All or Nothing: Dallas Cowboys

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Peanuts: I cannot believe Jerry and Steven sit in on coaches meetings.
Fuzzy: They are the GM and PP exec and all teams are like that.
Peanuts:They are not football people.
Fuzzy: They are NFL owners who are on top NFL committees. They have been voted top executives by PFWA. Bill Parcells has praised their acumen.
Peanuts: Parcells sold out.
Fuzzy: Parcells doesn't sell out. He says what he means.
Peanuts: 23 years!!!!!! FIRE HIM!!!!!

It seems every exchange about Jerry Jones devolves as such. And then people get mad at me when I call it group think.

I laugh at that "they are not football people" line. Maybe you could use that 20 years ago.. but dang, how many years of experience does one have to have to be a football person? I also look around the league and see the "real football GMs" like in Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, Houston, Tampa Bay, LAC, etc and the moves they make, and I am pretty happy we don't have 'football people" running the show if that is what that looks like. It's been pretty obvious to anyone that cared to look but the Cowboys are not being ran like a Madden team any longer. This is Stephen's, McClay's and Garrett's show.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I enjoyed the series a lot. I agree with other posters that whatever you felt going into watching, it was not going to change that. If you hated JG, then you would find things to still hate about him, or Jerry or whoever, same with people that Like JG, like myself.

1. If Rich B is not a head coach in the near future, something about the NFL is just wrong. Dude was awesome from what I saw.
2. I was shocked at how intense JG is. I can see why the team plays hard every week
3. Sean Lee is destined to be a coach in this league.
4. Dez was all over the place.. I see why he was cut and i don't think it was all about his salary or play
5. The most telling part for me in regards to Dez was after the one on one battle at the end of practice. Everyone else was focused and listening to the coach speak and Dez was just walking in circles. After 8 years in the NFL, the man still can't control his emotions.
6. I really like the spunk that Lewis showed in that clip mentioned in 5. He lost the battle with Dez but he didn't back down and he collected himself when it was over.
7. Zeke looked uninterested in 2017 for the most part. I hope it was just the suspension battle.
8. Dooley was a tool and needed to be fired.
9. I like how the coaches use things out of the ordinary to drive home points they are making, i.e. the championship belt, the funny video's etc.
10. I still laugh at the video used to highlight "you play how you practice". I played football for nearly 14 years and i heard that every day during the season. So to hear it and then see how they illustrated that, just made me laugh hard.

All in all, a fun series to watch. I wish they would do this every year for the fans to really get to see and be a part of the team.
Honestly, what did you like about JG in that documentary

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sean Lee is the best coach on our staff without a doubt. Its crazy. He runs the meetings and asks the players what they are going to do in x,y,z situation while Marinelli is putting together clips of people getting trampled by bulls and Elephants. Whenever Lee retires that dude will become our Defensive coordinator.

Nah. Before he retires, Fox Sports will offer him millions to be part of its No. 1 football team. This appears to be where old Cowboys are put out to pasture now.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I laugh at that "they are not football people" line. Maybe you could use that 20 years ago.. but dang, how many years of experience does one have to have to be a football person? I also look around the league and see the "real football GMs" like in Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, Houston, Tampa Bay, LAC, etc and the moves they make, and I am pretty happy we don't have 'football people" running the show if that is what that looks like. It's been pretty obvious to anyone that cared to look but the Cowboys are not being ran like a Madden team any longer. This is Stephen's, McClay's and Garrett's show.

I can work at a hospital for 20 years but that doesn't make me a surgeon. Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Washington and Houston have fired their GM for lack of performance over the last 23 years. Houston, Tampa Bay and the Chargers have had more playoff success than the Cowboys over that time span.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I can work at a hospital for 20 years but that doesn't make me a surgeon. Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Washington and Houston have fired their GM for lack of performance over the last 23 years. Houston, Tampa Bay and the Chargers have had more playoff success than the Cowboys over that time span.

So which one of those rosters are you willing to swap out for the roster of the Cowboys.? Houston plays in the worst division in Football and can barley win 9 games a year. Tampa hasn't won a playoff game since their SB in 03, and only been to 1 play off game since. San Diego (LAC) is really the only team you mentioned with any type of playoff success. The point is, that our GM is just as good as anyone elses. They make mistakes, they evaluate and make bad decisions. The do bad trades, etc. But after two decades of doing a job, I would be stupid to think someone didn't learn something.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Honestly, what did you like about JG in that documentary

