Agent: Can the Cowboys afford not to give Dak a record-breaking extension

conner01

Reaction score
No it wouldn't but make no mistake I don't think Dak is a 90 yard a game guy in the playoffs. He's shown it time and time again he's not. HE struggled against San Fran and now the Packers. That's 3 games.

His play in recent playoff games isn't not hard to replace. Rush could probably do it.

But the guy did just get 2nd team All Pro. We devalue Pro Bowls...but you can't devalue All Pro. It means he was the 2nd best QB in the league. Now I have to add this because when I bring this up as context I have to clarify its just that and not hyping him up. The guy just quarterbacked you to 12 wins. And no, that's not the goal. But it does mean something. You had home field for the first two rounds. That's all you ask for. Well I mean that or getting home field throughout.

So yes it can get worse. And like I said, you shouldn't be afraid of it getting worse. Especially when you just lost in the wild card. but make no mistake it could get worse. Especially when the guy is Jerry Jones and he's the head of the snake that wanted Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook over Dak. No matter how you feel about Dak....he's simply better than those guys.
The biggest issue to me with moving on from Dak is how? How do you find the 20 mil we are over the cap already? I’m all for making the moves that improve the team. And that may mean a change at QB but it’s not as simple as trading or cutting him. I means you have to make several other moves to fix cap and trading away micah and lamb doesn’t get you all that much cap space

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Just pay him his last year and let him walk.

I don't care who we lose in the process.

The bum has to go or you're going to be in the exact situation 4 years from now doing it all over again.
Stop calling him a bum man, he's just a player getting the most out of it, like they all do, and you and I also would.

With that being said, yeah, why can't we just let his contract expire? Give Lance a couple of tries and just go into some sort of "orientation period". Draft QBs and complete the o line. Trade as much guys as you need to get some picks and stay within the SC. Get a coach who's making discipline priority no 1 and can work with QBs.

Start a soft rebuilding process so to speak, just don't do nothing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The biggest issue to me with moving on from Dak is how? How do you find the 20 mil we are over the cap already? I’m all for making the moves that improve the team. And that may mean a change at QB but it’s not as simple as trading or cutting him. I means you have to make several other moves to fix cap and trading away micah and lamb doesn’t get you all that much cap space
Packers just moved on from Aaron Rodgers and beat Dallas at home lol.

Stop acting like replacing Dak is some difficult thing to do. That’s a myth.

And I’m all for bringing Dak back but you better have Belichick walking through that door if you do.

If not let’s team build and dump that atrocious salary.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ok. Promise not to complain when we are starting the next Quincy Carter in five years and finishing 7-10?

At least you can say we tried.
Man, what a miserable experience that was. :facepalm: We went through several QBs along with Carter. Then we ended up with old man Vinny, followed by Bledsoe. No way would I want to risk ending up going through that again. The fans that are miserable now, don’t even know what real misery is as fan, having to go through losing seasons, one right after another trying to find a viable QB.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
That's why I think it's so important to get a real coach in here ASAP. If you say this group of playoff bums can win 12 games, and assume the Giants and No-Names stay bad and the Eagles lose a step...Bill can dominate this division. And then it's a matter of can he get this team to actually get up for a playoff game. It's a one-year window IF there is still a window. Bring McCarthy back and you lose next season, and who knows after that.

JustChip

Reaction score
Then you run the risk of being out of the playoff race with several games left in the season. If you don’t think that would be any worse than what we’re experiencing now then you’ve never been through it as a fan. Nothing more depressing than watching your team play out a season with nothing to play for but a high draft pick with several games left. If you think fans are moaning and groaning now, this is nothing compared to watching your team struggle through a regular season with no hope for the playoffs.
Correct. I’ll take 12-5 three years in a row with the hope or possibility this year may be the year vs. a 1-15 season, or three straight 5-11 seasons. Those were hopeless seasons.

There are those that say there were ok with 1989 because they new what the future would bring. I suspect that’s more revisionist history than anything. That certainly wasn’t the majority and probably not many ticket holders who were obligated to pay for that misery.

conner01

Reaction score
That's why I think it's so important to get a real coach in here ASAP. If you say this group of playoff bums can win 12 games, and assume the Giants and No-Names stay bad and the Eagles lose a step...Bill can dominate this division. And then it's a matter of can he get this team to actually get up for a playoff game. It's a one-year window IF there is still a window. Bring McCarthy back and you lose next season, and who knows after that.
I think bill could be huge in the short term. Obviously at his age he’s not a long term answer but your roster in the nfl isn’t long term. We have to either rebuild completely which has huge cap implications. Or move a few pieces and add some talent with a new coach who can get the most out of the talent we have. We have a competitive amount of talent but we aren’t getting the most out of them

conner01

Reaction score
Packers just moved on from Aaron Rodgers and beat Dallas at home lol.

Stop acting like replacing Dak is some difficult thing to do. That’s a myth.

And I’m all for bringing Dak back but you better have Belichick walking through that door if you do.

If not let’s team build and dump that atrocious salary.
Not the same situation. Show me a plan to move on from Dak, get the 20 mil we are over the cap and enough to do anything in FA? If you have a plan I’d love to see it but I don’t see how you do it

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not the same situation. Show me a plan to move on from Dak, get the 20 mil we are over the cap and enough to do anything in FA? If you have a plan I’d love to see it but I don’t see how you do it
I’m for keeping Dak.

In fact I’d bring him back as long as Belichick is coming with him.

That’s the smartest thing they could do imo.

