All22 Review: Collins vs Leary

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Randle hasn't been good. We've seen the O-Line be very good at times throughout the season.

The problem with Randle is that he doesn't run with power and he knows it. He looks very light out there. And it's very typical for a runner that's not very powerful to dance and be indecisive with his cuts and to do things like try to leap over the pile on the goal line.

I think there's definite room for improvement for Randle and I thought we started to see it better in the Patriots game. But, I don't think he has the makings for the type of runner that works best for this scheme because it's meant for a downhill runner and that's not Randle.

YR

When have we the the OL be "very good" throughout the season?

We've seen Randle consistently get met in the backfield on 1st down. I'm not blaming the OL for this. Im blaming the coaches.

Randle doesn't finish runs with power.. I agree..But him finishing runs is not stopping this offense.

We can't even get Randle or McFadden into the 2nd level of the defense.

You can't run downhill when there a wall and no hill.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're leaving meat on the judging bone.

Perhaps. But I think there's a good reason why the Cowboys are still looking for answers and looking at other options. And plays like this one are a part of the reason why.

I think our current one and two running backs in Randle and McFadden are less than ideally suited for the zone rushing attack. And that's why we're taking a longer look at door number three in Christine Michael.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well, we'll never know what would have happened had he followed the flow of the blocks so it's no point in getting into an overly heated argument about this. The play is done and gone.

So I receive your comments in the spirit in which they are intended as honest observations on your part. :)

Agree. It may have been a huge play..

But with Frederick and Frees guy already causing penetration up field and Cole Beasley blocking on the outside I see absolutely nothing wrong his his decision on his positive run.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don't feel like the whole team is terrible including Randle. I don't think we've seen the best of our OL and I don't think we've seen the best of Joseph Randle.

Predictability and no Romo is crippling our run game.

I don't see what is so great about Randle... He doesn't have all world talent hes an average at best 5-10 carry a game back. He has a piss poor attitude as well and it appears he isn't very coach able.

So why do we expect to see the best of Randle? Hes what 3 years in now? He is what he is, and he is partially to blame for the appeared struggles of the OL, because he isn't good at setting up his blocks. He is always ready to bail on the design of the play, and I would bet my last dollar that this is an issue with the OL and the coaching staff.

That is the only explanation I can think of as to why the OL coach was ready to rip his head off after that almost fumble. Seeing the GIF on that play as well clearly shows there was no reason for him to jump as the hole opened up right to the left.

I never said the whole team was terrible, nor did I imply that. I just don't think Randle is that good and he can be upgraded. If he didn't play next week he wouldn't be missed IMO.

We may not have seen the best of the OL yet, but doesn't help when you have a back that does what he wants. This was something special that Murray brought was his ability to adjust and setup his blockers. They had chemistry. The defense of this below average RB is just weird to me.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I don't think the outside was there. That side of the line was giving ground, so for him to go around the corner he would have had to go very wide, possibly even backwards if Free kept getting pushed. That's typically a recipe for lost yards, not getting the corner. I think he takes it more up the middle off of Fred's left if not for Smith's guy flying in at the feet of Randle making him cut it more to the left. I think Randle's choices might have been the best route to take on this play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Perhaps. But I think there's a good reason why the Cowboys are still looking for answers and looking at other options. And plays like this one are a part of the reason why.

I think our current one and two running backs in Randle and McFadden are less than ideally suited for the zone rushing attack. And that's why we're taking a longer look at door number three in Christine Michael.

I'll tell you why they are looking for answers.. Because they are hoping for a miracle.

Everyone besides Risen Star knows that their predictability has been a hindrance to our offense.

If we come out with the run on 1st and 2nd down and try to get in a manageable 3rd down every series we will get shut down again. I don't care who our RB is.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't see what is so great about Randle... He doesn't have all world talent hes an average at best 5-10 carry a game back. He has a piss poor attitude as well and it appears he isn't very coach able.

So why do we expect to see the best of Randle? Hes what 3 years in now? He is what he is, and he is partially to blame for the appeared struggles of the OL, because he isn't good at setting up his blocks. He is always ready to bail on the design of the play, and I would bet my last dollar that this is an issue with the OL and the coaching staff.

You have made this up in your head.

Randle is good at everything except finishing runs like a power back.

You guys are micro analyzing Randle based on this play and it's a joke.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don't think the outside was there. That side of the line was giving ground, so for him to go around the corner he would have had to go very wide, possibly even backwards if Free kept getting pushed. That's typically a recipe for lost yards, not getting the corner. I think he takes it more up the middle off of Fred's left if not for Smith's guy flying in at the feet of Randle making him cut it more to the left. I think Randle's choices might have been the best route to take on this play.

