All BPA, per Ireland on the Ticket

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
It is apparent that all of your angst is centered on bashing BP and Fas is just your mechanism. Needless to say way had two good TE prior to the draft and with the selection of the BPA we now have 3.

oh, this isn't bashing, ad. i have no love for bp, no. and i've said (which you choose to ignore) that i'm not bashing fas as that's not fair - but look at him and the bavaro comparisons and look at how much bill has gone out of his way to get older BP players he's familiar with.

maybe it's just coincidence, sure. or maybe it's an unhealthy facination with the past bp can't let go of.

and thanks for the reminder - all teams have (3) starting TE's on the team. i tend to forget that need of ours we've been overlooking for years.

Pokes28

Reaction score
The thing is that some of you don't consider that a very large number of players simply aren't on Dallas' draft board. I think Jean-Gilles is most likely one of those guys that wouldn't ever be drafted by Dallas. It is possible that there are similar things for some of the other players.

I love the Bobby Carpenter pick. I think he's a much better fit for our needs than Lawson. But just like last year, we'll just have to see.

And the drafting of Carpenter in no way makes the Cowboy's signings busts thus far. This team uses 4 LBs. That means we will most likely have a couple injuries to deal with throughout the season. A 3-4 sucks if you don't have the LBs to play it.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
iceberg said:
oh, this isn't bashing, ad. i have no love for bp, no. and i've said (which you choose to ignore) that i'm not bashing fas as that's not fair - but look at him and the bavaro comparisons and look at how much bill has gone out of his way to get older BP players he's familiar with.

maybe it's just coincidence, sure. or maybe it's an unhealthy facination with the past bp can't let go of.

and thanks for the reminder - all teams have (3) starting TE's on the team. i tend to forget that need of ours we've been overlooking for years.
That's cool but most if not all coaches look for players they are familiar with. Like it or not but BP's system is what made him successful and that is the formula we are going with. We are tied to his hip for good, bad, or indifference.

I am hoping for the good and so far he has transformed this team into one in his image, now I hope that his formula can be successful in this day and age. It should be fun watching.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
That's cool but most if not all coaches look for players they are familiar with. Like it or not but BP's system is what made him successful and that is the formula we are going with. We are tied to his hip for good, bad, or indifference.

except i don't see us going by the formula in as much his older players. use that formula on young guys and let's build out for the long haul - not load up on 2-3 year players and make a quick run.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep_Freeze said:
Understood, if we are really going to run a 2 TE set as our base set, then our 2nd round pick can be seen as a pick of need. Remains to be seen if we will change our base sets on offense for this second round rookie, but if we do, then the pick is worth it.
According to JJ that is the plan. Polite and the FB position will probably be a thing of the past.

Fasano > Polite

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:
We didn't need to draft a TE, we signed a pretty good one from Seattle so you can put your tired song to rest.
Actually JJ said that going to a 2 TE set that we needed 3 good TE's. Don't know anything about a tired song but this guy will help our offense much more than Polite did.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If Bill is right about Fasano being a clone of Bavaro, what the heck is wrong with that? Bavaro is a legend in giant land.

Eskimo

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
My understanding of fusions (it was a fusion, right?) is that the fusion actually strengthens the back from a structural standpoint but causes a lack of flexibility.

Might not be a big deal, but we'd probably all feel better if he'd never needed it in the first place.

The thing I like about the pick is that it is the one area on offense where a player can have an immediate impact. Almost any other player on the board in the second round would be a backup at best. Fasano will most likely be playing on Sundays.

I have seen a number of people over the years where the plate fatigues and eventually fractures - it is usually not that big of a deal in and of itself. The plate is usually just there to provide mechanical strength until bony fusion occurs.

I don't know why Fasano needed the surgery - I might be able to comment more if I knew.

The other thing about fusions is they create excess mobility on either side of the fusion and this tends to lead to early degeneration of these joints. To act as though this should not be a cause for concern is to be blindly optimistic.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
PFW has a three teir medical risk warning. One X for a minor medical problem, TWO Xs, Three Xs for major medical problem. Fasano only got one X. I would like to find out more about his problem though.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
PFW has a three teir medical risk warning. One X for a minor medical problem, TWO Xs, Three Xs for major medical problem. Fasano only got one X. I would like to find out more about his problem though.

he has screwsplates in his spinal cord, i think is what i've heard.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
Both Parcells' parents were Irish....so what does him being Italian have to do with it?
Actually, his mom was of Italian ancestry, so obviously this Fasano pick was in honor of her like the Sean Ryan pick was in honor of his dad a few years go. :rolleyes:

What I hope is that Bill is on speaking terms with Charlie Weis again, and got a scoop on this kid that other teams didn't.

One of the advantages of having a far seeded coaching tree is the information relay. Hopefully, Weis plugged Fasano as a a smart gutsy player who 'got' the pro-style offense Charlie ran at Notre Dame.

Anyone who saw the upsurge in that ND O last year was impressed..Fasano was part of it and that speaks to his pro readiness.

This guy ain't replacing Jason and no way do I see his pick as any ulterior motive on Jerry's part to play hard ball with Witten come contract time(s). But his presence may finally enable the offensive design Bill wants.

The Fasano pick seems to meet the criteria of both value and need.

The health issue is a valid concern, but hard to find fault with the pick as a potential Jacob Rogers clone.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Word Mofo said:
Jeff Ireland says we went best player available on every round on the first day, and will continue to do so on the second day. Maybe that explains some of our picks

What would anybody expect Ireland to say? Do you think Ireland would tell all the media people, "There were better players on the board when we picked these guys!"

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I think that Ireland should be tested for substances in his system... He is really smoked out in his head... So you telling me Hatcher was the best player availiable in the 3rd Round... and Fasano the best player in the second?

Only question I have is who's doing the smoking drugs in the Dallas Cowboys organization?

To be fair, we will have to give this draft time. Going by Ireland's brief draft history of one year, he is AWESOME! Therefore, I will judge this draft after training camp and pre-season games before I suggest Mr. Ireland should be tested for any type of substance! :bang2: