All BPA, per Ireland on the Ticket

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bigdog24 said:
Last year the Cowboys was seen to be one of the best drafts rated by everyone. 2006 draft just make everyone scratch there heads, its either a HERO or ZERO.

maybe that's why we should think the braintrust knows what they're doing then don't you think?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
My thought is this, I see nothing wrong with BPA, especially for a team that went deep into the playoffs. But we aren't in that situation yet.

true, we aren't that team, but we already filled alot of needs in free agency , or should have, that allowed us to look elsewhere instead of being trapped in the position of picking strictly by need

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Eddie said:
One thing I know for certain ... when we throw sentences like "we need to wait 2 or more years to truly evaluate this draft" ... that's when I know we things up royally.

If we truly had a top notch draft like last year ... we KNOW it IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Like we did in 2002?

It isn't the quality of players I question - it's the philosophy of drafting them.

The only questionable pick is Hatcher. But anyone that gets compared to Richard Seymour should get a pass until we get to see him play. If he turns out that good, then isn't a good thing?

And considering we'll be running a 2 TE system next year TE was an actual NEED pick. Or did you think the career 15 catches by the TEs behing Witten would be a threat to opposing defenses? Fasano is a solid overall TE. It was thought he had a rod in his back. It's not a rod, it's a plate. Serious? Maybe. None of us really know what it means, we just hear "plate in his back" and think the worst possible thing.

I still don't think we are ready for BPA for the whole draft after the first pick, we just aren't good enough yet. Fill 2 needs on day one at least, not one.

If we only had ONE good WR, and drafted another one would you consider it a bad thing?

We're running a 2 TE system but only had ONE good TE. Fasano DOES fill a need.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
true, we aren't that team, but we already filled alot of needs in free agency , or should have, that allowed us to look elsewhere instead of being trapped in the position of picking strictly by need

Understood, if we are really going to run a 2 TE set as our base set, then our 2nd round pick can be seen as a pick of need. Remains to be seen if we will change our base sets on offense for this second round rookie, but if we do, then the pick is worth it.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Rack said:
If we only had ONE good WR, and drafted another one would you consider it a bad thing?

We're running a 2 TE system but only had ONE good TE. Fasano DOES fill a need.

Agreed, this post was made before I knew that we are supposed to be running a 2 TE base set. If that is the case, and JJ isn't just selling the 2 TE base set just to sell us on the pick, then I agree that it is a need. Drafting Fasano as a backup would have been a mistake, but if they are going to change our base set for this second round rookie, then the pick looks a whole lot better.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Bigdog24 said:
No because it was full of value picks

I could have six pack of Budweiser but lets take a twelve pack of Plan label instead....

Schaffer beats Budweiser almost every year in blind taste test.

Brand and marketing vs. true value blind unsuspecting comsumers all of the time.

kmd24

Reaction score
Rack said:
Fasano is a solid overall TE. It was thought he had a rod in his back. It's not a rod, it's a plate. Serious? Maybe. None of us really know what it means, we just hear "plate in his back" and think the worst possible thing.

My understanding of fusions (it was a fusion, right?) is that the fusion actually strengthens the back from a structural standpoint but causes a lack of flexibility.

Might not be a big deal, but we'd probably all feel better if he'd never needed it in the first place.

The thing I like about the pick is that it is the one area on offense where a player can have an immediate impact. Almost any other player on the board in the second round would be a backup at best. Fasano will most likely be playing on Sundays.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep_Freeze said:
Agreed, this post was made before I knew that we are supposed to be running a 2 TE base set. If that is the case, and JJ isn't just selling the 2 TE base set just to sell us on the pick, then I agree that it is a need. Drafting Fasano as a backup would have been a mistake, but if they are going to change our base set for this second round rookie, then the pick looks a whole lot better.

I think going to a 2-TE set is good.

To me, Fasano is already light years better than Polite. And that improves our offense immensely.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Jerry Jones and Bill Parcels drafted like they have already won the superbowl. Drafting project players in the 3rd a TE in the second and Carpenter in the 1st (that was ok).

But from a Fans point of view, I still remember getting whipped bye the SKINS TWICE. How the Cowboys could not cover anyone late in the season. How the OL couldn't stop anyone. They drafted who, think about that who did they draFT! Project players.

