All-UFL LB Willie Harvey Jr. plans to sign with the Cowboys

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I prefer REALITY rather than be one of the Polyannas that continually kiss the Front offices feet....
I may kiss their feet, you kiss their butt by still being a fan...now, go away troll

Motorola

Reaction score
so what were your stats in the NFL?
The only team that had any interest was the Browns; signed him several times to the practice squad but never activated him
So tell me why anyone should think this guy is anything
The problem with bottom of the roster and practice squad players is they never get on the field for games. At least in the USFL, the player gets to play, and maybe develop. Hall of Fame QB Kurt Warner is a great example of a guy who was able to develop in the NFL Europe league and Arena League in the 90's, getting to start full time. This was after getting cut by the Packers when he signed as an undrafted free agent in 1994. The famous story about him stocking groceries when he got a call from the Rams is legendary. The next thing you know, he wins the NFL MVP and the Super Bowl as a first year starting QB for the Rams in the 1999 season, and goes on to a HOF career.

Getting playing time can help develop a player more than sitting on the bench and getting a few practice snaps during the week on an NFL practice squad. The NFL really needs to get a developmental league - as shown by how impactful both Turpin and Aubrey have been after spending time in another league actually playing.

What we do know about Harvey is that he led the USFL in tackles and was considered the best linebacker in the league this past season. That is worth a look, no matter how snide and cynical fans want to be about the front office.
The UFL Championship game concluded just less than 48 hours ago; and since then, nine other teams have signed a player from that league.
ATL, CAR, DEN, DET, MIN, NE, NYG, NYJ, SEA.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
You try and compare him to Kurt Warner and now you are backtracking
Really?! Do you have reading comprehension problems?

I gave two examples of players who took time develop, and expressed hope that maybe Harvey might have developed better by getting playing time instead of riding the pine. Hoping he MIGHT BE a good player isn't a claim that he is one. But yes, I am guilty of being willing to withhold judgement until he shows what he can do. Withholding judgement means exactly that - withholding judgement. It isn't a claim he is good, and it isn't a claim he is bad. It certainly isn't a claim he is a "gem."

I am not backtracking at all. There is no need to backtrack from anything I've said.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Or move to Hawaii.
Took this on Saturday.

IMG-1749.jpg

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Good signing on several fronts. At worst he is a camp body. Maybe he bumps someone out because of special teams play and sticks on the roster. We’re not exactly LB rich at the moment so there is a chance for him.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I may kiss their feet, you kiss their butt by still being a fan...now, go away troll
So now you are a board mod wanting to decide who gets to post here?

Not surprised at all you think you actually have power.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Really?! Do you have reading comprehension problems?

I gave two examples of players who took time develop, and expressed hope that maybe Harvey might have developed better by getting playing time instead of riding the pine. Hoping he MIGHT BE a good player isn't a claim that he is one. But yes, I am guilty of being willing to withhold judgement until he shows what he can do. Withholding judgement means exactly that - withholding judgement. It isn't a claim he is good, and it isn't a claim he is bad. It certainly isn't a claim he is a "gem."

I am not backtracking at all. There is no need to backtrack from anything I've said.
So you think this guy is going to matter; obviously using Warner and company. I wonder if you have any idea of how many THOUSANDS like them never sniffed the NFL.
Expecting this guy to matter is such a laugh

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He might be a good find, but I really want to see at DT or a RB signed.
He’s no “find” he already flunked out in the NFL. When you’re not active and free agency, this is what you have to resort to

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's fine. It's a low-risk, very-low cost signing of a player from a developmental league. Exactly the type of signing teams should be making around this time of year.

The problem for many is the team absolutely refuses to participate in unrestricted free agency, so it prompts a lot of the responses you are seeing here.

The Jones, mainly Stephen, has a very stubborn and narrow approach to teambuilding and so far it has proven fruitless. Until that changes, we are going to see this type of response from a huge chunk of the fan base.
You haven't heard of the salary cap? You're smarter than that