Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

Chasing6

Reaction score
Money will be the only catalyst that will get “Dak out of Dallas”. It’s the only thing that will keep him here, as well.
I am not sure I am buying that narrative.

They have made it clear signing priorities are Dak, CD and Micah in that order. The longer you delay Dak, you delay CD and Micah.

It is better for us to pay both CD and Micah on their 5th year option.

They are using Dak as an excuse/delay tactic.

jujoboys

Reaction score
What has anyone seen that makes hime even a quality backup?
I didn't say he was a quality backup. I said that his ceiling appears to be a quality backup. Most players never reach their ceiling. Basically I am saying that we will be lucky if he develops into a quality backup. I don't see him as having a chance at being a starter in the league.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
No reason he could not keep both. Purdy was an unknown coming back from injury. That is why they signed a veteran back up QB in Darnold.

They had no faith in Trance backing him up Purdy. The decision was made before camp or why would you sign Darnold to a 1 year $4.5M contract.
Plenty of reasons first being you don't want your chosen starter looking over his shoulder, especially in that scenario (you have a QB on the roster that you traded multiple 1st rounders for, and literally the last player taken in the draft) ANY STRUGGLE, media and fans alike would be calling for the higher pick to start.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
People will have an opinion on the kid, but he will get plenty of reps in the preseason to see what he got.

Let’s see if he can unseat Cooper Rush as the #2.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Plenty of reasons first being you don't want your chosen starter looking over his shoulder, especially in that scenario (you have a QB on the roster that you traded multiple 1st rounders for, and literally the last player taken in the draft) ANY STRUGGLE, media and fans alike would be calling for the higher pick to start.
Looking over his shoulder from what? Darnold was significantly more of a threat than Trance.

If Dak looks in his review mirror he still can't see Trance.

I don't even think Cooper Rush is looking over shoulder.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Breer’s comment amounts to an ignorant “hot take”… no one knows who Trey Lance is or what his ceiling is until he is given some meaningful snaps

As for why JJ traded for him? Investing a 4th round pick in a player with a perceived first round ceiling is a reasonable gamble.

If Lance flames out— you lose a mid round player. But if he hits— you get great value for your investment.

In context, the trade was made when Dak was coming off his worst year and leading the league in INTs. Was his 2023 season a response to feeling some pressure coming from Lance? It’s possible— and if so, then his bounce back regular season production can be partially credited to the acquisition of Lance and factored into the ROI of the 4th round investment as well.

Clearly nothing they have tried has cracked the code of this team’s postseason woes— and that continues to be the number one concern
Totally wasted and costly draft pick...and everyone knows it. Could have easily taken a RB with that 4th round draft pick.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well to be fair Tyrod Taylor was traded for a 3rd round pick at one point for whatever that's worth. Of course this isn't quite apples to apples to that, but if Lance does end up being a reliable backup that gets a couple starts for an injured Dak and goes 1-1 or 2-1 it should probably be viewed as a win strictly from a value perspective. The Cooper Rush factor makes that idea a little blurry, but I think we overstate the value that a 4th round pick really carries.
It's funny you mention that because I was going to say how much I valued a 4th round pick, but chose not to. I don't value day 3 picks very much at all. But with a 4th, I'd like to at least have some hope. Even if it's a longshot.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
That isn't the truth and you know it.
It likely isn’t. It’s just his speculation. First of all, because Trey was drafted by Lynch despite not being the type of QB that Shanahan wants to run his offense. Shanahan would’ve liked to have drafted a guy like Mac Jones. Second of all, they lucked into Purdy and he and Darnold are similar type of QBs in the mold of QBs Shanahan wants, plus he had more playing time in college and was more NFL ready. No way a young QB like Lance drafted that high wanted to be just to be 3rd string and not have an opportunity to have a chance to backup and eventually start.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
this league is all about the qb, so its hard to fault the team for throwing a low risk dart. Not to mention, QB's that can be serviceable are super hard to find. I take no issue with Jerry for making this trade. We have to find out about him this year or see if we can get him to sign a heaper extension for a year.
Exactly right.

In fact with our QB and cap situation it’s organizational malfeasance to not draft a QB in any round every single year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It's funny you mention that because I was going to say how much I valued a 4th round pick, but chose not to. I don't value day 3 picks very much at all. But with a 4th, I'd like to at least have some hope. Even if it's a longshot.
I have no issue with that viewpoint and certainly don't think you're alone in it. Based on NFL trade history though if Lance turns out to be a reliable backup QB I think Jerry/Stephen will certainly be pumping their fists in celebration and consider it a W.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
no worries, he and Racey McMath are gonna light it up.

he'll be like a poor man's Nooch.