Alarming stat downplays Dak Prescott's passing ability

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I have seen the same. It’s just a tricky thing on where the blame lies. I agree that if it hits them in the hands then they should catch it. But some of these drops that the WR is running across and Dak throws it behind them and at full speed he is trying to reach back with one hand grab the ball and keep moving and not get hit, that’s not a catch that’s gonna be made a lot and I think the blame should be shared. Now I saw some that was just straight drops.
Just for the sake of your argument, let's just call it 7 less drops do to bad passes, he still leads the league in yardage.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
This year with new coaches, more offensive weapons and possibly a better defense plus getting rid of the Gingerbread Clapper will say alot about how Dak Prescott will be viewed for years to come. Winning the division, of course being in the playoffs and winning a game or two in them is very realistic to many fans. Now, Just Win Baby..

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Some QBs throw a more catchable ball than others. Don’t know if that is the case with Dak but I would like to see less drops and more passes hitting receivers in stride.
I'd like to see more sacks, more interceptions, less penalties, and then let's see how things go. You can't pull one without the other.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:
It's about winning and winning championships.

Not running up yardage against prevent defenses try to just make you burn time off the clock and take the win.

SB trophies are handed out to teams that win. Not players who run stats up with losses.

Dak has not won consistently since 2016.

In 2016 Phllly was right there with us until they collapsed down the stretch handing us the East.

Next year..Philly won a SB after losing Wentz and still they left us in the dust.

Next year we go in 2018 and win the East but it too another collapse by the Iggles to let us win.

In 2019 we are the favs for the East. We have the pressure on us. We collapse.

Dak just was not a deciding factor. Only in 2016 when he was ROTY.

I just could never commit to a guy who had major All Pro talent around him from 2016 to 2019 and won only against Seattle in the Playoffs losing to the Rams and Packers dramatically.

That is too out of my comfort level.

To better analyze your QB breakdown above, post the number of playoffs they won those years.

You will quickly see that winning in playoffs adds to totals and skews results but also shows what's what.

Your post only support your measuring stick.

We all have different sticks.

:omg:

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's about winning and winning championships.

Not running up yardage against prevent defenses try to just make you burn time off the clock and take the win.

SB trophies are handed out to teams that win. Not players who run stats up with losses.

Dak has not won consistently since 2016.

In 2016 Phllly was right there with us until they collapsed down the stretch handing s the East.

Next year..Philly won SB and left us in the dust.

Next year we go in 2018 and win the East but it too another collapse by the Iggles to let us win.

In 2019 we are the favs for the East. We have the pressure on us. We collapse.

Dak just was not a deciding factor. Only in 2016 when he was ROTY.

I just could never commit to a guu who had major All Pro around him from 2016 to 2019 and won only against Seattle in the Playoff losing to the Rams and Packets.

That is too out of my comfort level.

To better analyze your QB breakdown above, post the number of playoffs they won those years.

You will quickly see that winning in playoffs adds to totals and skews results but also shows what's what.

Your post only support your measuring stick.

We all have different sticks.

:omg:
:facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn’t read thru here but do those drops include all the poorly thrown balls that were too high , too low or behind them even over their heads they still made miraculous efforts to get their hands on ? Lol

How are dropped balls defined? Anything that touches their hands?

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I'd like to see more sacks, more interceptions, less penalties, and then let's see how things go. You can't pull one without the other.
I’m pretty sure all Dallas fans would like to see that.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The FanZone in-groups :

1. The Anti Dak group. Don't really care if the Cowboys do well as long as Dak is purged from the team

That's a straw man. No one here wants the Cowboys to do poorly, except perhaps some trolls who are fans from other teams. Some fans here don't want the team to overpay for Dak and thus salary-cap-hamstring the team. That view comes out of the desire for the Cowboys to be a good team, which is the exact opposite of your claim. If you oppose someone else's views, that's fine. Everyone has the right to an opinion, but you need to accurately represent the other side.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
27-21 with Garrett as head coach, not much help from the defense and bad to horribly bad special teams, dropped passes........

