News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It is stunning that such an amazingly tight run ship in Dallas that these things continue to leak. Typically they let nothing slip.
Does anyone think that this might have been leaked on purpose? It gets the team back in the headlines before camp, it "justifies" picking certain players where they were picked, and it seems to keep happening mysteriously.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'll say it.

Forget what you personally think of Ramsey and how you think DBs drafted high bust.

If Ramsey was truly the #2 rated prospect on our board and given the need we have for playmakers on defense, we should have taken Ramsey over Elliott. I get Elliott if you had him the clear #1 and then Ramsey was say 10th on your board, or even 5th. But if you had Ramsey that high which appears to be there with Elliott, when you factor in need, I think they should have gone with Ramsey.

But the difference between the 1 and 2 spots could be way off. Elliott could be 1 but way ahead of any player and some one has to be 2. I have no problem with Elliott over Ramsey.......and I wanted Ramsey

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ramsey is a much better prospect than Jones (who I love) and we need 4 guys back there. We were heavy in the Zeke camp which I understand.

What I don't understand is if Elliott was our #1 guy we should have been THRILLED to draft him at 4. Instead, we doubt ourselves and call Baltimore to try to trade down. I wish we had more confidence in our rankings and if not, get new guys in there to do the rankings. We had a higher grade on Kendall Fuller that Collins but opted for Collins....and whoever had Maliek Colllins ahead of William Jackson and Keanu Neal should be fired yesterday.

That stood out to me too.

Conklin too. They had him with a late 2nd round grade. Just don't see that.

Sydla

Reaction score
But the difference between the 1 and 2 spots could be way off. Elliott could be 1 but way ahead of any player and some one has to be 2. I have no problem with Elliott over Ramsey.......and I wanted Ramsey

I doubt that the gap was so massive given the fact the Cowboys did admit they were entertaining offers for that pick but decided against it due to some low ball offers.

If you have a guy that is rated so far ahead of everyone in the draft to the point he's a generational talent, you don't even contemplate trading the pick. But it seems from most indications if the Cowboys had gotten a fair offer from say Baltimore, they'd have moved that pick.

erod

Reaction score
Nope, you didn't have to use a Top 5 pick to get a 3 down back.

2014 Top Rushers

Murray - 3rd round
Bell - 2nd round
McCoy - 2nd round
Lynch - 1st round
Forsett - 7th round

2013 Top Rushers

McCoy - 2nd round
Forte - 2nd round
Charles - 3rd round
Morris - 6th round
Peterson - 1st round

2012 Top Rushers

Peterson - 1st round
Morris - 6th round
Lynch - 1st round
Charles - 3rd round
Martin - 1st round

2011 Top Rushers

Jones-Drew - 2nd round
Rice - 2nd round
Turner - 5th round
McCoy - 2nd round
Foster - UDFA

The only year in the last 5 where you see the Top 5 rushers in the league come from the first round was 2015. Peterson, Martin, McFadden, Gurley were first rounders, Ivory was a UDFA. But you've already stated 2015 was a fluke year.

To get a truly elite one, yes you did.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
IF...big if...this was the final board and not just one version...

Looks like they went off board a few times:

• Kendall Hunter (CB) and Conner Cook were available and rated higher than Maleik Collins when they took him. Assume if they took V Butler is the 2nd then one of them would be the 3rd rd pick. So DT had priority.
  • Ronald Blair (DE), Jordan Howard, and Devonte Booker were available and rated higher than Charles Tapper when they took him. Blair would be the surprise pass, as the others were RBs.
  • Jeff Driscoll (QB) was available and rated higher than Dak Prescott when they took him.
  • Anthony Brown and Kavon Frazier appear to be a huge steals by their board.
  • also, just an observation....if they had not taken Elliott and Smith 1-2, then it would have been Ramsey and Henry. And if they had decided to wait even later for RB, they would have gotten great value with several backs according to their board.
I don't think this board discounts for injuries. I believe Fuller (Hunter) had injury issues that may have downgraded him.

Blair may have been viewed as a DT, which wouldn't have been needed after Collins.

Dak was only one spot behind Driscoll so there may have not been any real difference in how they were graded.

I agree with you on Henry being the pick if they had taken Ramsey.

erod

Reaction score
You don't need a "truly elite" one with this OL.

That's the point.

To have a truly elite running game, you do.

The great 70s line had Tony Dorsett. The great 90s line had Emmitt Smith.

Now this line has Zeke Elliott.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I had heard their top 4 were very bunched together. The top two sounded like a coin flip with the scouts having Ramsey and the coaches wanting Zeke.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone think that this might have been leaked on purpose? It gets the team back in the headlines before camp, it "justifies" picking certain players where they were picked, and it seems to keep happening mysteriously.

