Always draft BPA but how do you hope the draft falls?

Verdict

Reaction score
Everything I saw had him as a top 20 type talent. All signs show we took him as BPA.

He's actually a great example of why you don't use BPA to draft.

There were actually several sources who did not have Taco graded as a 1st round pick. He had a limited body of work to go off of.

kskboys

Reaction score
Reuben Foster was BPA when Taco was selected.
Depends on your source.

That's another problem w/ BPA. Who is determining BPA? The term keeps being referred to on here as some black and white set in stone strategy. It is not. There are players every draft who are rated anywhere from the 1st round to the 5th. What then?

BPA is a terrible strategy, though a team should definitely take into account the difference in talent between players when looking at what is needed and what is available.

kskboys

Reaction score
There were actually several sources who did not have Taco graded as a 1st round pick. He had a limited body of work to go off of.
Which is another point. I have 3 sources who did. Who you going by?

BTW, I didn't care for the Taco pick. I also would've taken Foster. The need at ILB was there and Taco was a project pick, and I'm against project picks in the first.

Verdict

Reaction score
Which is another point. I have 3 sources who did. Who you going by?

BTW, I didn't care for the Taco pick. I also would've taken Foster. The need at ILB was there and Taco was a project pick, and I'm against project picks in the first.

I haven't said that there weren't people saying Taco was a first round graded player. I'm saying he wasn't a concensus first round pick. And YES many people considered him over drafted the day we made the pick.

Hardline

Reaction score
Depends on your source.

That's another problem w/ BPA. Who is determining BPA? The term keeps being referred to on here as some black and white set in stone strategy. It is not. There are players every draft who are rated anywhere from the 1st round to the 5th. What then?

BPA is a terrible strategy, though a team should definitely take into account the difference in talent between players when looking at what is needed and what is available.
Before the draft Foster was rated in the top 10 from practically everyone.
While drafting BPA can sometimes backfire on you it's the best method for drafting.

DanA

Reaction score
Before the draft Foster was rated in the top 10 from practically everyone.
While drafting BPA can sometimes backfire on you it's the best method for drafting.

I think it’s a dubious method. You should take the best player you can properly utilise. If theyre a bad scheme fit, don’t take them, if you have other players that block their first team opportunities long term...don’t draft them.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think it’s a dubious method. You should take the best player you can properly utilise. If theyre a bad scheme fit, don’t take them, if you have other players that block their first team opportunities long term...don’t draft them.
You don't worry about scheme fit.
Thats how you end up with Taco over TJ Watt. You take BPA and hash it out in training camp.
Or you can trade down and take the next tier of talent

cnuball21

Reaction score
Foster was a problem off the field...that’s why he fell.

Taco was drafted as a fringe 1st rounder where pretty much every scouting report has him. He just hasn’t developed well...doesn’t mean he’s a reach.

DanA

Reaction score
You don't worry about scheme fit.
Thats how you end up with Taco over TJ Watt. You take BPA and hash it out in training camp.
Or you can trade down and take the next tier of talent

I disagree about TJ Watt not being a scheme fit. He was 6’4 252lbs and 33.5 inch arms. Easily could play at 265lbs and been our RDE, especially when Randy Gregory was looking a lost cause.

That’s very different to a guy that’s 230lbs and limited length. We hadn’t seen it, but TJ Watt playing as a 4-3 DE was a projection I was in favor of, he was my preferred pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I disagree about TJ Watt not being a scheme fit. He was 6’4 252lbs and 33.5 inch arms. Easily could play at 265lbs and been our RDE, especially when Randy Gregory was looking a lost cause.

That’s very different to a guy that’s 230lbs and limited length. We hadn’t seen it, but TJ Watt playing as a 4-3 DE was a projection I was in favor of, he was my preferred pick.

I always wonder if the injury history had more to do with it than the front office led on.

If they truly didn’t draft him for “scheme fit” that’s dumb as rocks.

cristglo

Reaction score
BPA usually goes to what the team values when building their board. every team/scout see players in a different way thats why you have so many different boards. Of course many teams want a player that fits their system so they will build their board that way. If a player drops that is BPA and you are stacked at that position thats where hopefully you can trade out of that spot. Doesnt always work that way one can only hope. Sticking with your board and trusting your scouts is always your best bet IMO

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Let's also look at this another way. The year we drafted Taco, it was supposedly deep at DB and particularly at corner.

