Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

Creeper

Reaction score
What would Tyron Taylor bring in a trade? Something tells me a 4th round pick is more than he would fetch.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Why not?

You think Jerry traded for him just for it’s and giggles?

When has Jerry ever traded the things he values most (draft picks) for someone he had no plan to ever put on the field?
It was nothing more than buying a lottery ticket. I highly doubt even Jerry thought, at the time, that he was going to be their eventual starter.

I doubt that Trey Lance will ever amount anything more than a back up quarterback in this league. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting more.

Chasing6

Reaction score
this league is all about the qb, so its hard to fault the team for throwing a low risk dart. Not to mention, QB's that can be serviceable are super hard to find. I take no issue with Jerry for making this trade. We have to find out about him this year or see if we can get him to sign a heaper extension for a year.
Not sure low risk is the correct definition. He never had a chance with Dak under contract.

If he had another year, I might view it differently, but with both their contracts expiring at the same time, it never made any sense.

Honestly it was just a waste of time and a disservice to Trance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Trey Lance is a first-rounder whose talents have been unused and undeveloped. At this point, we don't know what he can do. If he can perform well enough to be our QB2 then he needs to be coached up to be our QB1 in 2025. Dak's leverage for continued employment with the Cowboys beyond this season is that weak. Develop this kid!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It was nothing more than buying a lottery ticket. I highly doubt even Jerry thought, at the time, that he was going to be their eventual starter.

I doubt that Trey Lance will ever amount anything more than a back up quarterback in this league. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting more.
I don’t care if he amounts to anything to be honest. It would be amazing if he does though.

But if he is the catalyst that gets Dak out of Dallas then he more than fulfills his purpose for me.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Breer’s comment amounts to an ignorant “hot take”… no one knows who Trey Lance is or what his ceiling is until he is given some meaningful snaps

As for why JJ traded for him? Investing a 4th round pick in a player with a perceived first round ceiling is a reasonable gamble.

If Lance flames out— you lose a mid round player. But if he hits— you get great value for your investment.

In context, the trade was made when Dak was coming off his worst year and leading the league in INTs. Was his 2023 season a response to feeling some pressure coming from Lance? It’s possible— and if so, then his bounce back regular season production can be partially credited to the acquisition of Lance and factored into the ROI of the 4th round investment as well.

Clearly nothing they have tried has cracked the code of this team’s postseason woes— and that continues to be the number one concern

Chasing6

Reaction score
I for one believe it wasn't so much about Lance as it was about Purdy doing so well. And facing the reality that he couldn't keep both.
No reason he could not keep both. Purdy was an unknown coming back from injury. That is why they signed a veteran back up QB in Darnold.

They had no faith in Trance backing him up Purdy. The decision was made before camp or why would you sign Darnold to a 1 year $4.5M contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Breer’s comment amounts to an ignorant “hot take”… no one knows who Trey Lance is or what his ceiling is until he is given some meaningful snaps

As for why JJ traded for him? Investing a 4th round pick in a player with a perceived first round ceiling is a reasonable gamble.

If Lance flames out— you lose a mid round player. But if he hits— you get great value for your investment.

In context, the trade was made when Dak was coming off his worst year and leading the league in INTs. Was his 2023 season a response to feeling some pressure coming from Lance? It’s possible— and if so, then his bounce back regular season production can be partially credited to the acquisition of Lance and factored into the ROI of the 4th round investment as well.

Clearly nothing they have tried has cracked the code of this team’s postseason woes— and that continues to be the number one concern
The Niners apparently do, that is why they punted. They clearly had seen enough.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would love for Lance to be the solution to replace Dak. I just don't see it. His ceiling seems to be a quality backup at this point. The 49ers saw this and so did the other teams when he was put on the trade block. Jerry was bidding against himself and gave up a 4th rounder. The 49ers made it clear that Dallas gave an offer much better than any other team that was interested in Lance. Most fans don't have a problem with moving on from Dak. Our problem is that the Jones boys have once again allowed Dak to control the narrative by not acquiring actual competition for him.
What has anyone seen that makes hime even a quality backup?

plasticman

Reaction score
The only thing that we will know for sure about Trey Lance is what we will see come next preseason.

The preseason kept Tony Romo relevant for three years due to the quality of his play. It kept him in the door. There is no doubt that Lance has physical tools that exceed both Romo and Dak and were the reasons for being drafted so highly. He should have been able to sit for a year or two like Rodgers, Love and Hurts. Even Mahomes sat for a year behind Alex Smith.

The 49ers didn't trade him because he is a bust. They traded him because they had a rookie QB that had an historic season while making close to the league minimum.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The only thing that we will know for sure about Trey Lance is what we will see come next preseason.

The preseason kept Tony Romo relevant for three years due to the quality of his play. It kept him in the door. There is no doubt that Lance has physical tools that exceed both Romo and Dak and were the reasons for being drafted so highly. He should have been able to sit for a year or two like Rodgers, Love and Hurts. Even Mahomes sat for a year behind Alex Smith.

The 49ers didn't trade him because he is a bust. They traded him because they had a rookie QB that had an historic season while making close to the league minimum.
It was much more than the pre season for Romo. It was also how he ran the Scout Team and made plays against our number 1 D week in and week out.

Chasing6

Reaction score

So they decided to bring in Darnold and pay him even more than Trance? How does that make sense.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He is not a QB. He is a great athlete trying to learn how to play QB. You can't learn that watching with no experience.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025
Even if he can develop into a good backup, that's a win. He's much more mobile than Rush, which means defenses would probably be less eager to pin their ears back and rush him. (Assuming he can throw to one on one receivers, especially on the run.)

Even if he's about equal to Rush, it's still a win, because he's younger.

kumizi

Reaction score
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
You don’t think people watch practice and talk?

If Lance had shown anything in practice, the hype on him would be out of control. Jerry would be bringing him up all the time. The radio silence on him = he is a nothing burger. Albert Breer just confirmed what the tea leaves were pointing to.

It’s naive to think the opinion on Trey Lance is based on what he did years ago in 4 games.