Twitter: Aikman: "Dak is one of the best young players that I've been around"

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think your guessing on things and every comments you're changing what you said the time before. It started with contracts and now it's medical records and coaches. Next you'll say that they watched different TV shows. All you're doing is guessing on what Aikman meant when he made some comments. What I've said is Aikman wasn't making any comments when Jones was giving him big bucks and was the owner and GM.

Listen dude I gave my opinion based on some of Aikman’s comments. I haven’t changed anything the contract talk started with you. If you’re just looking to start an argument go find someone who has the time to waste.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Did you not see all the posts a couple of months ago after Troy called out Jerry for being a meddlesome owner?

“ … just because he’s been real stubborn and steadfast in that he’s the one in charge. I think in a lot of ways, until that changes, this team’s going to have some problems.”
Does that sound like someone kissing up to Jerry?

I think you might be kissing up to the bong if that’s your read on this.
Aikmans already contradicted himself about Daks accuracy its very possible he has an ulterior motive within the organization. Jerry has been a problem and I dont think one person wouldnt admit that. Smoking is no good, dont ever be afraid of a smoker they will run outta breath in a fight.

cowboyed

Reaction score
When Aikman stated that you can't improve accuracy he was bitten by the absolutist thinking bug. The best of the best quarterbacks in football are great performers but not necessarily great coaches or trainers.

leeblair

Reaction score
I'm just a man sitting on the forum pondering whether or not I should be listening to Troy one of the greatest players to have ever played the game or some forum personalities such as @CowboyRoy who claims Dak has heavy feet, or maybe I should listen to @PAPPYDOG whom says that Dak won't learn how to throw accurately until his 40th birthday! :huh::laugh:

I'll take the moderately safe Choice and side with Troy..
Let me help you with this:
I am a huge fan of Troy Aikman.
However, Troy was subpar in the years after the core built by Jimmy Johnson disappeared- throwing interceptions that made no sense.
He is, in my opinion, the best to ever play the game. But he is not the expert on talent.
Dak is an outstanding athlete- no one denies this. But Dak has issues with his inability to be a leader and choking under pressure.
Troy Aikman is basing his opinion of Dak on his experience covering the Cowboys as a commentator, not as a coach. And even Troy questioned Dak's ability as he apathetically watched the Cowboys season go down the tube last year instead of carrying the offense to a higher level of play.
Dak IS NOT the franchise quarterback the Cowboys need.
He's a decent athlete- just like so many wannabes who get out and play touch football with their friends who never made it to the NFL.
BUT, his record against good teams is not a fluke. He is not able to focus under pressure.

basel90

Reaction score
Aikman made way too many critical comments of Dak during games . Persistently mentioning his inaccuracy. Look, Troy said Dak is one of the best young players he has been around , and that players love him ,and that the franchise tag won’t help etc. This is far from a big endorsement. He has a Tv job where he needs to be able to approach the QB and get info , interviews and locker room rapport with players . There is some politics involved here . Plus ,there is a lot of tension between Troy and Jerry that is going public . Remember the comment about jason not being the main problem at dallas .
At the end , what we are discussing here is whether we have a worthy QB that can win a Super Bowl for the cowboys . I have heard Troy and many hall of fame QBs describe Dak as inaccurate, mistake prone etc . Go back to the tape and comments about Dak during big losses against Tennesse , New England , the jets , Buffalo , Philadelphia etc etc . The man is just not good as 30 mil plus for a team In big need of so many weapons . Some mediocre quarterbacks get lucky and win a Super Bowls with a team filled with talent and a great defense . Remember hostetler , brad Johnson , Rypien ,Trent dilfer , Flaco , etc . These QBs were lucky to be on teams with a fabulous defense and supporting cast . This ain’t the case here with the cowboys yet . This is why the cowboys need a special QB , not a bus driver .

817Gill

Reaction score
I'd like to hear Aikman answer whether he thinks Dak has bucked his claim that you can't improve accuracy.
I’ll see if I can find a transcription, but in dang near all the games this year that’s he’s broadcasted he’s made reference to Prescott’s improvements in his accuracy. Credited him for his hard work and making the correct adjustments. I always felt like Troy meant if you have poor accuracy naturally, you won’t ever be able to have great accuracy. As that’s too far of a gap to bridge. But someone slightly below average can improve to slightly above average, as you can improve it incrementally just not a 180 degree change. We all know what Troy said in October of 2018 being critical of Dak’s accuracy. Here’s a quote from Aikman October 2019:

2019: “He has been overall accurate with the football and I’ve been impressed. A lot of those things don’t come naturally for some players. Throwing the ball accurately does not come naturally for them. For me, it always did. From the time I was real young when I would pick up any kind of ball I could throw it wherever I wanted to. But then there are others who we see and they can’t. The amount of time that Dak has put in is obvious. With his throwing motion, with his footwork, working on accuracy, studying opponents’ defenses, all of those things and that hard work has paid off.”

