Twitter: Aikman savages Doug Gottlieb on Luck

MyUserName

Reaction score
I’m all for ripping millennials most of the time (let’s face it, as a generation they’ve earned it) but I back Aikman on this one.

My only concern is the timing of Luck’s decision and how it could’ve been handled differently.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I also believe the sticky mentions cowboys only discussions belong on the fan zone, this belongs in the nfl zone with that other Dak thread. Don't want to have to read another size 48 sticky in red to remind us

Brooksey

Reaction score
LHmIvIU.png
Luck can do anything he wants with his life and Gottleib has the right to his opinion, neither is wrong. I tend to side with the Gottleib idea that quarterbacks of older generations wouldn't do this, although I'm sure they're were a few, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghst187

Reaction score
Got no issues with Luck retiring and wish him the best. Class dude, great player. His life, not ours.
Totally don’t blame him, dealing with injuries gets old and if it robs you of your enjoyment then it’s time to move on. It’s very different than a two year premature hold out B.C. of a contract by someone who may or may not stay out of trouble.....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Luck got booed out of the stadium and he should have. What kind of pathetic ***** quits 2 weeks before the season begins because of an ankle sprain?

If he wasnt willing to risk an ankle sprain he should have retired in the offseason.
Aikmans tweet is addressed at you.

ghst187

Reaction score
Guess practicing free throws was too hard for Doug back in the day too?

mcmvp

Reaction score
I’m not going to get into whether ‘he’s a quitter/not a quitter’ debate...but I will say Luck could’ve handled the timing of this better.

This isn’t a conclusion that just someone just wakes up with one day. He and his wife have been discussing this for a while. It’s his body and his decision, but I think he could’ve, perhaps, not waited until 2 weeks before the season opener to drop the bomb.

Either way it would be a shock to everyone...but a big part of this hysteria is the timing of it.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m not going to get into whether ‘he’s a quitter/not a quitter’ debate...but I will say Luck could’ve handled the timing of this better.

This isn’t a conclusion that just someone just wakes up with one day. He and his wife have been discussing this for a while. It’s his body and his decision, but I think he could’ve, perhaps, not waited until 2 weeks before the season opener to drop the bomb.

Either way it would be a shock to everyone...but a big part of this hysteria is the timing of it.

If you believe the reports, he's been batting this around for a few weeks and the team was apparently well aware of what was going on before last night.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
To the people calling out Luck for quitting two weeks before the season starts, you guys know owners cut players two weeks before the season starts all the time, right? He more than paid his dues to that team.

Honestly, more player should make this decision.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Luck can do anything he wants with his life and Gottleib has the right to his opinion, neither is wrong. I tend to side with the Gottleib idea that quarterbacks of older generations wouldn't do this, although I'm sure they're were a few, who knows.

Probably because they never touched Luck's money throughout their entire career and didn't have all of the information about longterm health after playing football.

Luck has a 100 million dollars.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I love it. The irony is that Gottlieb's behavior suggests he is desperate to win over millennial fans. Guy is 43 and he acts and writes like he is 23. It must be exhausting for media types to try to stay fresh and hip 24/7 these days. I also never understand how these guys even have jobs. I was at a fairly large party last night and we were all talking about Gottleib. Had to be 15 of us. Everyone hated the guy. Maybe this finally sinks him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I also believe the sticky mentions cowboys only discussions belong on the fan zone, this belongs in the nfl zone with that other Dak thread. Don't want to have to read another size 48 sticky in red to remind us

If Hall of Famer Troy Aikman’s words of wisdom aren’t Cowboys-related, regardless of what he’s talking about, then we should burn this whole ruse down once and for all.

It’s in the Cowboys section because it belongs in the Cowboys section.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Luck probably doesn't just have a sprained ankle, the Colts made vague references to a bone injury but have been super evasive about Luck's true injury status leading up to this.

Luck didn't quit after some catastrophic injuries from 2015-2017 so I don't see why we're assuming he's suddenly gone super soft.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
To the people calling out Luck for quitting two weeks before the season starts, you guys know owners cut players two weeks before the season starts all the time, right? He more than paid his dues to that team.

Honestly, more player should make this decision.

While I’m 100% on Luck’s side on this, that’s not an apt comparison. Players get cut for the benefit of the team. The GM’s, owners, and GM-owners (;)) aren’t doing it out of spite or personal satisfaction.

Andrew is not retiring for benefit of the team, he’s doing it strictly for personal reasons. This is why fans are okay with owners doing it, but upset with Andrew... however misguided that disappointment is.