Twitter: Aikman: "Dak is one of the best young players that I've been around"

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Aikman has publicly said that he's been harder on the Cowboys during Cowboys games because he doesn't want people to say he's just a homer like Boomer Esiason was when he first retired from the bengals. Anyone who's disdained for Aikman because of how or what he says in a TV booth proves they actually know nothing about football What or how he says in the booth has zero to do with what his actual QB abilities were when he played.

I tried explaining that to fans when they first started complaining about Aikman’s criticism of the Cowboys during broadcasts. They want him to cheerlead for the team like Michael Irvin does during Cowboys preseason games. I laughed out loud at one fans comment that Aikman has turned his back on the organization after some critical comments he made about the Cowboys during a telecast. A couple of years ago fans on this board came down hard on Aikman for his praise of Carson Wentz. Fans haven’t been so put off over his critical comments about how Jerry runs the team. Aikman has been very outspoken lately on Twitter heavily criticizing Jerry. It has fans wanting Aikman as the GM. lol Fans have become so frustrated with the inconsistency of the team the past few seasons they’re more accepting of Aikman’s criticism of the team, especially the front office. Although they wanted him to be more critical of Garrett which wasn’t going to happen due to their friendship.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I tried explaining that to fans when they first started complaining about Aikman’s criticism of the Cowboys during broadcasts. They want him to cheerlead for the team like Michael Irvin does during Cowboys preseason games. I laughed out loud at one fans comment that Aikman has turned his back on the organization after some critical comments he made about the Cowboys during a telecast. A couple of years ago fans on this board came down hard on Aikman for his praise of Carson Wentz. Fans haven’t been so put off over his critical comments about how Jerry runs the team. Aikman has been very outspoken lately on Twitter heavily criticizing Jerry. It has fans wanting Aikman as the GM. lol Fans have become so frustrated with the inconsistency of the team the past few seasons they’re more accepting of Aikman’s criticism of the team, especially the front office. Although they wanted him to be more critical of Garrett which wasn’t going to happen due to their friendship.
Understood, but...

It doesn't mean Aikman has been 100% correct.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Understood, but...

It doesn't mean Aikman has been 100% correct.

He hasn’t been 100% correct but I think he’s been pretty spot on with his criticism of how Jerry runs the team. I’ve heard many others in the know who have said the very same thing.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He hasn’t been 100% correct but I think he’s been pretty spot on with his criticism of how Jerry runs the team. I’ve heard many others in the know who have said the very same thing.
Very true. Troy has the same criticisms of Jerry that we have, but I think even Troy has to be happy Jerry made a serious change for the better by getting rid of Garrett and Company and bringing in Mike McCarthy and letting him hire his own proven group of coaches?

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing troy says will influence Stephen who will either sign dak or tag him. No harm, no foul.
Wrong. Troy is a very powerful voice in influencing how fans view things. Stephen knows damn well that Dak has already heard what Troy has said. Damn straight he is influencing Stephens thinking.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

What I find amusing about Aikman's disapproval of how Jones runs his team since Jones gave Aikman the 2nd biggest contract for a QB. His was 2nd only to Brett Favre's contract and then I'm sure Aikman wasn't disapproving of that money. He was running things just fine then when Aikman was getting the big bucks. Now Aikman deserved that contract but I still think it's funny that when he was getting the big bucks it was all right but now Jones is running things wrong when Aikman isn't getting the money.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What I find amusing about Aikman's disapproval of how Jones runs his team since Jones gave Aikman the 2nd biggest contract for a QB. His was 2nd only to Brett Favre's contract and then I'm sure Aikman wasn't disapproving of that money. He was running things just fine then when Aikman was getting the big bucks. Now Aikman deserved that contract but I still think it's funny that when he was getting the big bucks it was all right but now Jones is running things wrong when Aikman isn't getting the money.

