All BPA, per Ireland on the Ticket

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
brewers47 said:
If Hatcher was the BPA i am almost scared to see what happens tomorrow
You should be. As should the rest of the league. More home runs like the Hatcher pick, we will have a shut down D before long.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
You can only go by demonstrated ability. The Lacewell/Jones connection failed miserably after our championship runs, if you can't see that then I don't know what to say to convince you otherwise.

As far as the new regime, they have improved the team each year they have been here and I don't see that changing with this draft.

It is your right to complain but ask yourself are you complaining because you are ignorant or is it justifiable. Most here never heard of the players so instead of investigating who they are, they just pulled out the umbrellas and proclaimed the sky is falling. I rather take in the information (scouting reports/pre-season/regular season) before I draw my conclusions.

Ireland and CO have been here one year - their first, no doubt, they did a phenomenal job.

But there hasn't been a move this offseason that hasn't been scrutinized, and that will continue to be.

I had never heard of Hatcher before the pick, but I had heard of Fasano.

From what I can gather, they are good players, and maybe we did consider them BPA. It isn't the quality of players I question - it's the philosophy of drafting them.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I still don't think we are ready for BPA for the whole draft after the first pick, we just aren't good enough yet. Fill 2 needs on day one at least, not one.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Ireland was here lacewells last year he was just not the main guy he was promoted from within.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
As far as the new regime, they have improved the team each year they have been here and I don't see that changing with this draft.

It is your right to complain but ask yourself are you complaining because you are ignorant or is it justifiable. Most here never heard of the players so instead of investigating who they are, they just pulled out the umbrellas and proclaimed the sky is falling. I rather take in the information (scouting reports/pre-season/regular season) before I draw my conclusions.

Bill's first year we scraped a playoff spot. The second year we punked out the last 4-5 games. So your reason for saying we improved each year is what again?

Manster also asked why we droped on Hatcher like a pile of bricks when we hadn't seen him play. Maybe because we did watch wining teams with better players that were still available. Draw your conclusions as you will. I was disappointed with our first pick but believe he has some talent. I think our FA TE from Seattle was a better player for two tight ends formations. I hope our second round pick can do at least as well if we keep 4 TEs this year. The third round pick is just a mystery to me. Can he play special teams or lead block on third and five from the five?

Tommorow is depth and special team players day. That is why I am so disapointed with todays draft, we already got our depth and special teamers on day 1.

Eddie

Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:
Bill's first year we scraped a playoff spot. The second year we punked out the last 4-5 games. So your reason for saying we improved each year is what again?

Manster also asked why we droped on Hatcher like a pile of bricks when we hadn't seen him play. Maybe because we did watch wining teams with better players that were still available. Draw your conclusions as you will. I was disappointed with our first pick but believe he has some talent. I think our FA TE from Seattle was a better player for two tight ends formations. I hope our second round pick can do at least as well if we keep 4 TEs this year. The third round pick is just a mystery to me. Can he play special teams or lead block on third and five from the five?

Tommorow is depth and special team players day. That is why I am so disapointed with todays draft, we already got our depth and special teamers on day 1.

Same reason I'm disappointed. Day 1 is meant for starters and impact players. Not sure we found any impact players.

I'm sure Carpenter will have a long, undistinguished career as just another OLB.

Fasano will battle for the 2nd TE spot ... and if he loses out, he'll sit the pine.

Hatcher is another developmental type ... though, I had expected us to start with the experimentals AFTER the 4th round. Not the 3rd.

I'm not holding my breath for any super stars on Sunday. If we draft for the unspectacular, that's what we get.

I'm not sure too many playoff and Super Bowl teams were built around an OLB, a backup TE, and a developmental DE.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Merlin said:
Taking a TE in the 2nd is absurd. Makes no sense at all and I am not even sure he was anywhere close to a BPA.
I guess you either believe Ireland and Jerry Jones or you don't. Clearly we know where you stand. As for drafting the BPA, we did have an outstanding crop of free agents added to our roster already this off season. The bottom line, our roster has been upgraded big time in the last year. We are considered super bowl contenders. Ireland and JJ are making the moves they feel necessary. While every addition isn't a home run, overall their track record is damn impressive since BP and JJ got serious a year ago.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eddie said:
I'm not sure too many playoff and Super Bowl teams were built around an OLB, a backup TE, and a developmental DE.
Me either. I'm just happy as hell we didn't get any of those.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Rick Gosselin, whose Top 100 rankings have been BY FAR the most accurate each season, ranked Carpenter 18th overall, Fasano 54th overall and Hatcher 88th overall. We took Carpenter 18th, Fasano 53rd and Hatcher 92nd -- almost exactly where they should have gone.

Well then....why don't we just let Gosselin do the drafting for us? Perhaps he is.

Shoot, why doesn't the NFL just let Gosselin decide who goes where in the NFL? :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimz31 said:
Well then....why don't we just let Gosselin do the drafting for us? Perhaps he is.