Now if they turn out to be the next Bill Bates, Reggie White or Jay Novacek then so be it, but can you aford to gamble with players when you can't even make in to the playoffs

Dalmations202

Reaction score
My opinion is that Jerry and Bill are old and senile.

They drafted two players in the top three that are at positions that force them later to admit that one of their draft picks was a BUST, and arguably all three of them. TE, then Pierce or Whitten (we know not), Fascano or Ryan will never start. Either that or they busted in FA with Hamman.

At DE, they have Spears, Canty, Ratliff, Ellis. Then they draft a DE. Either Spears, Canty, or Ratliff are a BUST, or they wouldn't have drafted a DE.

At LB, they have Ware, James, Burnett, and recently inked young Akin -- as well as Shanle. They either busted with one of them, or Carpenter shouldn't have been a need. (This may have been a good pick, but it is still admitting a draft or FA BUST)

I personally believe you draft starters, or to replace starters, not backups.

Now everyone who thinks Dallas has had a great draft day -- let me be Jerry for a few minutes. I have lots and lots of ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. It is beautiful, and the fish always bite. There is plenty of depth to start a business off the docks. No traffic, no polution, just a paradise, and we only charge 250K an acre, and we have all the acres you could ever want. Just buy it now.

Back to me now: Why would you draft two people from positions of strength on the team? RB and QB should be next as far as how they have drafted so far.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalmations202 said:
My opinion is that Jerry and Bill are old and senile.

They drafted two players in the top three that are at positions that force them later to admit that one of their draft picks was a BUST, and arguably all three of them. TE, then Pierce or Whitten (we know not), Fascano or Ryan will never start. Either that or they busted in FA with Hamman.

At DE, they have Spears, Canty, Ratliff, Ellis. Then they draft a DE. Either Spears, Canty, or Ratliff are a BUST, or they wouldn't have drafted a DE.

At LB, they have Ware, James, Burnett, and recently inked young Akin -- as well as Shanle. They either busted with one of them, or Carpenter shouldn't have been a need. (This may have been a good pick, but it is still admitting a draft or FA BUST)

I personally believe you draft starters, or to replace starters, not backups.

Now everyone who thinks Dallas has had a great draft day -- let me be Jerry for a few minutes. I have lots and lots of ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. It is beautiful, and the fish always bite. There is plenty of depth to start a business off the docks. No traffic, no polution, just a paradise, and we only charge 250K an acre, and we have all the acres you could ever want. Just buy it now.

Back to me now: Why would you draft two people from positions of strength on the team? RB and QB should be next as far as how they have drafted so far.

Dallas did draft two starters...

:rolleyes:

CoCo

Reaction score
Max-Jean Gilles

Did see that while he is considered a talent that he is purely straight ahead, gets beat by quickness & speed and can't pull. We just released that guy a month or so ago.

As soon as I read Gilles profile I figured he would not be a fit here.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Word Mofo said:
Jeff Ireland says we went best player available on every round on the first day, and will continue to do so on the second day. Maybe that explains some of our picks

but but but...we're moving to a (2) TE set - so we *needed* a TE...

and the TE we get is a parcells wet dream of players he can simply no longer pull in, so he takes their younger clone instead.

sorry - which is it? are we moving to a planned (2) TE set, and then we drafted for "need" or did we take BPA and the (2) TE set is an after-the-fact answer for fans?

there's a lie in here somewhere. : )

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
We didn't need to draft a TE, we signed a pretty good one from Seattle so you can put your tired song to rest.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
We didn't need to draft a TE, we signed a pretty good one from Seattle so you can put your tired song to rest.

the "he's a bavaro!!!" screams bp wanted mark probably, but he got reminded during the basket weaving class as the old-coaches home that bavaro was too old, so bp said "find me an italian that looks like him and we'll do it!"

that bill will find a way to get BP players on his team. : )

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
iceberg said:
the "he's a bavaro!!!" screams bp wanted mark probably, but he got reminded during the basket weaving class as the old-coaches home that bavaro was too old, so bp said "find me an italian that looks like him and we'll do it!"

that bill will find a way to get BP players on his team. : )
It is apparent that all of your angst is centered on bashing BP and Fas is just your mechanism. Needless to say we had two good TE prior to the draft and with the selection of the BPA we now have 3. Hav ing a lot of good players is a good thing, is it not?