Twitter: Amari Cooper Highest Percentage of Dropped Passes In 2019

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A couple of us on here got crapped on for bringing up Cooper's suspect hands and ghosting that was a huge red flag for the Raiders. Well after leading the league in drops in 2015 and 2017, not looking so good so far in 2019. Wanting to get a big contract, this isn't the best way to go about it.

For those unaware, Cooper had a terrible 2015 and 2017 with being historic with his drop rate. He was there with guys like the great Braylon Edwards and Greg Little.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”

I want cooper cut tomorrow......he doesn't deserve a penny for this performance :muttley:

exciter

Reaction score
Stomping of feet is not the same as discussing drop rates.
There were people collectively loosing their $%÷! over that trade and repeatedly bringing up those drop #s for at least 2 weeks after the trade! Little secret, it's the same people bringing them up now!

silvrNblue

Reaction score
My 2 cents on him, he hasn't dropped any that cost us a win so far, as I can recollect... I could be wrong, but I recall him making catches that have WON us games more often... and we have to give some benefit of the doubt here, he hasn't caused TO's from tipping, bouncing passes off his hands either. And I seem to recall a certain WR on this team that was notorious for doing that crap...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It was a huge topic. It was possibly the #1 reason stated by detractors of the deal.

For the record, I was a detractor. Looking back at the deal, I think it was a FANTASTIC deal.

Drops aside, Cooper is a top WR, arguably top 5.

I was against giving up a 1st. Maybe having my own reason I found compelling, I was less interested in the drops conversion.

Maybe top 5. Maybe only top 5 when his head is on right. Maybe not top 5 at all after he puts out more tape like Sunday. If DBs didn't know before, they do now. Play him physically.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
A couple of us on here got crapped on for bringing up Cooper's suspect hands and ghosting that was a huge red flag for the Raiders. Well after leading the league in drops in 2015 and 2017, not looking so good so far in 2019. Wanting to get a big contract, this isn't the best way to go about it.

For those unaware, Cooper had a terrible 2015 and 2017 with being historic with his drop rate. He was there with guys like the great Braylon Edwards and Greg Little.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”

I was never sold on him as a #1. He came to the Cowboys at the right time and really helped get the offense going, but that's because the Cowboys didn't have anything going at all at WR.

The Natural

Reaction score
He’s a body catcher. All that route running is cool and all but guess what, some guys in the league can cover too. The difference with the truly elite guys is even when covered you can throw the ball up and they make a play.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I'm sure the lack of repetition he's getting or not getting due to his injuries have contributed to his drop rate. If I'm not mistaken his injury was diagnosed early in training camp, he's also been limited in practice, that's a lot of time to miss. I don't look for it to continue.

Zeke missed a lot of time to and he has yet to look like his old self.
Or Travis Frederick, Or Zach Martin with his back. Same with Tyron.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Lol you just dont mess with anybody on the team huh?
I do

Im just tired of clowns on here crappin on GOATs of this franchise just because they arent on the team any longer.

Go back and Read some of the hate-filled comments about Dez after Amari’s first game here. Its sickening

Picture yourself bashing Zeke once he leaves here, despite spending 8 years doing the feed me gesture after every first down :laugh:

aikemirv

Reaction score
The Era of fake news....

Someone can take a simple twitter post with no backup and create a 6 page thread as if the original post were undisputed truth.

He has 3 official drops this season on 29 targets and does not lead the league by any stretch percentage wise!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The Era of fake news....

Someone can take a simple twitter post with no backup and create a 6 page thread as if the original post were undisputed truth.

He has 3 official drops this season on 29 targets and does not lead the league by any stretch percentage wise!

It's backed up by PFF as well - they had 3 right now, there is a drop in the Saints game making it 4. Not sure what world we live in where 4 drops in 4 weeks is a good thing. But okay.

For comparison - Dez had 8 drops through 16 games a couple years ago and this place wanted him gone.

T-RO

Reaction score
Amari Cooper has a 72.4% catch rate.

Dez had a career 58% catch rate.

Julio Jones has a 62% catch rate this season.

Cooper's lowest catch rate in a game this season is 62.5%.

This. I care most about overall production per throw going in his direction.

Man this forum turns negative fast.

aikemirv

Reaction score

aikemirv

Reaction score
This. I care most about overall production per throw going in his direction.

Man this forum turns negative fast.

I could be wrong but I think Cowboys receivers are going to have a better catch rate because Dak rarely throws the ball away. He will take a sack over an incompletion and always checkdown versus the very low percentage passes. You don't see that with a lot of the other QB's

mattjames2010

Reaction score

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Amari Cooper has a 72.4% catch rate.

Dez had a career 58% catch rate.

Julio Jones has a 62% catch rate this season.

Cooper's lowest catch rate in a game this season is 62.5%.
@stilltheguru exhibit A

The fake scout always taking jabs at Dez with his misleading/cherry-picked stats

Dez’ catch rate only became a problem once he had bums throwing to him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
That's already inaccurate since Ebron actually leads the NFL in drops. He's not tied. Also, funnily enough people here tend to not know what a drop is - if we go with what this place claims, Fox Sports has Cobb with 2 drops - yet this place has said Cobb dropped passes in the Commanders game, and two against the Saints.

Ebron is right there at the top of the list!

And they are wrong and I have disputed them as well. A contested pass is not a drop and neither is one behind you either. I would love to see this so called drop that Amari had in the Saints game. Could you point me to it. And while Cobb should have caught his, I don't think most statisticians would call it a drop since it was behind his head.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ebron is right there at the top of the list!

And they are wrong and I have disputed them as well. A contested pass is not a drop and neither is one behind you either. I would love to see this so called drop that Amari had in the Saints game. Could you point me to it. And while Cobb should have caught his, I don't think most statisticians would call it a drop since it was behind his head.

Not everyone agrees with "Contested catches" don't count as drops. Plenty of people measure a drop as "if WR gets two hands on it, he should be able to catch it" - I believe context matters, but in this case, it wouldn't just be Cooper that is getting hit with these flaws but all WRs. It would need to be fair and I'm not about to go through every single WR film to get the accurate number based on my interpretation of a catch.

As of right now, Cooper either has 3 or 4 drops through 4 games. This is not good either way, especially since he was relatively sure handed last year.

And I said Ebron leads, he isn't tied. he went into the game with 3, he had 2 drops in the games against the Colts. He has 5 (and honestly, this is being kind to him)