All or Nothing: Dallas Cowboys

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
Sorry if this post comes off as "jerk-like" its not my intention but for some posters to think that Amazon was going to be allowed to publish sensitive information from strategy and assignment meetings is pretty unrealistic. Why on Earth would the organization allow any of those types of meetings to be filmed? Why would the organization allow any information that might give your opponent an edge to be published so that it might used against you in the future? I am sure the organization had final say as to what was allowed for publication and what wasn't. So the funny video clips the coaches showed were probably mixed into long and intense meetings to break up the monotony. And that was all the Cowboys would let them show from said meetings. To anyone who expected more of an inside look than you'd get on Hard Knocks I just think maybe your expectations were too high.

*There were some great moments showing Sean Lee especially going over assignments with other players, much like a Teacher's Assistant would in upper level academic courses. Hence why he is the QB of the defense. As well as him questioning Joe Baker about assignments, the dude is amazing and I agree, he'll make an excellent DC some day. Having said that, that does not mean that the DC and assistant coaches weren't also going over these assignments as well. Group teaching and self teaching is a teaching strategy that has become very popular in the last 20 years, not that is didn't exist before but it has been expanded upon and this could be an example of that.

*Orlando Scandrick really impressed me as a person. I never really liked him before in interviews (I didn't watch husband of Hollywood or whatever show he was on). His leadership qualities are awesome, too bad his physical capability is fading.

*Dez Bryant comes off as a little bit too emotional. He let's things get to him too easy, and takes his failures too hard. I don't know if that's the reality but that was my feeling of the situation and then when we see the way he reacted after being released (not in the show), he let his emotions control his behaviors a little too much, and that effects his focus. I feel for the guy because it appears his heart is always in the right place and he is often misunderstood, but I am sure it was very difficult to deal with every day,and not know which Dez was coming to work each day.

*As a former teacher I can tell you repetition is very important. Like was mentioned in the show, the guys who excel on the field are the guys who can just go play without thinking of assignments, that stuff needs to be muscle memory so your mind can focus on winning your 1 on 1 battle, not what your assignment is supposed to be. Also you must remember these guys are all pretty young/impressionable and have a ton of things trying to influence them, so the coach's use of repeating inspirational phrases is trying to keep them on track and their focus on the task at hand. The fact that these guys appear to just be sitting there waiting for the meeting to end doesn't mean that they haven't absorbed the information. And that's where repetition helps, if they didn't get it the first time maybe they will they next time. Plus, these guys get pounded every day, something has got to keep them motivated as they're bodies and mind are being pushed to the limit. That can be very taxing on them, so they will need to grasp on to something to keep them going and get them to dig deep and strive to get better every day. I am pretty sure this type of inspirational motivation is pretty common place in the NFL, just look how common it is in corporate America.

After watching the series I am glad to see a cleaning house of the assistant coaches, I think some were enabling unproductive behavior andaothers were treating the players like robots neithernis in the best interest of the team.
Also, it appears JG is following his own advice and building the team he wants to coach, and that includes the coaching staff.

cern

Reaction score
Has anybody watched the Amazon Prime exclusive, “All or Nothing: Dallas Cowboys”?

What was your take away from that show? Anything you did like? Didn’t like? Was there any assumptions you had that were confirmed?
Jerry is trying hard to get Amazon to build their new multi billion dollar headquarters here. Again, another good business decision by the Wiley one. Hope he succeeds. Bought 125 acres in the area three years ago when the star was in progress. Amazon would be the icing on the cake.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
But Dooley was one of "his guys." They both coached for Saban at Miami.

So it sounds like classic Garrett. He hires someone and it's, "Oh boy, here's a good coach, he's a Garrett Guy."

Then a couple of years later, the story is that guy wasn't good enough and wasn't on board enough so he has to go.

Rinse and repeat in two or three years. (And the same with a bunch of our players, too.)

Meanwhile Politician Red still sits at the top and grins (and spits and F-bombs).

I have no idea if all of the defections were directly related to Garrett issues but your point is well taken regardless.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But Dooley was one of "his guys." They both coached for Saban at Miami.

So it sounds like classic Garrett. He hires someone and it's, "Oh boy, here's a good coach, he's a Garrett Guy."

Then a couple of years later, the story is that guy wasn't good enough and wasn't on board enough so he has to go.

Rinse and repeat in two or three years. (And the same with a bunch of our players, too.)

Meanwhile Politician Red still sits at the top and grins (and spits and F-bombs).

