Albert Breer on Dak's contract situation

Bagman

Reaction score
Why do we keep hearing that word " leverage" with Dak ? Exactly what can Dak's agent say to the FO ? "You'll never be able to NOT COMPETE FOR NFC AND NFL CHAMPIONSHIPS if you don't pay my client $58-60 million a year" ? Losing Dak will certainly hurt short term while a replacement is being groomed but unless Dak gives you a SB win in the next 3 years I think it's worth NOT paying him and looking for the next guy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
So for all the fans that want to be rid of Dak, what is the plan to replace him because every QB on the roster is on the last year of their contracts.

So resign Lance or Rush? Why would the sign for some low contracts. Franchise tag for 2025 will be around $45 million. So draft one? We'll depending on what Dallas record is, say at worst 7-10 and best 13-4 means that to move up to top 5 is going to cost at least two first especially when every team knows you are moving up for a QB.

Even with great luck and out of the world analytics, the rookie QB is no better than a 50/50 of being the guy. And Vegas already list next year's qb class as weakest in some time. Don't care what Vegas says, we'll those guys are in the business of making money and are right most of the time. Oh, they have Dallas at 10.5 wins on the over and under.

And have a feeling that come the start of the season, Dak could hold out if not extended or at very least demand as insurance policy worth 200 million in case injury.

Want to replace Dak? Come up with a plan that doesn't have Dallas losing more games than they win the next five years and not sniffing the playoffs.
You’re right. I completely hear what you’re saying.

So we are clear I don’t care which way the decision goes because I see both sides of the argument.

While it may be difficult to field a roster that can compete for a championship while paying your QB 50-60 million per, I don’t at all think Stephen will allow the savings to be spent on top free agents anyway, if they were paying a Teddy Bridgewater type around 25 million.

Regardless of whether Prescott is extended another four years or so, he can’t play forever, so they will eventually need to find a replacement. While it would be nice to be ahead of that, it can’t always happen that way if you’re winning double digit games during the regular season while not being good enough to get out of the first round.

At some point, it’s quite likely they will suck for a few years. That happens to teams. It becomes a matter of being bad enough in the same season prior to the right QBs are coming out then building from there.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.......notice his tag number IF there was no tag clause

From Steve Bussberg (@SBussberg): What is the latest on Dak’s contract situation? Is the thinking he plays the year without a new deal? And is it the Cowboys shying away from a new deal? Or Dak wants out?

Steve, I think we’re at the posturing stage of the negotiation.

That doesn’t mean they won’t get something done. Huffing and puffing about your intentions, and how resolved you are to your position, is easy in March and April and May. As we get closer to summer, things will start to shift, as the Dallas Cowboys come closer to the reality of putting Prescott out there in a contract year, and Prescott confronts the injury risk that accompanies that, and the uncertainty of what might lie ahead in 2025.

That said, I think there are a couple of things to remember here. First, Prescott’s tag number in 2025 would come at 144% of his ’24 cap number. The latter tops $55 million, which sets the former at $79.39 million. And that essentially means Dallas really can’t tag Prescott in March, so he’s got the rare leverage of knowing he’ll be a free agent. Meanwhile, Jared Goff just got a deal with a new-money average of $53 million, months after Kirk Cousins got $45 million, so waiting on this has given negotiations new framing.

I can’t imagine, based on all this, that Prescott would take anything without an average well into the 50s. Do the Cowboys have the appetite for that? To this point, they haven’t. We’ll see whether that changes as we get closer to the season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...im-rare-leverage-over-the-cowboys/ar-BB1ms6LJ
CIAO Choker man.......................and don't let the door hit you in the.................

mardwin

Reaction score
Why do we keep hearing that word " leverage" with Dak ? Exactly what can Dak's agent say to the FO ? "You'll never be able to NOT COMPETE FOR NFC AND NFL CHAMPIONSHIPS if you don't pay my client $58-60 million a year" ? Losing Dak will certainly hurt short term while a replacement is being groomed but unless Dak gives you a SB win in the next 3 years I think it's worth NOT paying him and looking for the next guy.
I doubt Dak is getting any TV commercial deals outside of Dallas. He'll be just another QB after he's gone.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It's crazy to me that there are so many who blame Dak for his (lack of) playoff performance but seemingly have no issues with Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones with their ineptitude.

I think Dak has some serious flaws but he has subpar coaching and a GM who has no idea what he is doing. The Cowboys were the 2nd seed last year and GM Jerry now expects them to compete with less overall talent and lame duck coaches. 99% of NFL teams, right or wrong, would try to build on last year's success. No other team would say they need to do "more with less."

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one is talking about this but it's a legit question. Is Dak willing to go through an entire season w/o an extension and losing money via a season-ending injury? Tough call........there is a lot on the line.
Dak hold out?????????? :muttley: :muttley:
Only talent needs to apply and there is ZERO chance he holds out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt Dak is getting any TV commercial deals outside of Dallas. He'll be just another QB after he's gone.
Dak will disappear from the map of the NFL after leaching on the Star for 9 years!!!!
BOOK IT!:thumbup:

mardwin

Reaction score
It's crazy to me that there are so many who blame Dak for his (lack of) playoff performance but seemingly have no issues with Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones with their ineptitude.

I think Dak has some serious flaws but he has subpar coaching and a GM who has no idea what he is doing. The Cowboys were the 2nd seed last year and GM Jerry now expects them to compete with less overall talent and lame duck coaches. 99% of NFL teams, right or wrong, would try to build on last year's success. No other team would say they need to do "more with less."
Dak is no Tony Romo who had to endure Jason Garrett for most of his career. Dak is just limited as a QB and it shows. I'm still not over the 2 playoff games against the Niners that he singlehandedly lost.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing about an hour ago.

If I’m Prescott, and eight months away from free agency, they can’t tag me….I don’t know if I even want to stay in Dallas and take all the blame for two unqualified cheapos who refuse to upgrade the team.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

I'm not sure who you are talking about. Most fan polls show the majority want Dak gone. I'm not sure what fan polls are showing people like MM or the Jones family? They are universally hated except for their family and friends.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Dak is no Tony Romo who had to endure Jason Garrett for most of his career. Dak is just limited as a QB and it shows. I'm still not over the 2 playoff games against the Niners that he singlehandedly lost.
He was playing defense?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rare leverage..lol
Oh yeah, it's so rare it's non existent

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Lets not diminish the fact that Dak is good.. But... He's not THAT GOOD...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the defense did their job in those playoff games. Dak threw ints and mismanaged the clock.
"Pretty sure" ? Looks like your bias is showing.

The defense was outscored 20-7 in the first half. They also gave up 143 yards rushing and 3 rushing TDs, not to mention didn't cover Luke Musgrave at all on his 38-yard TD.

Dak did not play well but neither did the defense.

Mismanaged the clock? He was behind the whole game.

If you are talking to QB draw at the end of the 49ers game the year before, McCarthy called that play. Just like the stupid Zeke snap play.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
If Jerry was going to extend Dak, it would have happened before free agency. Then McCarthy didn't get a new deal, and Zimmer was brought in as a fall guy even though the Cowboys have a really talented defense and could've attracted better candidates...

Read between the lines. This is a tank-out season. Dak was effectively cut back in January, but his guarantees are so high that you might as well play him.