Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could Jerry offer Lance a Cooper Rush type deal or probably a bit better he received a few years ago but with a lot of incentives. If Dak is gone after this season.

According to some on here, Lance is not good enough to get a huge contract in FA. So Jerry signs him to a modest deal to stay here, and be the starter, or the lead candidate of being the starter with competition from a drafted QB.

It could be a 2 two prove it type deal. So do not rule that possibility out.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I hear ya but listen, we were never taking a rb. Which is stupid thinking, when we could have had a Ray Davis for example with a late pick. Can you imagine having a work horse like Davis? They clearly had a plan using rb by committee and that could hurt us.
Kind of like the year we tried to do WR by committee and had to end up trading for Amari Cooper mid-season. I think this stance on RB and on player's contracts is a direct result of our analytics team that has doubled in size in the offseason. They have done things I have like this offseason and things I hate.

Things I hate:
Not acquiring a true RB1 - I don't mind Zeke as a complimentary back.
Not getting Lamb signed to an extension - his price will only go up,
ignoring the DT position again - not sold on a 7th rounder - Maybe Mazi putting back on weight will help

Things I like:
Heavy on OLine in draft - I have been wanting that unit overhauled for a few years now
Fixing the LBer situation - Erick Kendricks, Marist Liufau, and the return of Overshown is a great start
Still exploring options for 3rd WR
Not overpaying for guys like Armstrong, Biadasz, Pollard, etc

Things that make sense:
Not reaching for a QB in the draft even though we should be exploring options to replace Dak - First 6 went in the top 12 picks - no need to draft a scrub later
Work on Parsons' extension next year
Let Dak play under current contract and show his true value - Don't bow down and give him $60 million a year unless he takes this team to the Super Bowl

jrumann59

Reaction score
We've been crying for the FO to draft a qb higher than the 3rd round for a couple decades now......I guess this is as close as it gets.

Let's see what the boy can do......albeit against non starters
Unless you are in top 10 positions to draft really maybe top 15 All QBs after that point area dart throw. Some years it seems no matter where you draft a QB its a dart throw.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We've been crying for the FO to draft a qb higher than the 3rd round for a couple decades now......I guess this is as close as it gets.

No you’ve been crying. Like you do about everything.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025
That's what we need, another Tyrod Taylor. Dude has been on multiple teams. It will be the same story with Lance. We are team #2. He will be on team #3 after this season imho.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
I would love for Lance to be the solution to replace Dak. I just don't see it. His ceiling seems to be a quality backup at this point. The 49ers saw this and so did the other teams when he was put on the trade block. Jerry was bidding against himself and gave up a 4th rounder. The 49ers made it clear that Dallas gave an offer much better than any other team that was interested in Lance. Most fans don't have a problem with moving on from Dak. Our problem is that the Jones boys have once again allowed Dak to control the narrative by not acquiring actual competition for him.

starfan1

Reaction score
No you’ve been crying. Like you do about everything.
Im sorry dude Shabazz while he may not be all in on Dak is far from someone Id consider a hater or even a whiner. In fact he is one that i can actually stomach with his critism and his occassional humor. There are far worse on this site. And to be fair as much as i like DaK I have wanted the cowboys to draft competition as far back as 2007. The only time I can rememer not wanting competition drafted is when #8 and #12 were behind center.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Haven’t read through every post, but I haven’t seen this mentioned….

Even if Lance actually gets into games this season, if he has any measure of success, aside from having to pay him as a FA, if you don’t retain McCarthy, you’re asking him to learn an entirely new offense, and he may not have that same success in that case.

Just wish the majority would try to stop making sense of this deal and realize it was nothing more than Jerry wanting to play with his toy.

MikeT22

Reaction score

Yeah, I guess the best is to trade for one drafted high who failed and couldn’t beat out a 7th rounder or a journeyman.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025
If Tyrod Taylor is the ceiling then fans can forget about him being our future QB. Any QB lesser than Dak and the Cowboys have no shot to win anything.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Haven’t read through every post, but I haven’t seen this mentioned….

Even if Lance actually gets into games this season, if he has any measure of success, aside from having to pay him as a FA, if you don’t retain McCarthy, you’re asking him to learn an entirely new offense, and he may not have that same success in that case.
You bring up a good point about the relationship with Lance and McCarthy. Assuming Lance shows promise this year and Dak isn't resigned I would think McCarthy is a lock to return even if this team misses the playoffs this year. I'd have to think the appeal for both sides to make it work would be Lance having continuity in McCarthys offense.

Of course one signature from Dak negates that completely though.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You bring up a good point about the relationship with Lance and McCarthy. Assuming Lance shows promise this year and Dak isn't resigned I would think McCarthy is a lock to return even if this team misses the playoffs this year. I'd have to think the appeal for both sides to make it work would be Lance having continuity in McCarthys offense.

Of course one signature from Dak negates that completely though.
Let me ask you off topic…from an overall standpoint….do you think there’s some sort of master plan at work here? I kinda don’t. I don’t think they have a clue, and I’m not trying to pile on…I just think they don’t have any real direction. It reveals itself when they speak then have to backpedal, and the fact that none of it make much sense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Im sorry dude Shabazz while he may not be all in on Dak is far from someone Id consider a hater or even a whiner. In fact he is one that i can actually stomach with his critism and his occassional humor. There are far worse on this site. And to be fair as much as i like DaK I have wanted the cowboys to draft competition as far back as 2007. The only time I can rememer not wanting competition drafted is when #8 and #12 were behind center.
I’m sorry dude but you’re completely wrong.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Let me ask you off topic…from an overall standpoint….do you think there’s some sort of master plan at work here? I kinda don’t. I don’t think they have a clue, and I’m not trying to pile on…I just think they don’t have any real direction. It reveals itself when they speak then have to backpedal, and the fact that none of it make much sense.
I think the "master plan" was simply Jerry trying to get Dak to play ball on a contract extension, and hope that maybe he hits on a buy low gem in the process.

Fast forward to today and I don't think these guys have any sort of plan and that's what leaves me frustrated. I think they are more than willing to let this all play out and just roll with whatever pieces are left for them. For that reason I typically don't embrace the QB theories going on, but also don't dismiss them as even if it's not Jerrys plan, one of these theories may end up being right in the end. For example Jerry may have every intention to bring Dak back on a new mega deal, but Dak has more leverage than any QB in their walk year that I can remember, and he may be done with the drama Jerry & Stephen bring.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
This opinion has beat the dead horse sooooooooo...long, its handprint is wore into the stick it used.

LysleE

Reaction score
Difficult to evaluate the Trey Lance acquisition based on his injury and limited reps in live game action. Also difficult to imagine that a competent FO, such as the one in SF could completely misjudge TL’s talent, but then again Dallas’ FO has misjudged Dak’s talent over the past 9 years…so no guarantees.
Would like to see TL get some snaps during TC and exhibition games to see his game; hoping he can be a #2 QB…his mobility definitely would give this offense an added dimension given the Dallas FO failed to address RB during FA and the draft.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
this league is all about the qb, so its hard to fault the team for throwing a low risk dart. Not to mention, QB's that can be serviceable are super hard to find. I take no issue with Jerry for making this trade. We have to find out about him this year or see if we can get him to sign a heaper extension for a year.
Low risk? We gave up a 4th rd pick. That was stupid.