CFZ Aikman yukking it up on MNF

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it me or when ESPN decided to pay him all that money did they decide to have he and Buck loosen it up and have Troy play the part of laughing sidekick? He laughs at what Buck says as well as the ref analyst.

Last night he even referenced “staying out of trouble” when they had a shot of the French Quarter. There was definitely something going on between he and Buck with that comment.

I have noticed he has developed this habit of chuckling before he is going explain something that is really not funny. It sounds like forced personality.

ESPN even had them in those funky yellow ABC blazers last week and it was evident they were not happy with that.

I have always liked Aikman’s presentation even when he compliments the Eagles, which causes most here to chant “get a rope”! But this new one does not fit him well.

I think what happened is when they decided to go after him, they wanted a more Romo presentation for their money. Romo is more like having a loquacious buddy sitting on the couch with you watching the game. Aikman has always been a little stiffer than that.

So, I was wondering if others have noticed this change since he went from Fox to ESPN?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is it me or when ESPN decided to pay him all that money did they decide to have he and Buck loosen it up and have Troy play the part of laughing sidekick? He laughs at what Buck says as well as the ref analyst.

Last night he even referenced “staying out of trouble” when they had a shot of the French Quarter. There was definitely something going on between he and Buck with that comment.

I have noticed he has developed this habit of chuckling before he is going explain something that is really not funny. It sounds like forced personality.

ESPN even had them in those funky yellow ABC blazers last week and it was evident they were not happy with that.

I have always liked Aikman’s presentation even when he compliments the Eagles, which causes most here to chant “get a rope”! But this new one does not fit him well.

I think what happened is when they decided to go after him, they wanted a more Romo presentation for their money. Romo is more like having a loquacious buddy sitting on the couch with you watching the game. Aikman has always been a little stiffer than that.

So, I was wondering if others have noticed this change since he went from Fox to ESPN?
I haven’t watched enough MNF to notice. I flipped over once last night but as usual most Monday nights games are a bore or non interesting matchups.

I didn’t even know they wore the yellow jackets until I saw on local media . But I haven’t read any of the type criticism you’re referring to locally, not yet . But I might have to watch more closely now.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I haven’t watched enough MNF to notice. I flipped over once last night but as usual most Monday nights games are a bore or non interesting matchups.

I didn’t even know they wore the yellow jackets until I saw on local media . But I haven’t read any of the type criticism you’re referring to locally, not yet . But I might have to watch more closely now.
I've felt like these primetime matches (between TNF/SNF/MNF) have largely been terrible this season.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
I haven't really paid that much attention to Prime, NBC, Fox or ESPN analysts. I normally have the volume low and music (old school hip hop) playing when the Cowboys aren't playing. But when Tony Romo is calling a game that I'm watching on CBS I thoroughly enjoy listening to him. How many people think Tom Brady will be a good analyst once he hangs them up?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Didn’t Troy sing “Turn out the lights, the party’s over” a couple of weeks ago channeling the sacred ghost of Dandy Don Meredith? Wouldn’t have seen that on FOX broadcasts I bet.

MNF to has always been designed to be a little more outside the lines of Sunday games going back to the days when it started with Howard Cosell and Dandy practically doing stand up comedy bits. I don’t usually watch MNF these days because to me (other than the Cowboys) the NFL has become pretty boring. But I may have to dial in sometime soon to catch the Troy and Buck show. I do generally like that team way better than Jim Nance and Tony Romo. Romo wears me out with his over-talking every…single…down. I prefer the more minimalist presentation.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am just happy we don't have to hear Buck on our Sunday games.

Troy, I have noticed he chuckles more than he had in the past, but it doesn't bother me. Troy seems to have settled down somewhat though and is explaining some things more so than what he used to.

Even Buck on MNF does not bother me as he used to.
Even Al Michaels on TNF games seems different, more relaxed I guess.

Or maybe I just don't care and tune them out more than I used to....or.....maybe I am more relaxed. :laugh:

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I am just happy we don't have to hear Buck on our Sunday games.

Troy, I have noticed he chuckles more than he had in the past, but it doesn't bother me. Troy seems to have settled down somewhat though and is explaining some things more so than what he used to.

Even Buck on MNF does not bother me as he used to.
Even Al Michaels on TNF games seems different, more relaxed I guess.

Or maybe I just don't care and tune them out more than I used to....or.....maybe I am more relaxed. :laugh:

Al Michaels is definitely looser on Thursday nights, he's actually been pretty funny this year poking fun at some of their poor matchups.

ESisback

Reaction score

Yeah, the head honchos seem to think ratings succe$$ needs less analysis and more Wedding Crashers. Make a stuffed shirt be a clown.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Probably dealing with the dresses comment a few weeks back. Probably chuckling because he had to change the comment that popped into his head so as not to "offend" anyone. Or maybe he is sampling a lot more of his own #8 Beer than he lets on...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
People who aren't really funny tend to laugh at their own jokes a lot, particularly before they even tell the joke. Maybe it's their way of letting you know they're jokes, so you at least give a polite chuckle.