I disagree the lane started to open up as he made his cut. I think he bailed to early on the play myself

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

People hate Randle so they let that cloud their judgement instead of being fair or they just don't know what they're looking at.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll tell you why they are looking for answers.. Because they are hoping for a miracle.

Everyone besides Risen Star knows that their predictability has been a hindrance to our offense.

If we come out with the run on 1st and 2nd down and try to get in a manageable 3rd down every series we will get shut down again. I don't care who our RB is.

I won't argue with that point one bit. But I will say as well that these running backs have been a less than ideal fit for what they are being asked to do. I don't think either of them are the answer at the position.

The Cowboys hoped they'd be 'good enough' with this offensive line, and they - line included - haven't been.

I saw this same predictability of play calling last year, plenty of us did, but the difference was that the team had the weapons at quarterback and receiver to threaten opposing defense's and to not allow them to simply play those tendencies. And that's not currently the same situation.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You have made this up in your head.

Randle is good at everything except finishing runs like a power back.

You guys are micro analyzing Randle based on this play and it's a joke.

That's a strong remark there Catch... You are really holding onto this guy like he is the second coming. He isn't as good as you've made him out to be in your head. They will look to upgrade from this guy because he isn't that good.

You're a fanboy of his and we get that so you will just disagree because you see it as a fan of Randles.

We are analyzing this play because it's not the only play, but its a great example, I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt over the fact that some of us do not care for Randle or his lack of talent. Don't turn into Bleu Star when he had his love affair for Choice... Sorry @Bleu Star hehe

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I won't argue with that point one bit. But I will say as well that these running backs have been a less than ideal fit for what they are being asked to do. I don't think either of them are the answer at the position.

The Cowboys hoped they'd be 'good enough' with this offensive line, and they - line included - haven't been.

I saw this same predictability of play calling last year, plenty of us did, but the difference was that the team had the weapons at quarterback and receiver to threaten opposing defense's and to not allow them to simply play those tendencies. And that's not currently the same situation.

We had Romo, Dez, and we caught everyone with their pants down from being one of the most pass oriented teams in the league to one of the most run oriented teams.

Dallas is full of tendencies and with a year of film out there on us I think that is playing a part along with the lack of Romo.

I don't think Randle is the long term answer either but im not putting the lack of run game on his shoulders or the OL's.

Im putting it on predictability and no Romo.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Which lane/cut?

Fred was sealing off his block, Collins was at the second level and smith had just made his cut block as Randle bounched outside. That lane opened up, and it could've gone for more yards. I have no doubts that Murray takes that hole, as he would've waited for the play to develop there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's a strong remark there Catch... You are really holding onto this guy like he is the second coming. He isn't as good as you've made him out to be in your head. They will look to upgrade from this guy because he isn't that good.

You're a fanboy of his and we get that so you will just disagree because you see it as a fan of Randles.

We are analyzing this play because it's not the only play, but its a great example, I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt over the fact that some of us do not care for Randle or his lack of talent. Don't turn into Bleu Star when he had his love affair for Choice... Sorry @Bleu Star hehe

Im a realist.

Randle is good at everything except finishing runs.

The big worry was that he couldn't pass block. Well he has been solid at worst.

So he catches well, makes big plays when he gets to the 2nd level, and is a solid at worst blocker.

Regardless of what some of you have made up in your head I think he does read his blocks very well.

If there is a legit complaint about what he doesn't give us it's that maybe Murray gets us to 2nd and 9 instead of 2nd and 10 like Randle does when the entire world knows what we're about to do.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
People hate Randle so they let that cloud their judgement instead of being fair or they just don't know what they're looking at.

Your love for Randle is clouding your judgement as well. You see all this positive and others do not, so I would say the same about you Catch I don't think you know what you're looking at either.

I like you as a poster so I'm going to end this here as I don't want it to get ugly. So we will agree to disagree

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Agree. It may have been a huge play..

But with Frederick and Frees guy already causing penetration up field and Cole Beasley blocking on the outside I see absolutely nothing wrong his his decision on his positive run.

Same here, that hole closed in a hurry and waiting any longer would have been a disaster. He made the right decision.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fred was sealing off his block, Collins was at the second level and smith had just made his cut block as Randle bounched outside. That lane opened up, and it could've gone for more yards. I have no doubts that Murray takes that hole, as he would've waited for the play to develop there.

Have you seen some of the obvious holes that Murray missed and you have no doubt he would've hit that hole? Come on.

That was not an easy read to make.