I mentioned it, how intense he was. You can believe it was all phony, that's fine, I don't. I think it rubs off on the players. You can say the players were tuning him out but one of the best parts of the series is when he was dogging on the PS Defense and when he walked, Orlando tells them to hold up and gives them a little rant that pretty much mirrored what JG was saying. I like the connection he has with Dak, the after practice competitions, etc. No that doesn't go to x and o stuff but it builds relationships and that is part of his job, especially with the QB. I liked how he addressed his coaches at the end of it.. I appreciate all the effort during a trying season but guys I have a vision and a message and if you aren't on board with that, you can't be here. Like him or hate him, this is his team. He will be defined by what this team does and he knows it. I never got the sense that he was a puppet or a yes man, in fact, just the opposite. As a fan, I would have loved to seen the in depth player discussions and the game planning meetings. Of course, I understand why they didn't do that. But given the small sample size of what we got to see with JG, I thought he came off well.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I mentioned it, how intense he was. You can believe it was all phony, that's fine, I don't. I think it rubs off on the players. You can say the players were tuning him out but one of the best parts of the series is when he was dogging on the PS Defense and when he walked, Orlando tells them to hold up and gives them a little rant that pretty much mirrored what JG was saying. I like the connection he has with Dak, the after practice competitions, etc. No that doesn't go to x and o stuff but it builds relationships and that is part of his job, especially with the QB. I liked how he addressed his coaches at the end of it.. I appreciate all the effort during a trying season but guys I have a vision and a message and if you aren't on board with that, you can't be here. Like him or hate him, this is his team. He will be defined by what this team does and he knows it. I never got the sense that he was a puppet or a yes man, in fact, just the opposite. As a fan, I would have loved to seen the in depth player discussions and the game planning meetings. Of course, I understand why they didn't do that. But given the small sample size of what we got to see with JG, I thought he came off well.
I like this. Good post. Agree, or not - good post.
Made me think.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Oh I forgot,, how emotional he got at the end with Witt.. you can tell he really cares and respects Witt, who has been a warrior for this team for 15 years. That got me emotional as well.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I respect the reply. Seems like you like a lot of the talking that he does. He’s very good at that which I never questioned. It’s everything else

Creeper

Reaction score
I am only through the first episode but I caution everyone to remember that you are seeing what the producers want you to see. In the very first episode, Dez appears to be a disruptive influence on meetings. The other receivers look tired of his antics when he challenges the coach over the way he describes the Broncos defense. But I am not sure this is just editing or if this is really who Dez is. At least he pays attention in meetings. It was hard to watch the Cowboys get pulverized by the Broncos again.

Garrett was more involved in coaching than I expected. It looks like he tries to motivate players by being their buddy. I think he drops a lot of f-bombs because he thinks players can relate to him better. I'd rather see him take the approach where he is the coach and the players are the players. They must respect his position. He's not there to make friends. He's their to do a job and that's coach the players to a Super Bowl.

Maybe I will change my tune as I get more into it.

One more thought. Jerry Jones is a very wealthy man and I wish there was no salary cap because I have no doubt he would spend a billion dollars to build a winning team..

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I respect the reply. Seems like you like a lot of the talking that he does. He’s very good at that which I never questioned. It’s everything else

Well we didn't get to see 'everything else" on the series and I was talking strictly about the series. I do like JG as a coach but that is not what this thread is about so I won't get into that debate here.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Sean Lee exposes a defensive flaw in one of their defensive play calls vs the opponents offensive play calls during the game. Dissects immediately afterwards, with a coach on sidelines, and he says something like.."this play call is asking me to be in two places at once." Very smart football player.

Last edited:

birdwells1

Reaction score

I watched the part about the practice squad players and that defined this teams culture in a nutshell. How can a group of guys (ps players) who are barely on the team think for a moment that they can give half effort? I watched with my wife and on that part, I told her that "this is the reason that we don't compete for championships", JG shouldn't have to spend 10 minutes telling ps players about their effort, just cut them. Do you think Belichick has this issue? I'm not necessarily blaming JG but I think JJ sets the culture at the star and it's definitely a country club atmosphere.

Personally that Star practice facility is way to nice for a football team that is serious about winning championships, I know that it sounds crazy but it's just like ATT Stadium, it wasn't made to give the Cowboys an advantage on the field it was made to give JJ an advantage in attracting money generating events.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I watched the part about the practice squad players and that defined this teams culture in a nutshell. How can a group of guys (ps players) who are barely on the team think for a moment that they can give half effort? I watched with my wife and on that part, I told her that "this is the reason that we don't compete for championships", JG shouldn't have to spend 10 minutes telling ps players about their effort, just cut them. Do you think Belichick has this issue? I'm not necessarily blaming JG but I think JJ sets the culture at the star and it's definitely a country club atmosphere.

Personally that Star practice facility is way to nice for a football team that is serious about winning championships, I know that it sounds crazy but it's just like ATT Stadium, it wasn't made to give the Cowboys an advantage on the field it was made to give JJ an advantage in attracting money generating events.
I have no argument.

ESisback

Reaction score
Most of us have been to a gentleman’s club without making the news or being accused of an unlawful action.

Agreed, although WE don't have salivating "journalists" dramatizing every sideways fart on social media 24/7. Instant "news" molds perception. JFK was worse than Bill Clinton-/they just didn't report it, and people also weren't so overreactive.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Seeing how Zeke is really bummed me out. He has the POTENTIAL to be great but not with the attitude and work ethic he displayed here. Dude is relying solely on physical prowess and talent. Once it starts to fade he's done. Guys with a tremendous work ethic and obsession to be better (Jerry Rice, Sean Lee, Reggie White, Nolan Arenado, Michael Jordan) have longer careers and compete at the highest levels for a lonnng time. Dak seems to be one of these types of guys...you can just tell by the look in his eyes and the way he pays attention when info is being given out. I didn't see that same spark with Zeke.

Do you think that the whole suspension thing might have been affecting him. In one segment Brown asked him what was wrong and he stated that he wasn’t getting any sleep. In another segment Brown stayed in a coaches meeting Zeke was emotional drained.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I was bug supported if the staff until mid-2016. Watching the first episode I was actually impressed by Garrett and was hopeful. However, watching the next 7 episodes I have less confidence in them now than I did prior to watching the show.

I could not agree more!