Twitter: Amari Cooper Highest Percentage of Dropped Passes In 2019

jay94

Reaction score
Before last game he easily dropped 2 a game. I will say in his defense, he made such good plays/separation it negated it. He needs hands coaching for sure.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
A couple of us on here got crapped on for bringing up Cooper's suspect hands and ghosting that was a huge red flag for the Raiders. Well after leading the league in drops in 2015 and 2017, not looking so good so far in 2019. Wanting to get a big contract, this isn't the best way to go about it.

For those unaware, Cooper had a terrible 2015 and 2017 with being historic with his drop rate. He was there with guys like the great Braylon Edwards and Greg Little.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”

So you are happy that Cooper has the highest percentage of drops?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Amari Cooper has a 72.4% catch rate.

Dez had a career 58% catch rate.

Julio Jones has a 62% catch rate this season.

Cooper's lowest catch rate in a game this season is 62.5%.
But isn’t catch rate greatly impacted by how many deep routes the player runs or rather how many passes are thrown to him deep?

Jack Doyle is apparently the all time leader in catch rate. Or was.

I’m all about Cooooop, but he has 3-5? drops this year and I’d like it to be more like 1.

Cmac

Reaction score
I don't trust Cooper to be our #1. I'd rather give Gallup a chance to earn that distinction. So I say we tag Cooper next year then let him walk after 2020.
Last year everybody was heaping high praise on him......and as soon as he gets paid.....he's gonna get treated like Zeke. Now we hoisting Gallup up as the next savior for Dak & the team.....already? This sounds like High Production/Low Market Value for everybody but a select few....hmmm! Tony Romo never turned down money.....0 rings.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ahahahaahaha. Gotta love it. Cooper essentially saves our team and now it’s time to bring up his lack of hands. It’s a interesting stat though. Doesn’t feel like he’s dropped that many balls. Seems like when the game is on the line or we need a big catch he’s there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Last year everybody was heaping high praise on him......and as soon as he gets paid.....he's gonna get treated like Zeke. Now we hoisting Gallup up as the next savior for Dak & the team.....already? This sounds like High Production/Low Market Value for everybody but a select few....hmmm! Tony Romo never turned down money.....0 rings.
You see how they are lol? This is how they get back at guys who want to get paid. Wait until they have a bad game and crap on them. As if they are paying his salary lol.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
A couple of us on here got crapped on for bringing up Cooper's suspect hands and ghosting that was a huge red flag for the Raiders. Well after leading the league in drops in 2015 and 2017, not looking so good so far in 2019. Wanting to get a big contract, this isn't the best way to go about it.

For those unaware, Cooper had a terrible 2015 and 2017 with being historic with his drop rate. He was there with guys like the great Braylon Edwards and Greg Little.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”

Nothing new...he has always had the "drops"....another reason why he sits well below the elite.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Don’t know if this is true or not. The article you liked is from April. I’m not surprised you would try and dig up some dirt on one of the Cowboys though.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Before last game he easily dropped 2 a game. I will say in his defense, he made such good plays/separation it negated it. He needs hands coaching for sure.

"Coaching" is the answer, yet again. :rolleyes:

He's been a WR for years. He knows how to catch a football. Dropped passes from someone with his talent is a lack of concentration. That's on him.

John813

Reaction score
Hard to kick old habits. But last year in Dallas he was able to curtail that quite a bit.

I think it's just one of the few negatives that comes with Cooper every once in a while. He has elite route running and very good speed.

Would be curious to see clips of the passes that were considered drops. Not that I'm going to white knight for Cooper, just curious what counts as a drop.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The drops are concerning when the guy is going to be asking for 20+ million per next year.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Problem is I've only seen him drop one pass and it was a little off

shabazz

Reaction score
Oh are we turning on Amari Cooper now?

I was thinking the same thing. Although he does have some deficiency's, didn't his arrival last season completely turn around our fortunes? We were drowning till he showed up. I say take the good with the bad