How would our team have looked if we had passed on Taco and drafted a DB at his spot? We could have stud corner, Awuzie, and Lewis out of that draft and Byron could be trade bait and save the cap hit for Byron.

Instead it appears, so far, like we got a swing and a miss on Taco

That DB likely would have been Kevin King who has been such as swing and a miss that Green Bay drafted CB in the 1st and 2nd round last year.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I don't think he was the BPA when we drafted. I think we forced the pick based on need hoping he would replace Tanks $18M per year upcoming contract.

Dalvin Cook was the only remaining player with a 1st round grade by the Cowboys when they selected Taco. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have made much sense to take a RB in the 1st round a year after taking Zeke.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dalvin Cook was the only remaining player with a 1st round grade by the Cowboys when they selected Taco. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have made much sense to take a RB in the 1st round a year after taking Zeke.

It would have been much better to take Cook than Taco in the same spot in retrospect.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
3T is the most ideal. It allows for 2 things:

Crawford stay at RE on run downs to help set the edge.

Move Collins to backup role where he’s more likely to stay healthy. His body doesn’t hold up to 65 snaps a game.

Let Woods prove his worth at 1T next year and if he’s just average draft another 1T in 2020.

cnuball21

Reaction score
3T is the most ideal. It allows for 2 things:

Crawford stay at RE on run downs to help set the edge.

Move Collins to backup role where he’s more likely to stay healthy. His body doesn’t hold up to 65 snaps a game.

Let Woods prove his worth at 1T next year and if he’s just average draft another 1T in 2020.

I’m down with 3T, but if we’re going to go that route please stoop drafting these pass rush DTs that can’t stop the run. We need someone that can anchor, and get off blocks to effect the run.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I want them to draft Deebo Samuel.

Deebo isn’t a blazer, but he’s a darn good player.

I like him, just not with our first selection.

On a run first team, with a QB that checks down a TON, he’d likely be our 4th receiving option.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never draft using BPA, but don't take players rated a lot lower just because of need.
No matter how good a player is, if they aren’t realistic projections to start in the next 4-years there’s no point drafting them. That can be scheme fit, or because of the roster or whatever.

For instance:
If we are plan to keep Zeke, and Jaylon there’s no point drafting a feature back or MIKE in the 1st round and it’s dubious even in the 2nd. That’s rich for a backup role in cheap positions. Maybe a RB that can play a slot/return punts but never a Dereck Henry type.

I wouldn’t draft a OC in the 1st/2nd (assuming Fredbeard is healthy) unless they have OG position flex.

I wouldn’t draft a 3-4 OLB, two years ago I would have but if Lawrence returns, with Gregory, Taco, Crawford and Armstrong it’s not gonna give us bang for buck. And I especially wouldn’t gamble of a bad character guy in the position.

The scheme doesn’t utilise a TE that can’t block so it’d take some convincing (New OC) to draft a guy like Fant over Kaden Smith when Smith IMO isn’t as good.

I wouldn’t draft a FS early if we signed Earl Thomas.

BPA isn’t realistic, every roster has positions where a player no matter how talented wouldn’t get used.

BPA is a tier concept after about the top 20 picks in the draft and definitely in the 2nd round and later.

I call it near-BPA.

If they have multiple players all rated within about 10 spots of each other available at #58, then they obviously should use need/fit to make the pick.

If a player they have rated as a 1st round pick makes it to #58, then need should take a back seat to talent.

It is very rare a team drafts a player that ends up being very good to great and regrets picking that player.

The Cowboys passed on RB LeSean McCoy in 2009 because they had Felix and Barber. McCoy was available at the Cowboys 2nd round pick and he was the only available player they had rated as a 1st round pick. The Cowboys entire draft class that year ended up with minimal value as compared to McCoy.

Also drafting with an assumption that a player picked at #58 or lower will be a starter as a rookie is a fail waiting to happen.

I would be happy with an OT at #58. The Cowboys can win with the TEs on the roster would be doomed if Tyron missed the season.

RB Alvin Kamara in the 3rd round of the 2017 draft would be a nice player to have on the roster, especially in 2017 when Zeke was suspended.

What if the Cowboys had an earlier pick in the 2nd round of the 2018 draft and had drafted LB Darius Leonard after drafting Vander Esch in the 1st?
  • NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (2018)
  • AP First Team All-Pro (2018)
  • 2x AFC Defensive Player of the Week (Week 2, 2018; Week 17, 2018)
  • AFC Defensive Player of the Month (December 2018)
  • NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month (September