When did Garrett say any of that?

Big D

Reaction score
I'm sure lots of stuff was omitted but I would've liked to have seen more elaboration after the falcon game where they left Chaz on an island alone with no mention of why they felt the need to do nothing. They strangely glossed over that and when they chose to try passing for the TD from inside the 5 instead of pounding it like the supposed philosophy dictates.
I was surprised at just how much JG preaches his pound the rock philosophy because it seems like they do everything they can on gameday to get away from the run game in key situations. I was also surprised at Oscans leadership. In losing him, Dez, and Witten it seems as though we've lost all of the leaders on the team so it'll be interesting to see the new leaders emerge.

On Dez, what happened to all of the support that was supposed to be there for him? Was Calvin hill just a one year thing? Noone seemed to be helping him cope with obvious issues. It seemed like they were just dealing with him without any plan for managing what seems to be at best a mild disorder.

On a side note I was surprised at Jerras grandsons play. I know they can make you look like an allstar with editing but he really did seem to be balling out. It will be interesting following his progress through college the ranks.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Sorry if this post comes off as "jerk-like" its not my intention but for some posters to think that Amazon was going to be allowed to publish sensitive information from strategy and assignment meetings is pretty unrealistic. Why on Earth would the organization allow any of those types of meetings to be filmed? Why would the organization allow any information that might give your opponent an edge to be published so that it might used against you in the future? I am sure the organization had final say as to what was allowed for publication and what wasn't. So the funny video clips the coaches showed were probably mixed into long and intense meetings to break up the monotony. And that was all the Cowboys would let them show from said meetings. To anyone who expected more of an inside look than you'd get on Hard Knocks I just think maybe your expectations were too high.

*There were some great moments showing Sean Lee especially going over assignments with other players, much like a Teacher's Assistant would in upper level academic courses. Hence why he is the QB of the defense. As well as him questioning Joe Baker about assignments, the dude is amazing and I agree, he'll make an excellent DC some day. Having said that, that does not mean that the DC and assistant coaches weren't also going over these assignments as well. Group teaching and self teaching is a teaching strategy that has become very popular in the last 20 years, not that is didn't exist before but it has been expanded upon and this could be an example of that.

*Orlando Scandrick really impressed me as a person. I never really liked him before in interviews (I didn't watch husband of Hollywood or whatever show he was on). His leadership qualities are awesome, too bad his physical capability is fading.

*Dez Bryant comes off as a little bit too emotional. He let's things get to him too easy, and takes his failures too hard. I don't know if that's the reality but that was my feeling of the situation and then when we see the way he reacted after being released (not in the show), he let his emotions control his behaviors a little too much, and that effects his focus. I feel for the guy because it appears his heart is always in the right place and he is often misunderstood, but I am sure it was very difficult to deal with every day,and not know which Dez was coming to work each day.

*As a former teacher I can tell you repetition is very important. Like was mentioned in the show, the guys who excel on the field are the guys who can just go play without thinking of assignments, that stuff needs to be muscle memory so your mind can focus on winning your 1 on 1 battle, not what your assignment is supposed to be. Also you must remember these guys are all pretty young/impressionable and have a ton of things trying to influence them, so the coach's use of repeating inspirational phrases is trying to keep them on track and their focus on the task at hand. The fact that these guys appear to just be sitting there waiting for the meeting to end doesn't mean that they haven't absorbed the information. And that's where repetition helps, if they didn't get it the first time maybe they will they next time. Plus, these guys get pounded every day, something has got to keep them motivated as they're bodies and mind are being pushed to the limit. That can be very taxing on them, so they will need to grasp on to something to keep them going and get them to dig deep and strive to get better every day. I am pretty sure this type of inspirational motivation is pretty common place in the NFL, just look how common it is in corporate America.

After watching the series I am glad to see a cleaning house of the assistant coaches, I think some were enabling unproductive behavior andaothers were treating the players like robots neithernis in the best interest of the team.
Also, it appears JG is following his own advice and building the team he wants to coach, and that includes the coaching staff.

"As a former teacher I can tell you repetition is very important." so very true!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
My three takeaways.

1. Losing Rich Bisaccia is a big loss. He seems like a guy who had the players attention as much as the head coach.

2. I loved the footage of linehan explaining in detail how Rod Smith was to run the route and how linehan told him I am going
to call this play. It was the huge td to smith in the giants game.