I don’t think Aikman has a problem with the contracts Jerry is handing out, he’s had a problem with him undermining his head coaches. That’s one of the big criticisms he’s had of Jerry. He’s given medical reports of players that contradict what Garrett had told the media. Garrett would say one thing and Jerry would say another. Things like that undermine a head coach. Jerry needs to stop giving medical reports or telling the media when a player is going to practice and who’s not going to be activated. Leave that up to the head coach.

cern

Reaction score
Wrong. Troy is a very powerful voice in influencing how fans view things. Stephen knows damn well that Dak has already heard what Troy has said. Damn straight he is influencing Stephens thinking.
Stephen has already made his intentions clear regarding Dak. And he did so long before troy decided to speak on the issue. The cowboys are not seeking troy's opinion. It's down to dollars and cents, length of contract, and guaranteed money. None of which have anything to do with troy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don’t think Aikman has a problem with the contracts Jerry is handing out, he’s had a problem with him undermining his head coaches. That’s one of the big criticisms he’s had of Jerry. He’s given medical reports of players that contradict what Garrett had told the media. Garrett would say one thing and Jerry would say another. Things like that undermine a head coach. Jerry needs to stop giving medical reports or telling the media when a player is going to practice and who’s not going to be activated. Leave that up to the head coach.

I think when Troy first started broadcasting he tried a little too hard to look objective by criticizing the team, which is understandable. His comments on Jerry were exactly what you said, it was "Jerry shut up and let your coaches coach".

Some of that is that Garrett is a personal friend and some of that is that he knows the chances of it ever happening are microscopic, so its an easy media analysis to offer.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stephen has already made his intentions clear regarding Dak. And he did so long before troy decided to speak on the issue. The cowboys are not seeking troy's opinion. It's down to dollars and cents, length of contract, and guaranteed money. None of which have anything to do with troy.
Of course they’re not seeking Troys opinion, but trust me they’ve heard these comments.

cern

Reaction score
Of course they’re not seeking Troys opinion, but trust me they’ve heard these comments.
Almost everyone who likes football has heard troy's comments. The only decision is whether to flush once or twice.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm just a man sitting on the forum pondering whether or not I should be listening to Troy one of the greatest players to have ever played the game or some forum personalities such as @CowboyRoy who claims Dak has heavy feet, or maybe I should listen to @PAPPYDOG whom says that Dak won't learn how to throw accurately until his 40th birthday! :huh::laugh:

I'll take the moderately safe Choice and side with Troy..
You must be new. The best part is you calling me out as a dak hater. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does Aikman, a Fox broadcaster, feel the need to keep commenting on all things Cowboys?

cern

Reaction score
Why does Aikman, a Fox broadcaster, feel the need to keep commenting on all things Cowboys?
I bet he loved hearing about romo's new deal. And Manning's potential deal. Troy needs to be relevant. But he's lacking personality.

InTheZone

Reaction score
feelings about the person is not the same as "is he the guy" for leading the offense

Maybe troy is suffering from memory loss, but too many games Aikman was beyond frustrated with Prescott's poor play. Hey great guy like Brandon Carr so pay him! lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cern gives them guns. No bullets but they die thinking they have a chance.

He's actually a good hunter and uses all of the animal, especially the terrified eyes. They're great in martinis.

His point was dead on. Why does Aikman feel the need to chime in on any team when he's supposed to be a non-biased broadcaster? I think he's off the reservation and he's been taking his shots and that's not his role.
I applaud Troy for having the balls to speak up about Dak’s situation knowing the Jones aren’t going to be happy about it. Doing the right thing is always tough. For many people it’s too tough. They cave, slink away. Troy’s not that type. Many here are.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I think your guessing on things and every comments you're changing what you said the time before. It started with contracts and now it's medical records and coaches. Next you'll say that they watched different TV shows. All you're doing is guessing on what Aikman meant when he made some comments. What I've said is Aikman wasn't making any comments when Jones was giving him big bucks and was the owner and GM.