The 1 thing I’m not doing is running it back with the same roster and same coach.

Ken

Reaction score
It is so weird how so many just flippantly throw Dak in the garbage. Whenever i see it, I look at the person who said it and remember it so i know i am dealing with a casual football fan the next time I interact.

It is honestly so moronic that it makes my head hurt.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Ok. Promise not to complain when we are starting the next Quincy Carter in five years and finishing 7-10?

At least you can say we tried.
We both know that this article is basically proclaiming a solution of kicking the can down the road. We both know it.
So, at some point, when that huge cap hit comes, the team is going to be in trouble for a few years.
it can either be the next 3-4 years, or in 6-9 years from now, or whenever, but it's going to happen.

So, using your own words, if we extend Dak and then 6 years from now when we finally come to terms from that crippling cap hit, and we're awful, promise not to complain.
perhaps you can lean back on those embarrassing 1st round playoff exits for solace. LOL

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It is so weird how so many just flippantly throw Dak in the garbage. Whenever i see it, I look at the person who said it and remember it so i know i am dealing with a casual football fan the next time I interact.

It is honestly so moronic that it makes my head hurt.
Yes, *90%* of the fans on this forum as "casual" football fans by your definition.

Talk about moronic.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Correct. I’ll take 12-5 three years in a row with the hope or possibility this year may be the year vs. a 1-15 season, or three straight 5-11 seasons. Those were hopeless seasons.

There are those that say there were ok with 1989 because they new what the future would bring. I suspect that’s more revisionist history than anything. That certainly wasn’t the majority and probably not many ticket holders who were obligated to pay for that misery.
At least by making the playoffs consistently there’s hope we can figure out why things go so wrong in the playoffs. A few adjustments might change things, but changing the QB who’s played exceptional during the regular season could lead to disaster and years of futility.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No it wouldn't but make no mistake I don't think Dak is a 90 yard a game guy in the playoffs. He's shown it time and time again he's not. HE struggled against San Fran and now the Packers. That's 3 games.

His play in recent playoff games isn't not hard to replace. Rush could probably do it.

But the guy did just get 2nd team All Pro. We devalue Pro Bowls...but you can't devalue All Pro. It means he was the 2nd best QB in the league. Now I have to add this because when I bring this up as context I have to clarify its just that and not hyping him up. The guy just quarterbacked you to 12 wins. And no, that's not the goal. But it does mean something. You had home field for the first two rounds. That's all you ask for. Well I mean that or getting home field throughout.

So yes it can get worse. And like I said, you shouldn't be afraid of it getting worse. Especially when you just lost in the wild card. but make no mistake it could get worse. Especially when the guy is Jerry Jones and he's the head of the snake that wanted Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook over Dak. No matter how you feel about Dak....he's simply better than those guys.
I agree Dak is better than Lynch or Cook.

and again, not 5 years ago Carson Wentz was 2nd team all pro as well. Just to add a little bit of perspective to that discussion.
enjoy the discussion sir. Hope you have a good night.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m for keeping Dak.

In fact I’d bring him back as long as Belichick is coming with him.

That’s the smartest thing they could do imo.

The 1 thing I’m not doing is running it back with the same roster and same coach.
That I agree with. I don’t think we can move on from Dak but I’d look at what I could get for one of our guys about to hit FA after next year. I’d consider trading a guy and getting a pick much higher up

HungryLion

Reaction score
I agree Dak is better than Lynch or Cook.

and again, not 5 years ago Carson Wentz was 2nd team all pro as well. Just to add a little bit of perspective to that discussion.
enjoy the discussion sir. Hope you have a good night.
its Hard to argue he is better than Goff at this point. Goff has had his ups and downs but has also had some good success in the league.

dckid

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

Easy to get rid fo him, Cut him June 1st, take a 24 million dollar cap hit gain 34 million in cap space this year.
Next year take another 24 million cap hit and gain 11 in cap space

Easy peasy... do it now. Find an alternative. All of these guys are FA's
Minshew, Tyrod, Baker, Huntley, Brisett, Tannehill, Cousins, Darnold

If the team opens its eyes, they can get a stop gap just like Dak is at a much cheaper price. We need a real QB either way.

Kwyn

Reaction score
We both know that this article is basically proclaiming a solution of kicking the can down the road. We both know it.
So, at some point, when that huge cap hit comes, the team is going to be in trouble for a few years.
it can either be the next 3-4 years, or in 6-9 years from now, or whenever, but it's going to happen.

So, using your own words, if we extend Dak and then 6 years from now when we finally come to terms from that crippling cap hit, and we're awful, promise not to complain.
perhaps you can lean back on those embarrassing 1st round playoff exits for solace. LOL
I would be fine. I was fine after Aikman.

We have some Zonr posted calling for blood that *always* call for blood. If we blow it up and the results are the most likely outcome of most nuke and build (ongoing failure making 12-5 look like the glory days), those same posters will call for blood again.

If Jerry sold the team and we rebuilt from scratch those *same* posters would be howling for the blood of the new owner and the new coach and the new QB.

That’s a simple fact of the Zone. For every crazy “bootlicking homer” there are an equal (or greater) number of “haters” who will never be happy until another dynasty is not only possible but in the books.

Then they can start howling again.

I’m a pragmatist. I can go for a full rebuild but I dread the inevitable “sameness” that we will continue to see as we try to scrape through the muck and the grime of multiple 6 win seasons.

Again, I’ll be fine either way because I’m a fan when we win and when we lose. I guess I’m blessed.