Aikman is a better QB than Dak Prescott

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am growing tired of all these new Cowboy fans on the internet praising Dak and trying to discredit Aikman. Aikman is an absolute legend and watching him back in the day was an honor. I know some people here don’t like me and that’s fine but I think we can all agree that Aikman was a bonafide legend and had more guts than Dak ever had! Im old enough to remember the glory days of the Cowboys and I just want to see this team to return to their former glory. Call me a troll, I don’t care!!! I’ve even seen posts on here from people claiming Aikman wasn’t that good and he rode his team’s coattails. Aikman was a true Cowboy and one of my favorite Cowboys. They don’t make QBs like him anymore. Yeehaw!!
I'm a big fan of Dak, but I did think Aikman vs Dak was a question.

In terms of pure ability to throw the ball, Aikman might be the best ever. His precision was measured in inches, not feet or yards.

Hard to evaluate in relative terms as an overall QB because he has never had a Mike Irvin caliber WR.

If you had to bet it on 1 pass play, Aikman-Irvin were about as clutch as it gets.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Dak, but I did think Aikman vs Dak was a question.

In terms of pure ability to throw the ball, Aikman might be the best ever. His precision was measured in inches, not feet or yards.

Hard to evaluate in relative terms as an overall QB because he has never had a Mike Irvin caliber WR.

If you had to bet it on 1 pass play, Aikman-Irvin were about as clutch as it gets.
Not too tough when everyone is selling out to stop the run and you drop back on play action, freez the linebackers to a wide open Irvin all while the Oline leaves you completely untouched.

Quite different when your playing the niners with ONLY zeke as the RB and ONLY lamb to throw to. They are stopping the run with 4 lineman so they flood the passing lanes with the nickel and its 3rd and 8 instead of 3rd and 2 with Emmitt. Play action doenst work because no one respects the run game. Then you drop back and its pressure almost instantly.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I am growing tired of all these new Cowboy fans on the internet praising Dak and trying to discredit Aikman. Aikman is an absolute legend and watching him back in the day was an honor. I know some people here don’t like me and that’s fine but I think we can all agree that Aikman was a bonafide legend and had more guts than Dak ever had! Im old enough to remember the glory days of the Cowboys and I just want to see this team to return to their former glory. Call me a troll, I don’t care!!! I’ve even seen posts on here from people claiming Aikman wasn’t that good and he rode his team’s coattails. Aikman was a true Cowboy and one of my favorite Cowboys. They don’t make QBs like him anymore. Yeehaw!!
Dak can only dream of maybe being as good as Aikman. Aikman was one of the best post-season QB's in league history. He did not need to be a Marino type numbers man. Anyone who simply opens pro football reference dot com and looks at td passes and says Dak is better is a fool

tyke1doe

Reaction score
giphy.gif
:laugh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak can only dream of maybe being as good as Aikman. Aikman was one of the best post-season QB's in league history. He did not need to be a Marino type numbers man. Anyone who simply opens pro football reference dot com and looks at td passes and says Dak is better is a fool
Dak can only dream about having the team that Aikman had, no question about it.

And you are right on another thing. Aikman didnt have to put up marino type numbers. All he really had to do most of the time was hand the ball to Emmitt, and keep the defense honest. Defense and Emmitt took care of the rest.

Shane612

Reaction score
Aikman has nothing to do with Dak. Your hatred just has a way of making up things in your head.

Dak is a top 10 QB, nothing more, nothing less.
He's been top 10 for ever. Will he ever improve and move up a few spot?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Scar
Scarlett Johansson is much better looking than Whoopie Goldberg.

Oh, this is not post something hilariously obvious day?

My badder.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I did not know that this was an issue?
One QB has 3 SB Rings and is in the HOF.
The other has never never been to a NFCCG.
I would love to hear an opposing view?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Maybe we could just dust him off for the playoffs.

Troy's playoff statistics (average/game) were better than his career statistics. I remember always feeling very comfortable with #8 under center in the post season. Of course there was the O-Line, the RB, the receivers, and so on, and so on.
Nobody ever adds the qualifiers of the team mates they played with to Joe Montana though he enjoyed several legendary players on his team too.

Same thing with Emmitt.

Same thing with Irvin.

"The team around them" attempt to discredit has been applied to them all. At some point, someone has to be responsible for all those plays that got made. Yeah, the offensive line was awesome, but so were the 49ers. Even with those lines the skill players still had to be special to consistently make big plays to score the points that took advantage of the protections of the line.

Aikman at his best is top 10 all time that I've seen play. So is Irvin, and Emmitt is the GOAT.

Shane612

Reaction score
Yep, nothing like the best run game in the NFL, best Oline, the #1 all time yards leader at RB and the #1 defense in the NFL in your pocket. And a master motivator in Jimmy J.

Everyone in the playoffs was to do 1 thing and that was to stack the box and stop Emmitt Smith. So Aikman made a living throwing off play action to wide open receivers. That was until SF got a huge lead that one year.
It works both ways.
A good run game loosens up the passing game, and vice versa.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Isn’t he 50 something? I think you mean was but who doesn’t already know that? I wouldn’t even bother with someone arguing Dak is better than Aikman was. I’d just let them look like a fool for as long as they wanted to keep talking.

rags747

Reaction score
Thats because you dont understand team football. Let me ask you this................................

If Dak was surrounded by the team that Aikman had with Jimmy as the HC would the Cowboys get to the championship game in his career?
No, Aikman was Clutch. Aikman was a thoroughbred. Dak is what he is, try hard guy that has great leadership skills. No one in the entire Universe picks Dak over Aikman if they were coming out at the same time. Aikman was a Ferrari, Dak is Audi.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not too tough when everyone is selling out to stop the run and you drop back on play action, freez the linebackers to a wide open Irvin all while the Oline leaves you completely untouched.

Quite different when your playing the niners with ONLY zeke as the RB and ONLY lamb to throw to. They are stopping the run with 4 lineman so they flood the passing lanes with the nickel and its 3rd and 8 instead of 3rd and 2 with Emmitt. Play action doenst work because no one respects the run game. Then you drop back and its pressure almost instantly.
As I said, can't really compare. Different era, different offense, different supporting cast, etc.

In terms of pure skill throwing the ball it's obviously Aikman.

Aikman did have limitations. Not an ad-lib QB. He would have quit if he had moron Dez or the route running blunders by the 2022 WR group.