due to "philosophical differences".[9] Despite a torrid start to the 2020 season which saw career highs for quarterback Russell Wilson in touchdowns and completion percentage, Seattle's offense struggled considerably during the final weeks, with Schottenheimer taking the brunt of the scrutiny due to lack of creativity in the offense and adjustments to the scheme. Regardless, the Seahawks set their franchise record for points scored in a season with 459.

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
Awww poor Daky-Poo, he's not playing with all-pros at every position anymore. I guess that's what you get for being a greedy bag chaser.

The funniest part is he could have waited and signed with a better team next year but instead he jumped on the old fool's offer. No one forced him to stay in Dallas with an organization that's going nowhere, he simply doesn't care about winning.

Playing with scrub WRs is not a problem for him, the fact his team will keep losing players and depth every year because his disgusting contract is eating all the cap is not a problem for him, the incompetent owner is not a problem for him. He's filthy rich, that's all that matters.

He knew what he was signing up for, he's no victim.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Separation?

Aikman would hit Irvin between the 8's with two DB's draped around him.
This is an interesting side bar to the thread topic. Back in the day, the Cowboys ran a timing based offense. Irvin would make a cut and Aikman would be throwing simultaneously. They never ran curl or stop routes. They were either in or out routes with Irvin and Aikman reading the defense and hopefully being on the same page. By having that simultaneous cut and throw, Irvin got that yard or two of separation that was more than enough for Aikman to hit.

With the current system, there seems to be no time element to it whatsoever. Receivers stop or curl and then wait. Dak is just going through his progressions, frequently getting to his 3rd option and he has no choice to throw it frequently to a guy who is standing still and has a defender draped all over him. That's what I see going on and its why the separation number is so low.

I'll also add this, on the slant routes, defenders are jumping it. They seem to know based on formation or something what the receiver is going to do so they jump into it.

There is something fundamentally broken with the passing game right now. As I said above, I'm no Dak fan but I think he has been dealt a pretty bad hand by coaching this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Awww poor Daky-Poo, he's not playing with all-pros at every position anymore. I guess that's what you get for being a greedy bag chaser.

The funniest part is he could have waited and signed with a better team next year but instead he jumped on the old fool's offer. No one forced him to stay in Dallas with an organization that's going nowhere, he simply doesn't care about winning.

Playing with scrub WRs is not a problem for him, the fact his team will keep losing players and depth every year because his disgusting contract is eating all the cap is not a problem for him, the incompetent owner is not a problem for him. He's filthy rich, that's all that matters.

He knew what he was signing up for, he's no victim.
Aww, are you going to be ok? Sounds like you're having a major emotional breakdown.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If the DBs already know the route can you blame the WR?

Same thing happened early last season, and it's happening again like the OC regressed. McCarthy needs to give Shotty the OC job because if he's installing the plays he should call them on gameday, imho.
Agree.

Big Mike should not be calling plays.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This is an interesting side bar to the thread topic. Back in the day, the Cowboys ran a timing based offense. Irvin would make a cut and Aikman would be throwing simultaneously. They never ran curl or stop routes. They were either in or out routes with Irvin and Aikman reading the defense and hopefully being on the same page. By having that simultaneous cut and throw, Irvin got that yard or two of separation that was more than enough for Aikman to hit.

With the current system, there seems to be no time element to it whatsoever. Receivers stop or curl and then wait. Dak is just going through his progressions, frequently getting to his 3rd option and he has no choice to throw it frequently to a guy who is standing still and has a defender draped all over him. That's what I see going on and its why the separation number is so low.

I'll also add this, on the slant routes, defenders are jumping it. They seem to know based on formation or something what the receiver is going to do so they jump into it.

There is something fundamentally broken with the passing game right now. As I said above, I'm no Dak fan but I think he has been dealt a pretty bad hand by coaching this year.
Everyone knows what we are doing.

Our offense is basic.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I called our WR corp bottom 5 in the NFL last August before the 2023 season and took tons of crap about it....a couple people here actually tried to tell me that with the acquisition of Cooks we were top 5....that statement was laughable then, and even more laughable now. Lamb is a flake and is not consistent enough game to game to be considered a TRUE #1....we actually do not have a TRUE #1, #2, or #3.
CD gets doubled.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score

Yep, timing, anticipation and precision was the goal.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak/darts
Oxymoron of the century :thumbup:
Seriously move the lad around buy time for separation.
Defenses play us tight not a lot of room for separation.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This is the same complaint that has spanned 2 different head coaches, 3 different coordinators, and several wide receivers now.

It was a complaint when Dez was here

It was a complaint when Amari was here

Its a complaint that Ceedee is here.

Maybe, just maybe the offense is being called/molded for the strengths of this QB
I was about to say the same thing. Does Dak prefer throwing stop routes? We have been having this discussion about stop routes for more than a few seasons now. Kellen got a lot of the blame for that but here we are again...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What a stupid post.

Nobody has said, or even implied, that the defensive issues are Dak's fault. Many just haven't allowed it to be used as cover for the obvious issues we have on the offensive side of the ball

Dak, the offense, the defense, pretty much everyone but the kicker has serious issues and they are all responsible for their own issues and for overcoming them

It would be cool if hardcore Stans could admit this instead of constantly backing the bus over everyone in sight in an effort to keep Dak above any blame
Stupid!? really.
since you called me a stan (which I am not), but there are a few of your Dak Hating Brothers, part of your cult that actually did blame the defensive woes on Dak. so then there is that.

and I agree, right now, offense, defense both suck. Aubrey is the best player we got. folowed by Angerer.

it would be cool if hardcore haters like yourself would get together during your weekly cult meeting and decide is the defensive woes Dak's fault or not, because you all are all over the place.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Stupid!? really.
since you called me a stan (which I am not), but there are a few of your Dak Hating Brothers, part of your cult that actually did blame the defensive woes on Dak. so then there is that.

and I agree, right now, offense, defense both suck. Aubrey is the best player we got. folowed by Angerer.

it would be cool if hardcore haters like yourself would get together during your weekly cult meeting and decide is the defensive woes Dak's fault or not, because you all are all over the place.
Yeah, Dak's detractors are the cult.

Lol

Ps, I never called you a stan. But I will say if that general description irritated you that badly then perhaps it hit a little bit closer to home than you'd care to admit