Kaiser

Reaction score
I always felt like Troy meant if you have poor accuracy naturally, you won’t ever be able to have great accuracy. As that’s too far of a gap to bridge.

Exactly, "Troy said Dak can't improve his accuracy" is an Internet meme, not something he actually said. In the clip that was posted here (followed by a 50 page thread), Jimmy said Troy had elite, HOF accuracy and then asked him if Dak could ever develop that level of ELITE accuracy.

Troy said no, that level is rare and only a few guys are born with it. Then he went on to praise Dak and say he is improving his game.

But of course CBZ being CBZ, that was spun into "Troy says Dak will never be accurate". But the clear gist of Troy's comments were that plenty of QBs win without elite accuracy and Dak could obviously be one of them. The issue isn't accuracy, its consistency. Dak would have a few inconsistent passes where he would miss badly and part of that was his footwork when he was pressured. In 2018 Dak was playing behind one of the worst OLs in football and that compounded the problem. But his protection and his consistency both clearly improved in 2019.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’ll be honest. I don’t think he’s the pure passer that let’s say Mahomes is but I think his accuracy is greatly exaggerated. He throws a few bad passes a game just like every other qb.

Morning Rocy, I don't know if it's exaggerated. I mean, in the NFL, Offenses are so complex now that it doesn't take a lot to turn a game. We talk about one or two plays a game that make the difference all the time. It really is just a couple of plays. You don't have to be inaccurate on half your plays. It only takes a couple of wide open throws and we so those seemingly every game. I don't see other QBs missing Wide Open WRs regularly. Does it happen? Yeah, it does but those guys, they aren't getting paid record deals etc. Dak is far from bad but he is inaccurate and it's a problem. He has to pay particular attention to details and missing time is not his friend IMO.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Reaction score
Aikman says the tag could have damaging effects to the Cowboys.

In what way...Dak playing on the tag will effect his overall performance?
How will anyone be able to tell the difference?

:rolleyes:

johneric8

Reaction score
Let me help you with this:
I am a huge fan of Troy Aikman.
However, Troy was subpar in the years after the core built by Jimmy Johnson disappeared- throwing interceptions that made no sense.
He is, in my opinion, the best to ever play the game. But he is not the expert on talent.
Dak is an outstanding athlete- no one denies this. But Dak has issues with his inability to be a leader and choking under pressure.
Troy Aikman is basing his opinion of Dak on his experience covering the Cowboys as a commentator, not as a coach. And even Troy questioned Dak's ability as he apathetically watched the Cowboys season go down the tube last year instead of carrying the offense to a higher level of play.
Dak IS NOT the franchise quarterback the Cowboys need.
He's a decent athlete- just like so many wannabes who get out and play touch football with their friends who never made it to the NFL.
BUT, his record against good teams is not a fluke. He is not able to focus under pressure.

It's weird how you don't take into account the some of the fabulous games he has had against great teams or high pressured games but only remember the ones that didn't work out... It's also equally puzzling that you put everything on Dak. Sometimes coaching and defense have to help as well.. Sure Dak will keep improving and someday prove you very wrong, but that is for another day.

johneric8

Reaction score
You must be new. The best part is you calling me out as a dak hater. Lol

I'm not new, but I do remember reading a post where you commented he had heavy feet.. It didn't seem very positive, but if you're a Dak fan
my apologies.

Redline360

Reaction score
When Dak doesnt play good Aikmans a hater
When Dak plays good Aikman loves him

Hes turning into just another TV media personality looking for followers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Morning Rocy, I don't know if it's exaggerated. I mean, in the NFL, Offenses are so complex now that it doesn't take a lot to turn a game. We talk about one or two plays a game that make the difference all the time. It really is just a couple of plays. You don't have to be inaccurate on half your plays. It only takes a couple of wide open throws and we so those seemingly every game. I don't see other QBs missing Wide Open WRs regularly. Does it happen? Yeah, it does but those guys, they aren't getting paid record deals etc. Dak is far from bad but he is inaccurate and it's a problem. He has to pay particular attention to details and missing time is not his friend IMO.
I saw Aaron Rodgers and Pat Mahomes both miss throws all season long. Pat Mahomes missed throws in the Super Bowl. You guys have this warped view because you see Dak every week. Look at these other guys. The best miss a couple of throws a game. He’s no more inaccurate than anyone else and if you have proof of it please do. But I’ve asked many people on this site to prove it and they can’t.