Winning despite those obstacles says something. Literally the odds were stacked against him.
Beating up on bad teams while struggling against better teams.

0-5 last year against teams with 10 wins or more. While rolling up 35 points a game in our 8 wins only averaged 15 points in our 8 losses. In 3 of those losses didn’t score a TD.

An offense with so much of our Cap and resources with bulk of our talent needs to fare better carrying this team against elite opponents.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I didn’t read thru here but do those drops include all the poorly thrown balls that were too high , too low or behind them even over their heads they still made miraculous efforts to get their hands on ? Lol

How are dropped balls defined? Anything that touches their hands?
Many of Wince's passes were very high, low, behind and even against the line of direction from his lesser talented wide receivers, YET THEY CAUGHT EVERYTHING Wince was throwing.

Watch...

As per ours, they were dropping passes that Dak was placing right on them.

Care to explain this or are we going to continue with Dak is a terrible passer and he cost us the game/playoffs because he fails to throw ever throw right between the numbers on our receivers' jerseys???

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Many of Wince's passes were very high, low, behind and even against the line of direction from his lesser talented wide receivers, YET THEY CAUGHT EVERYTHING Wince was throwing.

Watch...

As per ours, they were dropping passes that Dak was placing right on them.

Care to explain this or are we going to continue with Dak is a terrible passer and he cost us the game/playoffs because he fails to throw ever throw right between the numbers on our receivers' jerseys???

Who is Wince?

Ive never claimed Dak cost us anything. He just throws a lot of balls off target.

I recall Cooper making some miraculous catches.

And I’m not sure how drops are defined but it sounds like an excuse category to me.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He led the way bashing Romo. He hopped on Daks wagon I think to prove it was all about Romo why we didn’t have more success. But Dak is on a similar path as Romo.
I was one of Romo's biggest supporters during his first 2.5 years when he was on the bench because he would show look good during training camp and those preseason games. It's when he went this way since his first start 1/3 of the way through the 2006 season...

20200529-160605.jpg

...and continued going Hollywood while falling short in crucial games that he lost me. I came back and started supporting him in his last few years, but his body was constantly breaking down by then.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
27-21 with Garrett as head coach, not much help from the defense and bad to horribly bad special teams, dropped passes........

Winning despite those obstacles says something. Literally the odds were stacked against him.
Seems like we have just had too many years to spin the reasons we never meet expectations.

Nothing meant to you and your statement.

Not at all.

But when we win its we overcame obstacles to get there.

When we lose we had too many reasons why we could not overcome them.

Pick your poison.

I once got into a discussion with my nephew about dropping out of college and why he needed a degree to earn more money.

I said he could not ask my brother to keep funding his school if he decided to change his mind and return to school.

He decided to skip school thinking he was going to be a computer genius and make millions like in the kids movies selling that BS.

So he failed and never met expectations and had to find a low paying job and play on his computer while living at home again.

Moral of the story is we have to stop making excuses for our team. They just to me did not want it enough.

I like that Philly beat us in 2017 and won without Wentz.

It shows how we could win without Dak and could easily win with Dalton.

It's about the team not just one position

I like the way Philly hung in in 2019 and beat us like they did.

Again it shows they are the better team and just handle adversity better than we will or do.

And it is not just Garrett or McCarthy getting it done or not

Its does the team want it or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was one of Romo's biggest supporters during his first 2.5 years when he was on the bench because he would show look good during training camp and those preseason games. It's when he went this way since his first start 1/3 of the way through the 2006 season...

20200529-160605.jpg

...and continued going Hollywood while falling short in crucial games that he lost me. I came back and started supporting him in his last few years, but his body was constantly breaking down by then.
Supporting Romo while he was on the bench is the most ridiculous claim I think I’ve heard from you on the subject. Lol

I suppose you supported leaving Bledsoe in there?

leeblair

Reaction score
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:
Stats don't make a quarterback "elite".
Making plays that make the team better when they need a boost does.
Dak doesn't produce when the team needs a leader.