3. Jason Witten is the last mohican. If he retires all the leaders are gone. Only Lee remains. That is an area that has to be completely redone and organically. Most likely it will be the o line and lee. The team is going to be younger than it has been since I can remember. that means there will be all kinds of growing pains. Also if the offense is going to change maybe witten knows he will not be as much as a fit and understands this is more than a 1 year process. Hard to turn down 4 years and 4.5 million a year for a mnf gig in this situation.

I wish dez and wittens last home game was not that awful seattle game. I also hope Jason Witten gets what Tony Romo and Demarcus ware did not get and that is a proper press conference with the media to announce his retirement and talk about his career. Its a travesty ware and romo didnt get that.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Why on Earth would the organization allow any of those types of meetings to be filmed? Why would the organization allow any information that might give your opponent an edge to be published so that it might used against you in the future?

jerry-jones.jpg

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why would the organization allow any information that might give your opponent an edge to be published so that it might used against you in the future?

I don't think how any opponent could watch this horror show and get an "advantage" out of it. We give them all the advantages they could possibly need.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
My three takeaways.

1. Losing Rich Bisaccia is a big loss. He seems like a guy who had the players attention as much as the head coach.

2. I loved the footage of linehan explaining in detail how Rod Smith was to run the route and how linehan told him I am going
to call this play. It was the huge td to smith in the giants game.

3. Jason Witten is the last mohican. If he retires all the leaders are gone. Only Lee remains. That is an area that has to be completely redone and organically. Most likely it will be the o line and lee. The team is going to be younger than it has been since I can remember. that means there will be all kinds of growing pains. Also if the offense is going to change maybe witten knows he will not be as much as a fit and understands this is more than a 1 year process. Hard to turn down 4 years and 4.5 million a year for a mnf gig in this situation.

I wish dez and wittens last home game was not that awful seattle game. I also hope Jason Witten gets what Tony Romo and Demarcus ware did not get and that is a proper press conference with the media to announce his retirement and talk about his career. Its a travesty ware and romo didnt get that.

Teams are constantly evolving. Player's careers are short. Dak and Frederick are natural leaders and embrace the role on offense.

Witten leaving does create a void for the receiver corps but at the same time watching All or Nothing Dez was the last person you want around when adversity hits when leadership is needed most. it's not all bad.

Him complaining that Dooley criticized a bad play and begging for complaiments made my stomach turn.

cern

Reaction score
It would not shock me if Dez is bi-polar.
The most important period of human development is childhood . Dez had a horrible childhood. No father and a crack using mom. His need of attention and desire to be loved (respected) are merely a cry from a child that got neither. Calvin hill was not trained to deal with these issues. Dez has psychological issues, not medical .

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a good show. I’d recommend it for anybody who has access and hasn’t seen it yet.

It looks to me, unsurprisingly, that people are going to read into it whatever fits their preconceived notions anyway, but the show does explode a lot of things people around here have foolishly believed to be true for no actual reasons for a long time.

Of course, if you’re looking for something to hate on, there’s plenty of room to just shift over to another unsubstantiated version of what you already believed, so nobody really needs to worry about changing an agenda just because your old version was inconvenient to the facts or anything. It’s safe that way.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Players seem to ignore Garrett for the most part. His clapping and repeating of rote motivational phrases is not inspiring. Coaches are toothless. One scene in particular had the RB coach pissed off and complaining about Zeke. Coach said he was "sick of this bull****" but then in the next scene he's practically giving Zeke a hug and a lollipop. Don't even get me started on the girl's blouse that is the WR coach! Defensive meetings before gametime had a conspicuous absence of Marinelli. Sean Lee ran the whole meeting and did all of the talking. I guess Rod is there to show funny Youtube videos to the defense. And every time we laid an egg here comes Jerry to the postgame meeting to talk about how good the boys are and gee-whiz, it wasn't their fault or some such crap.

My God...how did we win 9?

After the loss to the Broncos and when he is haranguing them for getting their ***** kicked the players cringing fromm what he's showing them. Sean Lee is staring at the screen wringing his hands. The receivers are shoulders stooped and looking at the screen from their hands.

heir

Reaction score
I noticed this too!! I wonder if it is like that across the league though? Most the players in the league are young and we all know how exciting "class" can be when you're an adolescent.

Not making excuses for them, just stating a possibility.
This is probably the same in any team room in the NFL. It's not surprising at all and I'm sure you all have heard the stories of players falling asleep in meetings. It doesn't happen just in Dallas.