Twitter: Aikman savages Doug Gottlieb on Luck

Noclaf

Reaction score
I highly doubt Aikman would quit in his 7th year because of an ankle sprain. And I am sure he wouldnt do it two weeks before the season began.

Aikman is better than Luck.
See this is total bs, we have no clue what Luck truly has been though and how he feels today.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don’t really see why Troy is so triggered. Gottlieb isn’t saying Luck doesn’t have the right to retire. He’s just saying that this is a very 2019 thing that we’re witnessing.

He is insinuating much more than that, my friend.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I actually think Doug has a point too tho. Didn't Luck owe it to his employer to at least give them an idea in advance that he was thinking about retirement before 2 weeks til kick off? Aikman is right too.

When would be the right time?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
troy.0.gif

Jeez -- what's that, a giant caterpillar? 'Stash or no 'stash, he's got a point, though.

NFL QBs have a God-given right to quit! Think it says so in the Quarterback Bible!

Hadenough

Reaction score
I dont blame Luck for retiring. Its a shame such a talented QB has become so frustrated with injuries that he is folding his tent and moving on. I think in a year or two he will un retire and then we will have threads on this board about should we get rid of Dak for Andrew Luck.

nobody

Reaction score
No that's not dramatic. When a guy says he's retiring and he's followed by BOOS? You do that to scum. Luck has been nothing but a professional there.

I'm not even a Luck fan. I usually wouldn't even comment on these affairs of another team but it really disturbs me the way fans have treated him in the past 24 hours. Football already walks a thin line when it comes to common decency. I thought there was a certain unwritten code though. A code among fans and players that you will not be booed if you are walking from the game. To me that's like celebrating a injury which does happen and its disgusting. Its sick. And this Luck situation is a quick reminder how sick people are when it comes to their football being disrupted.

And if that's how the Colts chose to remember him? Shame on them because they have NO IDEA what he had to go through to even be able to suit up last year.

Not to mention that earlier in the thread, someone posted a link that showed that the Colts might have known some time in advance that Luck was considering retiring and was told to take his time deciding. So they knew it was a very real possibility. I don't blame him one bit for walking away and hope he doesn't have too much pain living the rest of his life because they were too stupid to protect a QB by drafting a good O-line. Jerry was that stupid until Romo convinced him via contract to build the line..and fortunately now Dak gets that protection.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The timing completely sucks. Why couldn't Luck have injured his ankle before the draft?

My3Sons

Reaction score
I have no love for the NFL press, but they are making some fair points. I understand the position Aikman is taking and why he is taking it.

Here is the rub as I see it...

If Luck wants to retire and save his body from abuse, I have no problem with that. Here is the problem, he is keeping his signing bonus. He should give back the prorated amount of that bonus. He is not playing out the contract by choice, so pay it back. Then this would feel better in my book.

Now, if I were a GM going forward there would be very specific language protecting that investment(assuming it is vague now which may or may not be the case).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have no love for the NFL press, but they are making some fair points. I understand the position Aikman is taking and why he is taking it.

If Luck wants to retire and save his body from abuse, I have no problem with that. Here is the problem, he is keeping his signing bonus. He should give back the prorated amount of that bonus. He is not playing out the contract by choice, so pay it back. Then this would feel better in my book.

Now, if I were a GM going forward there would be very specific language protecting that investment(assuming it is vague now which may or may not be the case).

Yes, but, if I were a GM, I'd have also given him an Oline when we had lost a previous Hall of Famer (Peyton) to a broken neck because of the oline.

joseephuss

Reaction score

The Colts aren't asking for the money back. They are fine with him keeping it after all he has been through. Plus they have the most available cap space in the league. Almost double the next team down. I believe they gained cap space this season by his retirement opposed to him trying to play and missing a significant amount of games this year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

The Colts told him to keep it...………...call it severance pay if you will.

Dallas did the same thing with Romo, could have forced him to pay back some money but just told him to keep instead.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not to mention that earlier in the thread, someone posted a link that showed that the Colts might have known some time in advance that Luck was considering retiring and was told to take his time deciding. So they knew it was a very real possibility. I don't blame him one bit for walking away and hope he doesn't have too much pain living the rest of his life because they were too stupid to protect a QB by drafting a good O-line. Jerry was that stupid until Romo convinced him via contract to build the line..and fortunately now Dak gets that protection.
Awwww the team knew? And probably wanted to wait until the last minute to tell it. And Luck is the one getting the blame lol.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You don’t think Troy is triggered? He’s seems pretty hot about it to me.

And where did Gottlieb say he knew what playing QB in the NFL is like? His point is that pro sports and pro athletes are making very different decisions nowadays. Look at superstar players in the NBA getting together in FA and trying to win titles rather than stick it out with their original franchises. It’s a different world today for better or worse.

Yeah that Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders and Sandy Koufax, they were the first millennials.