I could totally see this being something they do on purpose, yes. However you feel about how detrimental it might be, it gets people talking about the Cowboys again, for sure.

But then I also thought they staged the whole 'hitting the LCD board in the preseason' thing for the PR. And the Johnny Manziel draft thing for PR. Jerry loves that stuff--for the betterment of the brand if maybe to the occasional detriment of the team.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't think this board discounts for injuries. I believe Fuller (Hunter) had injury issues that may have downgraded him.

Blair may have been viewed as a DT, which wouldn't have been needed after Collins.

Dak was only one spot behind Driscoll so there may have not been any real difference in how they were graded.

I agree with you on Henry being the pick if they had taken Ramsey.

Correct. Draft boards do not take medicals into consideration.

The board is built and then doctors get their two cents. If a doctor says absolutely not on a guy, that doesn't drop him lower on the board, it removes him.

Sydla

Reaction score
To have a truly elite running game, you do.

The great 70s line had Tony Dorsett. The great 90s line had Emmitt Smith.

Now this line has Zeke Elliott.

You don't need a truly elite running game to win a SB. That's the point you keep missing.

But hey keep thinking that Elliott is the missing ingredient to a SB run.

erod

Reaction score
You don't need a truly elite running game to win a SB. That's the point you keep missing.

But hey keep thinking that Elliott is the missing ingredient to a SB run.

So, Ramsey was the missing ingredient? LOL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like it. It you tend to draft and evaluate players a certain way, it could potentially give your opponents an advantage during the draft where they could predict your next move. Maybe I'm reaching, but I think this info should be kept close to the vest.

When we're the only ones with the leaks coming out, yeah, it stands to reason that we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage somehow. I'm not sure exactly how much it hurts once the hay is in the barn, but it at least looks bad. I'm just saying the post-draft weeks would be a lot more fun if we had more leaked draft boards. That's good content right there.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So, Ramsey was the missing ingredient? LOL

Don't add the most perfect RB for this team in decades because the "book" says we can get someone not as good later and draft another CB/FS instead

It is idiotic thinking that we should settle for good enough at RB with our All World OL instead of going for truly elite

erod

Reaction score
When we're the only ones with the leaks coming out, yeah, it stands to reason that we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage somehow. I'm not sure exactly how much it hurts once the hay is in the barn, but it at least looks bad. I'm just saying the post-draft weeks would be a lot more fun if we had more leaked draft boards. That's good content right there.

I'm not buying the leak theory. This has "Jerry looking for Cowboys spotlight" written all over it.

Plankton

Reaction score

My issue with it is that you spend millions on player evaluation, and spend hours keeping the information confidential to put yourselves in the best position to execute your plan on the day(s) of the draft.

And, with this proprietary information that you have spent millions and a good deal of time and sweat equity on, you allow a picture to be taken of the board that will get leaked at some point? Yes, it is after the draft, but why would you even allow someone with a camera in there that you don't have control of?

Reaction score
I think that the doctor's recommendation of Jaylon Smith's nerve regeneration played a huge role in his eventual selection. Despite his injury status, the front office gave him a solid high first round grade if the information is accurate.

Hopefully the NFL will encourage each franchise into "declassifying" their complete boards sometime after the draft concludes someday. There would not be any real harm done making the information public in my opinion. Sure, there may be annual controversy generated about which player did or didn't get picked where a team was or wasn't expected to select them but enough of it whirls around public speculation of what outsiders think teams did or didn't do during the draft already.

So why not publicize the boards? It would create more general commentary for social media starving constantly for more content to talk about. Good and bad commentary would boost the league's mystique even more among fans. Archiving the information would serve as a great store, injecting more mystical lore into its overall image. For example, I can just imagine how things might turn out for Smith if his knee recovers and he goes on to enjoy a great career...

[from Smith's hall of fame speech] "It's funny looking back at some teams' selection boards. They didn't think much of my chances after my injury. Dallas gave me the opportunity and that's why I'm standing in front of all of you today..."

It irks me even more that Myles Jack was graded right behind Jaylon Smith. We should have taken him and not wasted one more year of Romo and Witten's window.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I love Zeke and am fine with getting him.

But I keep hearing people say that he was deemed a truly elite prospect and the best since AP.
That is not true.
According to most scout services, he was a very strong 1st round back....

Here are a few players rated ahead of him by Scouts Inc in the last few years

99--R Bush
98--A Peterson
98--D McFadden

97--T Richardson
96--R Mendenhall
95--J Stewart
95--CJ Spiller
94--D Willaims
94--K Moreno

93--E Elliott
93--C Wells