Shoot, why doesn't the NFL just let Gosselin decide who goes where in the NFL? :D

Or we could have fans on message boards do it for the boys. :laugh2:

Mash

Reaction score
When we draft high......we seem to have better drafts....coincidence?

When we draft in the late teens or 20's......we struggle it seems.....

or better yet....we can give Parcells the Campo and trade 2 firsts for a Galloway.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Definately not a sexy draft. Time will tell if it is a good draft.

For all the people saying fill a need you can't take straight BPA, realize that a teams board is build with need in mind also. You shouldn't take a player that you consider much lesser because he fills a need. If you have Fasano rated at a certian level and the next player you need is rated lower, after likely being adjusted upward, then your reaching to fill a hole.

Fred Smith

Benched
Reaction score
I'm not going to be so quick to criticize the first day picks. I've been a fan long enough to know we went into one draft needing cornerbacks - and drafted Dwayne Goodrich, Kareem Larrimore, and Mario Edwards - all CBs. Only problem was, none of them could play. We went into another draft needing offensive linemen and picked Jacob Rogers in the 2nd round and Stephen Peterman in the 3rd round. Only problem was, neither could play.....maybe it's better to get guys in here who can play, rather than guys who can't, just simply because we need a certain position.

VTEXPRESS

Reaction score
Bigdog24 said:
No because it was full of value picks

I could have six pack of Budweiser but lets take a twelve pack of Plan label instead....

I don't drink but, wouldn't the plain twelve pack get you drunker?
I thought that's what drinking was all about.

And far as value goes, how do you determine who is the higher value players?
I would love to see YOUR value board. How long have you been a scout?
How much tape of prospects have you watched?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:

Gosselin has enough good sources to find out how teams have players ranked and where they're going to be drafted. If Gosselin ranks a guy 54th or 88th, there's a good chance that player is going to be drafted right around that spot, because that's about where a lot of teams have him ranked.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Or we could have fans on message boards do it for the boys. :laugh2:

I'm liking the idea, a football team owned, paid for, and run by the fans. :D

Or, we could have a football team that people buy stock in. The more stock you own, the more say-so you have in the team.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Gosselin has enough good sources to find out how teams have players ranked and where they're going to be drafted. If Gosselin ranks a guy 54th or 88th, there's a good chance that player is going to be drafted right around that spot, because that's about where a lot of teams have him ranked.

All you have to do to figure that out is look at his top 100, out of the 97 picks made, 88 of them were on his top 100 list Thats about 91% accuracy

Death Star

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Rick Gosselin, whose Top 100 rankings have been BY FAR the most accurate each season, ranked Carpenter 18th overall, Fasano 54th overall and Hatcher 88th overall. We took Carpenter 18th, Fasano 53rd and Hatcher 92nd -- almost exactly where they should have gone.

Here's the thing though, here's some players from Gosselin's top 100 list who will still be available on day 2 and are ranked less than 92 (when we picked the 88th ranked Hatcher):

56. Demetrius Willaims WR
57. Max Jean-Gilles OG
58. Ko Simpson FS
67. Victor Adeyanju DE
70. Gabe Watson DT
73. Kyle Williams DT
80. Darnell Bing SS
89. Parys Haralson DE

No doubt that list was much more robust when we took Fasano in the 2nd round, with players available at that point that were rated higher than Fasano at 54.

So, while it would be accurate to say we picked players that were close to their projected value on Gosselin's list, technically speaking we did not pick the BPA at each spot, simply the closest pick to our actual pick. If we had gotten D. Williams or better yet Jean-Gilles or Simpson in round 3, then it would have been the BPA from Gosselin's list.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
overfiend60 said:
Here's the thing though, here's some players from Gosselin's top 100 list who will still be available on day 2 and are less than 92 (when we picked the 88th ranked Hatcher):

56. Demetrius Willaims WR
57. Max Jean-Gilles OG
58. Ko Simpson FS
67. Victor Adeyanju DE
70. Gabe Watson DT
73. Kyle Williams DT
80. Darnell Bing SS
89. Parys Haralson DE

No doubt that list was much more robust when we took Fasano in the 2nd round, with players available at that point that were rated higher than Fasano at 54.

So, while it would be accurate to say we picked players that were close to their projected value on Gosselin's list, technically speaking we did not pick the BPA at each spot, simply the closest pick to our actual pick. If we had gotten D. Williams or better yet Jean-Gilles in round 3, then it would have been the BPA.

But you are looking at an average of what teams think a player is rated at not where every team to the T. You also have to rember some teams will take a guy off the board who is very talented because of off the field; medical concerns or because they think he is a knuckle head or what ever reason. So on Dallas board Williams ranking may have not been rated higher because of off the field trouble etc.

Now if we drafted a guy rated 88 by 99% of the league and we take him at 54 then we reached if there is a guy rated 48 and 53 on Goose board but the guy ranked 48 is not on the board for what ever reason but the guy we ranked in that round is there and you draft him he is your BPA.